Libre alarms not working.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I have just moved to Libra 2 and yesterday night I went hypo, but the alarm only went off once I turned on the reader, is it normal? Should the reader always be on in order to send the alarms?? Please let me know as it was the first time I've used it.
As you can see from the above posts alarms can be an issue. I have the problem of repeated false low warnings despite setting the threshold low at 3.7. Blood test usually shows above 5.7. i guess we have to live with these anomalies. As for your last question, no you don’t need to have the reader on for alarms. It will keep going off by itself anyway after about a minute to save the battery charge. Bear in mind that you will need to do a finger prick test every time you get an unexpected high or low reading.

Reactions: dex71

sheppie1965

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I have just moved to Libra 2 and yesterday night I went hypo, but the alarm only went off once I turned on the reader, is it normal? Should the reader always be on in order to send the alarms?? Please let me know as it was the first time I've used it.
Nobody, including Abbotts, will give me a reader for my libre 2. Everyone tells me I have to use my mobile. The alarms used to work, now they don't

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

Grandadfatboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogant, abusive, greedy people
Here is my experience with the Libre 2. I was prescribed the L2 a year ago and soon found out to switch off the "Signal Loss Alarm" very quickly. It would go off frequently throughout the night, commonly because I was laying on my side on which the sensor was placed.

I always switch my phone to Do Not Disturb of a night, but allowing notifications from the Libre app. When switching to Do Not Disturb I get the signal loss alarm warning me that alarms are unavailable and to scan my sensor. When switching off Do Not Disturb this warning would disappear.

However, following an update to my phone (Samsung S20+) I get the warning of signal loss and to scan my sensor, which I do, but the message remains the same whether or not the phone is on Do Not Disturb or not. It doesn't appear to affected anything else, despite my adjusting all the settings to remove this signal loss warning. Incidentally, since the phone update a few other apps have not worked exactly as before.

I have been experiencing this issue since early-mid November, which was timed with the phone software update. I always make sure that there is enough battery to see the phone through the night, as I scan every time I get up to go to the toilet.

Is anyone trialling the L3? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, good, bad or indifferent.

Kitboyd

Here is my experience with the Libre 2. I was prescribed the L2 a year ago and soon found out to switch off the "Signal Loss Alarm" very quickly. It would go off frequently throughout the night, commonly because I was laying on my side on which the sensor was placed.

I always switch my phone to Do Not Disturb of a night, but allowing notifications from the Libre app. When switching to Do Not Disturb I get the signal loss alarm warning me that alarms are unavailable and to scan my sensor. When switching off Do Not Disturb this warning would disappear.

However, following an update to my phone (Samsung S20+) I get the warning of signal loss and to scan my sensor, which I do, but the message remains the same whether or not the phone is on Do Not Disturb or not. It doesn't appear to affected anything else, despite my adjusting all the settings to remove this signal loss warning. Incidentally, since the phone update a few other apps have not worked exactly as before.

I have been experiencing this issue since early-mid November, which was timed with the phone software update. I always make sure that there is enough battery to see the phone through the night, as I scan every time I get up to go to the toilet.

Is anyone trialling the L3? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, good, bad or indifferent.
I also have an Samsung S20 and nothing is working with the alarms anymore - was just typing this into another thread:

I'm having problems with this too over the last month. Signal loss goes off all the time even when I've just scanned the libre 2 with my Samsung S20. When I turn phone off and on, the alarms work for 10 minutes, then don't work at all. Had low blood sugar and high blood sugar with no alarms going off at all over the last few weeks. Have to turn off the signal loss alarm because it's just not working properly and when I do scan it still says signal loss. Woke up at 4am with low blood sugar and no alarms have gone off despite being low for over an hour according to the readings and yes I have all the correct settings to override DND etc....very exasperating for something that worked so well in the past. I've had this phone for 6 months and it used to work fine...this problem has only recently started...

Reactions: Grandadfatboy

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As stated on another thread I have a Libre 3 on at the moment-a freebie as a reward for taking part in a trial. I love it’s size, less waste and the no scanning, though obviously I have to activate the phone to be able to see the reading. It is more in need of being in range to keep showing a reading so I carry my phone with me most of the time, even hanging out washing. Because if you are out of range it can be quite some time before it reattaches itself to the signal and obviously you cannot scan. It’s accuracy is similar to a 2 for me which I have never had an issue with. I do not expect the same accuracy as a blood test, but do not get hung up over that. The trends and how I feel are important. I long ago switched signal loss off on my 2 and have done the same for 3. The warnings come up on my phone, but I ignore them and they do eventually go off. I have never had problems with high and low alarms not going off on either my 2 or 3 app. I have an I Phone 12 mini.
The biggest issue for me is losing the running TIR. It was something to aim for and try and beat the previous days score. But a week in I am more relaxed about it. The likely hood of getting it on script anytime soon is unlikely according to the trial staff I dealt with. We will see. Before we know it they will have a Libre 4 that everyone is hankering after. I am just grateful for where we are now, which is a long way away from peeing on a stick and having to stick to a strict eating regime and big needles. It is not always perfect, but when we are not happy with the technology we still have blood tests we can fall back on.

Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Signal loss? I use a Galaxy note 9 with a 3rd party app for the “CGM experience” on my phone with the libre 2.
What I do to keep stability & BT connection is every time I change my sensor. I go to phone settings, then apps, then “systems apps.”
Find Bluetooth, then clear the memory & cache. Then restart the phone..

You could try that?

It’s a theory I have that a sort of “ghosting” of the “ID” from the previous sensor could be tricking the phone & app, that connection was lost??

Kitboyd

I've just looked at the app reviews in the Play store and many people are having issues with signal loss and no alarms going off since November. Abbott are failing to deal with this issue. I had another hypo in the night with no alarm despite all correct settings. When people ring them up, they just go through the script. I'm going to try talking to someone, but this is a known issue now so not sure what the point is if they are getting lots of calls about it........

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. This is a well known problem and not due to a faulty sensor. It's a problem between Bluetooth and typically mobile phones with Android. The recent Android 13 update appears to have made it worse. Google, who provide Android are apparently looking into it, but have been for 6 months or more. Abbott appear to be sitting on the fence and some of their staff are unaware of the problem and just provide sensor replacements which don't help. I find if I turn Bluetooth off and back on again, after a few minutes the Alarms error clears only to come back again later.

stevee6828

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold tea, poor food, stress
Hi all,
Just for the record, I started using the Abbotts Libre reader and sensors from time to time, a few years ago, self funded. In the last year I now regularly use this system on prescription. I have noticed in the last six months, that the sensors are often malfunctioning...giving me hypo readings while the comparative blood prick test readings are normal (6 mm or higher). I have had countless telephone conversations with Abbott, and after lengthly exchanges regarding particular instances of malfunction, they replace the sensor or reader. One agent told me that there have been batches of faulty sensors, and that Abbotts is doing their best to resolve these issues. Meantime the last three sensors ive used, have given me faulty readings...this means interrupted sleep with false hypo alarms incorrectly going off, resulting in frustration and anxiety about my control. Lets hope the faulty tech of the sensors situation, improves. Steve

Alectron

SInce changing from Libre 1 to Libre 2 I've noticed many, many more sensor failures, most have been successfully replaced by Abbot without issues.
However, the constant error 335 I'm getting now is extremely annoying and difficult to manage.
Nothing is different about the way I use Libre 2 or my Samsung device.
Why is this happening?

Grandadfatboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I also have an Samsung S20 and nothing is working with the alarms anymore - was just typing this into another thread:

I'm having problems with this too over the last month. Signal loss goes off all the time even when I've just scanned the libre 2 with my Samsung S20. When I turn phone off and on, the alarms work for 10 minutes, then don't work at all. Had low blood sugar and high blood sugar with no alarms going off at all over the last few weeks. Have to turn off the signal loss alarm because it's just not working properly and when I do scan it still says signal loss. Woke up at 4am with low blood sugar and no alarms have gone off despite being low for over an hour according to the readings and yes I have all the correct settings to override DND etc....very exasperating for something that worked so well in the past. I've had this phone for 6 months and it used to work fine...this problem has only recently started...
This has now become the case for me also. Initially it warned me with the alarm, but on one occasion only. Since then it refuses to give me any alarms at all. I am now convinced it is the recent Samsung update for my S20 that is causing the problem.

This has become an issue, as I've had to very low readings on 2 separate nights in the last week, with no alarm. My only saving grace is the fact that I get up so often to go to the toilet in the night, and I scan every time I wake up.

On 21st Dec my BG dropped to 3.1 (FP was 4.0), and I had a 3.8 (FP was 4.6) last night. I spent the morning playing with the settings to see if I could get the alarms to work, and still they don't.

I thought I'd be clever and download the app to my Samsung S9, and get around it that way, and test on the S9 overnight. Once the app was opened and I scanned my sensor, I was immediately given the message that alarms wouldn't work on the S9 as it was not the phone used to start the sensor.

It was whilst using the S9, I noticed that I had messages sent from my X-wrist watch app. When I got the watch, I thought the app that connects with the watch was just simply rubbish. The fact is, it does work, and I'm able to access all the information from my watch on the S9, which just confirms my suspicions that the recent update for the S20 is flawed.

I had a "chat" in Facebook messenger with Samsung, as following the update I had no WiFi Calling as an option. An option that was available and active prior to update. They fobbed me off with WiFi calling is activated by your carrier, and wouldn't entertain the the update had anything to do with it not now being available.

I'm just so frustrated with my S20, and at Samsung too.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If the reader is switched off, it cannot receive the alarms.

Grandadfatboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Plus you won't get the alarms on the reader if you started the sensor with your phone.

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This has now become the case for me also. Initially it warned me with the alarm, but on one occasion only. Since then it refuses to give me any alarms at all. I am now convinced it is the recent Samsung update for my S20 that is causing the problem.

This has become an issue, as I've had to very low readings on 2 separate nights in the last week, with no alarm. My only saving grace is the fact that I get up so often to go to the toilet in the night, and I scan every time I wake up.

On 21st Dec my BG dropped to 3.1 (FP was 4.0), and I had a 3.8 (FP was 4.6) last night. I spent the morning playing with the settings to see if I could get the alarms to work, and still they don't.

I thought I'd be clever and download the app to my Samsung S9, and get around it that way, and test on the S9 overnight. Once the app was opened and I scanned my sensor, I was immediately given the message that alarms wouldn't work on the S9 as it was not the phone used to start the sensor.

It was whilst using the S9, I noticed that I had messages sent from my X-wrist watch app. When I got the watch, I thought the app that connects with the watch was just simply rubbish. The fact is, it does work, and I'm able to access all the information from my watch on the S9, which just confirms my suspicions that the recent update for the S20 is flawed.

I had a "chat" in Facebook messenger with Samsung, as following the update I had no WiFi Calling as an option. An option that was available and active prior to update. They fobbed me off with WiFi calling is activated by your carrier, and wouldn't entertain the the update had anything to do with it not now being available.

@Grandadfatboy don't be too harsh on Samsung. When you buy a mobile phone you pay to receive for a period of time upgrades to your mobile's operating system, as well as security patches. Those upgrades and security patches are supposed to make your mobile phone more stable and less vulnerable to being hacked.

My understanding is that it is up to software developers (Abbott in this case with Freestyle Librelink) to ensure that their software is compatible with operating system updates and security patches.

You can of course change the settings on your mobile phone so that in future the phone doesn't update its system software automatically. Samsung are usually very good at walking customers through how to do that.

As long as you appreciate that not updating your mobile's system software when available may make your phone less stable and less secure.

I understand from other forums that the issues you have mentioned have also happened to other (non Samsung) Android mobile phones (Pixel), as well as some iPhones.

The current issues with no alarms and scanning issues also coincide with Abbott updating its Freestyle Librelink app twice: in November and December 2022.

Until Abbott fix the problems with Librelink, I am using their Freestyle Libre 2 Reader. You might want to consider using the Libre 2 Reader for the time being too.

Reactions: Grandadfatboy

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I've never had an alarm sound on my phone when I go high or low just using the sensor so I'm continuing to use the Miaomiao2. It works but is big and ugly and would like to be able to fix it

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@Grandadfatboy don't be too harsh on Samsung. When you buy a mobile phone you pay to receive for a period of time upgrades to your mobile's operating system, as well as security patches. Those upgrades and security patches are supposed to make your mobile phone more stable and less vulnerable to being hacked.

My understanding is that it is up to software developers (Abbott in this case with Freestyle Librelink) to ensure that their software is compatible with operating system updates and security patches.

You can of course change the settings on your mobile phone so that in future the phone doesn't update its system software automatically. Samsung are usually very good at walking customers through how to do that.

As long as you appreciate that not updating your mobile's system software when available may make your phone less stable and less secure.

I understand from other forums that the issues you have mentioned have also happened to other (non Samsung) Android mobile phones (Pixel), as well as some iPhones.

The current issues with no alarms and scanning issues also coincide with Abbott updating its Freestyle Librelink app twice: in November and December 2022.

Until Abbott fix the problems with Librelink, I am using their Freestyle Libre 2 Reader. You might want to consider using the Libre 2 Reader for the time being too.
wish I could get a Freestyle Libre 2 reader

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wish I could get a Freestyle Libre 2 reader
@SueJB I didn't have any problems getting Abbott to send me a Libre 2 Reader.

If you are using the Freestyle Librelink app on your phone and you are having problems at the moment with getting low or high glucose alarms, or issues scanning with Librelink on your mobile, you should be able to insist that Abbott sends you a Freestyle Libre 2 Reader immediately. That's what I did.

BadaBing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never had an alarm sound on my phone when I go high or low just using the sensor so I'm continuing to use the Miaomiao2. It works but is big and ugly and would like to be able to fix it
You shouldn't have to rely on third party software and third party products, none of which has been submitted to the official, government-backed UK medical device regulator (the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency) to be scrutinised to check that they work and are safe and then licensed officially by the UK regulator for use by patients; third party apps and products which also haven't been authorised or recommended officially by any of the manufacturers of flash glucose monitors or continuous glucose monitors.

My understanding is that many of these unauthorised/unlicensed third party apps/products only work intermittently at best.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB I didn't have any problems getting Abbott to send me a Libre 2 Reader.

If you are using the Freestyle Librelink app on your phone and you are having problems at the moment with getting low or high glucose alarms, or issues scanning with Librelink on your mobile, you should be able to insist that Abbott sends you a Freestyle Libre 2 Reader immediately. That's what I did.
Wow, thanks @BadaBing , hope that's true. I'll give it a go in the New Year. I don't want to buy a new phone but would so like to not have to stick on the Miaomiao

andyndee

I have a 20fe and for the last few month readings have been awful so I'm guessing it is more a phone issue than the libre2.
I'm forever getting the signal lost message but the most annoying thing is that when you scan the sensor it has an error message sometimes 10 to 15 times error messages, then it may say try again in 10 minutes !!!.
I had it the other day I did a check it was within my spec settings I have it set at 5.3 to 10 so I think the reading was 8 sticks Mt phone back in my pocket and the low alarm goes off scans my arm 3.1 ? We are talking less than a minute later. Last night at work I was going for my dinner at 01.00 I hadn't checked my sugar levels for maybe 4 hrs and it's on 18 and no high alarms ? I took 10 units then went to tea 30 mins latter had 2 fried eggs on white toast and a cup of tea so let's say 60 carbs at the most and checked it at 4 am still no alarms had gone off and then after maybe 10 scans again not working but when I did get it working its at 13 so I takes another 3 units when I got home at 06.15 it's 7.8. I have a diabetic review next month and I'm up for a new phone next month I've always had Samsung but thinking of going for a Google 6 or 7 Pro. I'm a permanent n/s forklift driver but at my wits end with it my insulin is Lyumjev with food and at 5pm I take 14 units of Tresiba. Anybody using a Google phone with a sensor ?