Libre availability

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if this applies to all but I jut got an email from Abbott saying that I can order a Libre from them. Registered about 3 months ago ... now the question is..... should I ?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn’t register but was able to put 2 in my basket on their website so looks like anyone can order. I’ve toyed with the idea a lot but I’m scared I’ll get addicted and I really can’t afford to have them all the time!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Your BGs are pretty steady are they not? If you have never had one before then go for it and have a look at what your bloods are doing in between testing. It is an eye opener!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your BGs are pretty steady are they not? If you have never had one before then go for it and have a look at what your bloods are doing in between testing. It is an eye opener!

Yep usually 4.0 - 6.0 mmol/l be interesting to see .. especially overnight I guess...

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I admit to feeling very 'vunerable' without Libre now but, fortunately, I'm rarely without it - only if I've run out etc.

It certainly does enlighten one regarding what is happening between finger pricking tests.

I'll be very interested, as well, to learn how you get on @bulkbiker, and you @Rachox, if you decide to try one. If you have Smart phone, it's likely you don't need the monitor, if you prefer to spend less and only occasional sensor :)

Reactions: AngelinaJ

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just checked the website and it's not allowing me to order - same message about existing clients only. Not that it matters as I can get the sensors from my local ASDA anyway, but obviously it is not open to all yet - I did register months back but haven't had an email to say they are available yet. So it's only the chosen few, again, I think :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Have just checked the website and it's not allowing me to order - same message about existing clients only. Not that it matters as I can get the sensors from my local ASDA anyway, but obviously it is not open to all yet - I did register months back but haven't had an email to say they are available yet. So it's only the chosen few, again, I think :)

You still need to register 1st. It is usually a 3 month wait minimum before you can order. Unfortunately Abbots are having to fulfill the massive NHS orders 1st!

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You still need to register 1st. It is usually a 3 month wait minimum before you can order. Unfortunately Abbots are having to fulfill the massive NHS orders 1st!

I did. Many months back now :) Cheaper at ASDA anyway so they can keep their selective list!!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say that’s one of my reservations too. I’m managing to control my type 2 without one and I don’t want to ‘deprive’, if that’s the word, a type 1 on any waiting list of the chance to improve their life.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have to say that’s one of my reservations too. I’m managing to control my type 2 without one and I don’t want to ‘deprive’, if that’s the word, a type 1 on any waiting list of the chance to improve their life.

I think its where the NHS are placing orders for thousands of them and are taking fist place in the queue. After all Abbotts is a business and they are going to look after their number 1 customer unfortunately no consideration for the small 1 time buyer who will at most take 20 sensors a year?

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh Rachox, you won't deprive anyone of one.......they are easily purchased retail at ASDA and other pharmacies - our ASDA keep quite a few in stock - and are cheaper there than from Abbot by nearly £10.....go figure! I think Abbot manage to keep up with NHS and major retail deliveries, so web orders are likely a bit of a sideline and a nuisance. Apart from the little reader thingy, the sensors are easy to buy elsewhere. I bought a reader brand new off Ebay, only need one ever hopefully!!
I think the "waiting lists" for Type 1's for Libres are more to do with local funding arrangements and CCG's rather than short supplies.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@CondorX my son used to work for Abbotts. When he was there they were producing 80k units a day in the UK and expanding by another 40k. In Ireland they make nigh on 90k a day as well as the 1 they have in Europe. They do have a lot of errors on the production line, my son said in the region of 20% per run. Short supply, I have my doubts on that score as well!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep usually 4.0 - 6.0 mmol/l be interesting to see .. especially overnight I guess...

I was shocked at the absurdities my body indulges in, at night.

Far higher variation when I am asleep than when awake. Silly dips at 2.30am, then skipping about like a stone skimming a pond until the alarm goes off. And none of it significantly affected by the previous evening’s food.

then my eyes open, and things become far more normal and steady.

it was a very useful lesson in accepting the things I cannot control! Haha!

Reactions: bulkbiker

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Rachox, you won't deprive anyone of one.......they are easily purchased retail at ASDA and other pharmacies - our ASDA keep quite a few in stock - and are cheaper there than from Abbot by nearly £10.....go figure!
Unfortunately my nearest Asda with a pharmacy is a forty minute drive away, mind you if I saved that much it might be worth spending the fuel!

AndyRob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve been on the Libre for nearly six months now and whilst it’s not perfect, it’s good enough. If you don’t obsess about small accuracy irregularities and look at the global picture I think its fine and wouldn’t want to be without.

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In Australia you can only order them online, they are not available at pharmacies.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Abbott seem to be opening up new markets around the world - China and Japan for example. They have also opened new production plant in Mexico and China.

Most of their marketing and sale in the USA is to T2D. It is also available at much lower prices in the USA. The USA forums report $56 for 2 14 day sensors using freely available savings cards. Considering their insulin costs over there are several times ours, like many other medical products, there is no excuse for such high Libre prices in Europe and U.K. - unless perhaps they can increase demand by creating a false shortage.

They have had the new Libre with Bluetooth alarms on sale in Germany for some time - it is approved in the EU so also in U.K. But they choose not to supply us.

I do not believe in this so-called shortage - marketing hype.
I like the product but do not like the company tactics.
We do need stronger competition and it will come.

Last edited: