Libre & Insulin requirements on holiday

TJM13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm due to fly out on my first proper holiday since diagnosis next month, jetting off to Cape Verde with the girlfriend. I'm mostly prepared with all supplies neccessary but I do have a few questions which I'm hoping I can get some advice/past experience on. Firstly, on holiday I love to spend a lot of time in the pool or sea. Is it likely my Libre is going to fall off within a matter of days? I imagine the mix of heat and water can cause issues so I'm not sure if it's worth taking a spare sensor with me or just bringing my normal fingerpricking kit with plenty of strips if I'll also lose the backup sensor in 2 minutes flat.

Next question I have is I've seen people mention changing insulin requirements due to the very different lifestyle & heat whilst away. Does anyone have past experience of how long it took to notice? For example, I don't want to take my usual dose of Toujeo on my first morning to find I'm struggling with going low for the full day. I imagine it's sensible to maybe take a slightly reduced dose and just monitor throughout the day?

Finally, and probably the most difficult part. I'm going all inclusive & have every intention of eating & drinking like a pig for 7 days (it is a holiday after all!). Does anyone have any advice regarding all-inclusive buffets and some good strategies for counting carbs or avoiding certain foods?

Any advice is much appreciated, I'm 100% committed to ensure my diabetes isn't going to control how much I enjoy this holiday but also don't want my control to go out the window!

Reactions: Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I can't answer most of the above but suggest taking enough fingerpricking strips so you can manage if libre fails on day 1. (From experience with failed dexcoms).

As regards eating and drinking, just be aware that excessive alcohol can cause hypos (your liver is too busy processing the booze to help out with glycogen). I'd recommend having plenty of glucose with you for night time hypos.

I hope you have a great holiday.

Reactions: Antje77 and TJM13

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Firstly, on holiday I love to spend a lot of time in the pool or sea. Is it likely my Libre is going to fall off within a matter of days? I imagine the mix of heat and water can cause issues so I'm not sure if it's worth taking a spare sensor with me or just bringing my normal fingerpricking kit with plenty of strips if I'll also lose the backup sensor in 2 minutes flat.
Have you considered using patches on our Libre. There are a few available on Amazon and eBay. But if you take a look around this forum you will find some recommendations ... and some to avoid.
If you have space in your luggage, I would recommend taking a spare Libre. Regardless of pool problems, your sensor could fail.
However, I would also take plenty of test strips. You shouldn't be without your finger prick meter and test strips ... not even in the UK as you do not know when Libre readings will need checking if they do not match how you feel, especially when recovering from a hypo.

Next question I have is I've seen people mention changing insulin requirements due to the very different lifestyle & heat whilst away. Does anyone have past experience of how long it took to notice? For example, I don't want to take my usual dose of Toujeo on my first morning to find I'm struggling with going low for the full day. I imagine it's sensible to maybe take a slightly reduced dose and just monitor throughout the day?
As with many things related to diabetes, the answer is "it depends". We are all different with different lifestyle at home and on holiday with different reactions to changes in diet. weather, etc.
You may find you need less basal because you are more active or you may feel you need more because the way your body reacts to the heat. The good news is that you are not using an extra-long acting insulin like Tresiba which takes 3 or 4 days for a change to take effect.
Until you know how your body is going to react to your holiday, I would suggest keeping your dose as it is but keeping insulin close to hand for corrections if you go high and hypo treatment if you go low.
After your first day, you will see how your body reacts and whether you need to make a change to your dose. But do not assume you need less insulin.

Finally, and probably the most difficult part. I'm going all inclusive & have every intention of eating & drinking like a pig for 7 days (it is a holiday after all!). Does anyone have any advice regarding all-inclusive buffets and some good strategies for counting carbs or avoiding certain foods?
This is a challenge. The best way I found to manage buffets is
- start with a guess of how many carbs I will eat. I will under estimate rather than over estimate as it easier to add insulin than take it away.
- as I select from the buffet, I keep a tally of carbs I pick up in "batches" of 10g. E.g. a handful of chips, a sandwich, etc.
- top up my bolus based on what I just calculated
- learn from day to day

The only other advice (which you have probably already picked up as you read around the forum) is to take at least twice as much of everything than you think you will need including spare pens if you use reusable pens and batteries for your meter unless it is rechargeable, keep it all in your handluggage when you fly and make sure you have good travel insurance.

Finally, have fun!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've travelled abroad a lot with my Libre, insulin etc. I've not found any climate effect but as you suggest you may well eat and drink more. Try to focus on proteins & fats rather than the carbs. I find my Libre sticks like glue so have not found any tendency to fall off due to swimming although I don't swim for that long. I would take a spare Libre if you have room; I do.

Reactions: TJM13

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
There are some nifty clear plasters that would cover and protect your Libre while swimming - I use the Elastoplast ones but there are a few to choose from. Just make sure the Lindt part is large enough to cover the Libre so it doesn’t get ripped off later.
And spares of EVERYTHING, plus a couple of bags of jellybabies from the shops in the airport departure area.
I also inform hotel staff, managers, etc, that I have type one.
And, just in case, meds for upset tum might be useful . . .
Have you got something to keep your supplies of insulin cool in? I use Frios.
If there’s a fridge in your room, perhaps a thermometer to ensure supplies aren’t going to freeze?
Above all, though, have a fantastic time in Cape Verde.