Libre sensor

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Just done the same in High Wycombe, I wonder how long before they come in line with other pharmacies? I can't imagine Abbott being too happy.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I must try them again. I enquired at the branch here in the SE last December and at that time they weren’t supplying them. Hoping

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Just done the same in High Wycombe, I wonder how long before they come in line with other pharmacies? I can't imagine Abbott being too happy.

I have to wonder what's going on behind the scenes. If Abbott want customers to switch to the high street as soon as possible then they'll probably be happy that that the price is encouraging people to move.
I assume that Superdrug are not selling at a loss so have they negotiated a better price from Abbott? Or are we being ripped off by Boots and Lloyds?
It will be interesting to see which way prices move. Will Superdrug raise prices or will the others become more competitive.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Or are we being ripped off by Boots and Lloyds?

I'm assuming (always dangerous) that pharmacies can buy them for £35. I did sit with my local Boots pharmacist while he checked the price of the sensors on his computer, looking at a Boots computer system and the price was £35.

I found this document https://psnc.org.uk/sunderland-lpc/...ent-FAQs-171017-Wholesaler-Pharmacy-FINAL.pdf, although it doesn't mention a price but does mention "a new distribution model". I can't say what is a fair profit although I'm tempted to say that making profit out of something that people use for medical purposes and especially as CCGs can't, by and large, fund is in itself immoral. Superdrug pharmacies deserve a "pat on the back".

Reactions: dbr10

Morpheus5575

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I purchased a Libre sensor pack last week in an Irish Pharmacy it cost 65euro. Fairly stiff but with the Libre app,no need for the reader. Sadly my sensor stopped working after 10 days. Message was: Your sensor has stopped working please replace it,
Not the best start, so i went to the Pharmacy they said ring Abbot. Got on to Abbot diabetes help line and they gave me the rep's number to call. She is now investigating, apparently the pharmacies are ony autherised to sell the redeemable sensors to under age T1 and whoever else qualifies. So I am in limbo (prediabetic) at the moment. To me,looks like since the Pharmacy sold the product they should stand over it. I can see a battle looming! Btw the Freestyle helpline is a joke. Left messages to no avail.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I purchased a Libre sensor pack last week in an Irish Pharmacy it cost 65euro. Fairly stiff but with the Libre app,no need for the reader. Sadly my sensor stopped working after 10 days. Message was: Your sensor has stopped working please replace it,
Not the best start, so i went to the Pharmacy they said ring Abbot. Got on to Abbot diabetes help line and they gave me the rep's number to call. She is now investigating, apparently the pharmacies are ony autherised to sell the redeemable sensors to under age T1 and whoever else qualifies. So I am in limbo (prediabetic) at the moment. To me,looks like since the Pharmacy sold the product they should stand over it. I can see a battle looming! Btw the Freestyle helpline is a joke. Left messages to no avail.

I do find the supply chain rather confusing as the rules seem to fly in the face of what I've always held to be true - ie: Your contract is with the company you hand your money to. So it seems a bit strange that the supplier is not handling the returns process but as I understand the situation the same thing is happening in England. Have not had a problem returning sensors that I've bought directly from Abbott though.

Scurgey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry folks, im new and this is my first post. So is it the case that I can buy the freestyle libre sensor that stick on your arm over the counter at Superdrug for 35 quid? Many thanks Chris

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry folks, im new and this is my first post. So is it the case that I can buy the freestyle libre sensor that stick on your arm over the counter at Superdrug for 35 quid? Many thanks Chris
Yes, it's £35 ex VAT so you will have to confirm that you qualify for exemption to pay that price. Over the counter is the only way. As far as I can see there is no mention of this product on their website.

Scurgey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks, rang their customer services a few mins ago. Got to take my medical exemption cert in (new one arrived the other day ) and jobs a good un!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Superdrug's near me don't have a pharmacy.....so how do you get one......lol.....

I just asked at my local pharmacy, a rowlands, and it was approaching £70......couldn't believe it...

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So is it the case that I can buy the freestyle libre sensor that stick on your arm over the counter at Superdrug for 35 quid?

Yes, I've just picked mine up this morning. Very pleased! Not pleased that certain pharmacies are making 25 - 45 % profit or more.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just heard Boots have stopped supplying the Libre without a prescription, by all accounts this has come from Abbott via a Boots head office directive, theres reports of other pharmacies (superdrug being one of them) also saying this too - it might take a while for it to filter out to all branches/pharmacies. A bad day for all involved!

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i tried Superdrug last week without any luck BUT spoke to Libre Rep on Saturday at Fusion event and she said Superdrug should still be able to sell them. I think Boots were being greedy and I understand that is the reason they have been blocked by Abbott.