Libre funding

leggott

hi, I have two children who have type 1 diabetes. We trialled the Freestyle Libre last year and have now been self funding it for our children for the past six months. We absolutely love it and having not to do all the blood pricks and nightly checks has been life changing. We've spoken to the hospital about getting it funded and they referred us back to our GP who today insisted there is nothing that can be done and we'd need to self fund until it's given approval. Does anyone have it funded and if so, how did you obtain it and from whom. Thank you

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello Leggot, I also use the Libre and think it's great. Unfortunately it's not been approved by the NHS, so it won't be possible to get this funded. I believe for parents of type 1 children it should be, however as most adults drive it's not DVLA approved and unlikely to be due to the delay in readings and variances against blood glucose testing. There has been petitions about this but NICE is unlikely to review any time soon, sadly :(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, I have two children who have type 1 diabetes. We trialled the Freestyle Libre last year and have now been self funding it for our children for the past six months. We absolutely love it and having not to do all the blood pricks and nightly checks has been life changing. We've spoken to the hospital about getting it funded and they referred us back to our GP who today insisted there is nothing that can be done and we'd need to self fund until it's given approval. Does anyone have it funded and if so, how did you obtain it and from whom. Thank you

Gosh - You must have your hands full with two T1 children, and they're still young!

I only know of one person who is currently funded, I believe. She is funded, if I recall correctly, due to a complex set of medical conditions, and some tricky digestive issues.

I'm sure @donnellysdogs will explain the process she had to go through.

leggott

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi, you could ask your GP or DSN (or other clinician) to refer you for an Individual Funding Request. You would need to show clinical exceptionality (not necessarily cost). You could google your Clinical Commissioning Group (based on which GP you are registered with), to find out more, or look up the NHS guidelines. Good luck x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

I have funding for a CGM. It was put forward on an exceptional case by my hospital nurse. The application went in
for a libre and instead it got the ok for a CGM.

We knew the Libre would get turned down, but at the time I was having a bad time with pumps and the nurse didnt really know how and what to apply for.

I had to give written evidence of my need for funding. My CCG do not give long term funding, it has to be reapplyed for every 3 months.

Your GP cannot request it. Normally consultants only, but they get nurses to do the donkey work.

I wrote 8 pages of evidence for my CCG to consider.

I do have other issues besides diabetes though.

Reactions: Catherine4188

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If I can help, please PM me.