Lidl High Protein Low Carb Rolls

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My nearest Lidl switched to the smaller rolls about 3 weeks ago..............about 60% of the size of the original ones, but one filled with butter, mayo ham or cheese is still a filling lunch. The big ones had 11 grams of carbs I think, so I guess the new smaller ones are about 7 grams of carbs.

Reactions: Prem51

anniflower

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
Bought 30 in Oxford last week, having rung customer service. They checked with the store that they had some, so I drove the 10 miles to pick them up. I freeze them in batches of 5. Lunch is one roll (Carbs 8) as 2 open sandwiches.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Strange.

The latest batch of rolls were smaller and weighed 85 grams.

I am assuming that all the bread products come as pre-baked from a supplier and just get cycled through the oven as and when required.

Perhaps there are two suppliers?

It is very confusing getting large and small rolls for the same price from the same basket by the bakery on different days.

Must contact Lidl.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a new Lidl about 7 miles away, so I bought my first rolls for quite a few months last week.

Size wise they appear only slightly smaller, but taste wise they are far less stodgy and crisp up better when toasted.

BG reaction wise I have not noticed any change.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Strange.

The latest batch of rolls were smaller and weighed 85 grams.

I am assuming that all the bread products come as pre-baked from a supplier and just get cycled through the oven as and when required.

Perhaps there are two suppliers?

It is very confusing getting large and small rolls for the same price from the same basket by the bakery on different days.

Must contact Lidl.

Lidl say:

"
Re: High Protein Roll 124342

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding the above product.

I can advise that due to a supplier change, this product has reduced in size. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.

Your comments have been brought to the attention of the relevant department, where the will be taken on board.

Thank you again for your contact.

Yours sincerely,
For and on behalf of Lidl UK GmbH

"

So it looks as though they are running two suppliers at the same time and if you are lucky for a short time you may get the larger rolls from the original supplier.

My comment was that if possible I would like the larger roll at the same price as the smaller ones.:cool:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought 10 rolls yesterday for freezing. They are the small ones. I weighed one - 92g. I actually prefer the smaller ones as I can have 2 halves a day rather than just one half.

Reactions: Freema

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say I wondered about the rolls as quite a few said they were really dense and heavy. I didn't find that at all. To me they were like a very filling seeded roll but boy are they good. They keep amazingly well and still respond to a quick microwave blast. At least I know I've been getting the smaller rolls now.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really didn't like them - which made me very disappointed as having a chunk of bread for soup etc would have been nice - I thought they were very spongy and they left a nasty tack in my mouth - I was behind a guy who was shovelling them into bags and was giving him the evil eye in case he took them all lol - I now have 11 rolls in my freezer taking up valuable Christmas space - the birds are going to get a treat :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I really didn't like them - which made me very disappointed as having a chunk of bread for soup etc would have been nice - I thought they were very spongy and they left a nasty tack in my mouth - I was behind a guy who was shovelling them into bags and was giving him the evil eye in case he took them all lol - I now have 11 rolls in my freezer taking up valuable Christmas space - the birds are going to get a treat :)
Thin, toasted soldiers make good crostini and crackers and would be less spongy. The birds wont be able to take off if they eat these heavy rolls.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

If you slice them in half and toast them (takes longer to toast than ordinary bread) then smother in butter so it melts through, they are delicious.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you slice them in half and toast them (takes longer to toast than ordinary bread) then smother in butter so it melts through, they are delicious.
That's what I did - I only use bread for toast really - It not just the texture I really didn't like the taste of them - but thank you for everyone's suggestions believe me you don't know how much I wish I did like them lol - have tried another one this morning thinly sliced and toasted for some salmon pate I had - just couldn't get away with it ended up using celery and a teaspoon to eat my pate :(

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just bought 10 and put in freezer.
Even with the smaller size I can still part defrost and get 4 slices - two for lunch and two for later - or all 4 if I'm feeling greedy.

Reactions: geefull and Prem51

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will try slicing when part frozen then maybe I can get 4 slices instead of 3 . Thanks for the tip .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went for a sack full today and they were sold out. :bigtears: That means another journey tomorrow. I get panic stricken when I haven't got enough in the freezer.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too, I think I have about 30 in the freezer at the moment!

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope it wasn't you buying them all earlier today in my local store!!
This is weird...i bought a load last weekend and they were even smaller! I mean, smaller than the new smaller ones. Side by side they are almost half as big, maybe 2.5 inches wide.
Please tell me they haven't shrunk again ! Hoping just a duff batch.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey, that is very small. If that is the case I will have to buy three times as many. :)