DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bodily fluids? Tiny amounts tho

My feeling on that is there's probably more blood on my OH's disposable razors, judging by the tissue on his face, sometimes. You'd have thought he'd have got the hang of all that malarkey by now.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My feeling on that is there's probably more blood on my OH's disposable razors, judging by the tissue on his face, sometimes. You'd have thought he'd have got the hang of all that malarkey by now.
Lol - I always wondered about men and their bits of tissue paper - maybe handling a razor and watching in the mirror is a multi tasking step too far! When I first saw it as an adolescent I thought it a bizzare fashion statement ( my dad died when I was v young so I hadn't seen it before)
When it comes to good old nhs / health & safety, its sadly a case of “ rules is rules” (although my personal take is more along the lines of “ rules are meant to be broken” ( or severely tested at the very least )

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine all goes in my mahoosive sharps bin, for some reason my council only give you huge ones. I suppose they don’t have to change them so often.

Why not take the used applicators and expired sensor back to the dispensing pharmacy for safe disposal?

I keep the foil top from the sensor pack for the life of the sensor, in case I need to return it (that was all they asked for when my very first one saint fire up properly) but dispose of the rest as soon as I have installed it.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I sent pictures of the Libre parts to my local waste collection people (same people who collect my sharps) to illustrate the different materials and electronic components. After a couple of discussions about biohazards and WEE, they came back to me telling me to put the sensor (and battery) in the sharps bin for incineration and the applicator in the normal domestic household waste.

Given the materials involved I was a bit surprised at the response, and I'm sure it's not 'best practice' but whatever!

upload_2018-2-21_13-46-21-png.25353
upload_2018-2-21_13-44-26-png.25351

Phew! Was waiting for your answer. Have been doing exactly that.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Be careful if you try! I got stuck into the applicator with a pair of pliers out of curiosity - was gently teasing it apart, then all of a sudden, the spring and needle (which you would have thought had fully "unsprung" when applying) went flying across the room - could have had my eye out!

Argh!