Type 2 Libre Or Contour Next One?

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Since being diagnosed T2 last Jan, I’ve been using the Next One meter. Testing 6-8 times/day.

Just seen posts for Libre. The system looks attractive since, as I understand it, you get continuous monitoring. Expensive though.

Leaving cost aside, my question is: which one to go for? Stay with what I have, or switch to Libre? Just off the cuff, I would think that Libre is a better fit for T1s, on account of the need for closer monitoring. Am I right?

Thanks

John

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The libre is an awesome device, but it does have some reliability issues. Some of the pros for T1s are
1) easier checking for hypos
2) ability to check blood sugars overnight (check if there've been any hypos)
3) ability to see whether blood sugars are going up or down so as to be able to sugar surf (small correction doses of insulin or food)
4) reduce finger pricking

You haven't got the whole hypo and insulin adjusting benefits if you're not on insulin, but if you're already doing 8 tests a day then it might be worth it just to give your fingers a rest. (And if you're self funding there probably isn't much difference in price.)

Personally, if I were T2, I'd be tempted to buy a couple of sensors, use an app on my phone rather than a reader, and get some awesome information about how your diet/exercise affects your blood sugars.

Two provisoes, there's a 15 minute delay compared to blood sugar results and some sensors are very inaccurate and some people's bodies just don't agree with the system (I get unusable/inaccurate readings whatever I do). So be sure to check readings against your meter (do meter test and look at libre 15 minutes later) occasionally to make sure whether it's working for you.

Hope it works out for you. :)

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@EllieM, that’s very useful information. Thank you. The reliability issue is a bit bothersome, but I gather from what you say that this can depend on the individual. I’ll think about it. Maybe give it a whirl.

BTW, you taught me a new term: sugar surfing. How descriptive. Thanks.

D

Deleted Account

I understand when fist diagnosed with type 2 it is incredibly useful to measure your BG before you eat and then two hours afterwards to understand what impact different foods have.
A Libre (or two) may be useful to understand these impacts and then you can revert to the cheaper Contour option with this knowledge of what food types to avoid.

Reactions: johnrubinstein

Ras101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So, like you I have been finger sticking more than several times a day and my fingers are basically shot at this time. Just the convenience alone drew me to CGM and well even though I am only a few days into my first sensor there is no way that I would go back. The convenience, the ability to check whenever all come into play here. Already I have found little tweaks I can make to improve my diet to keep my BS more constant and all because of CGM. As far as I am concern there is no contest here. On cost, well I live in the States and have been buying my testing supplies out-of-pocket and when I look at before and after cost its less than $10 a month but that has changed my insulin that has now reduced in cost so its basically a wash or even lover!