Lidl Low GI Rolls

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to Lidl today to get my supply of their High Protein Rolls and noticed they had Low GI Rolls which I haven't seen before. Had one for lunch and unfortunately my BS was too high 2 hours later, pity as it was very tasty and a nice change from the High Protein ones - might try half a roll next time. I can't find any mention of them on the Lidl website let alone the carb content. Anybody tried them or have any information?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I haven't any information, but I believe people on this forum emailed Lidl for the nutrients of the high protein ones. Maybe you could try that?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you ask one of Lidl's more senior staff members they will find out what it is for you. Same in most supermarkets.

S

serenity648

Neither of my Lidls sell either of these products, and the managers dont expect too as there isnt enough demand. : ((((

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Neither of my Lidls sell either of these products, and the managers dont expect too as there isnt enough demand. : ((((

I have tried one of these rolls today and they are worth shouting about, so I would contact the Manager and ask why they dont stock and tell him to tick them on the stock request sheet as I believe most Lidl's stock these so they must .
If he insists they cannot get them then find the head office address and ask them why they dont stock and aif no valid reason ask for them to be stocked.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you ask one of Lidl's more senior staff members they will find out what it is for you. Same in most supermarkets.
I did ask a member of staff if they sold sauerkraut but he had no idea what it was, so not much hope for nutritional information. Maybe in Waitrose they would tell you but then you would have to pay twice the price for the food. I will post the reply to my email if I get one.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plenty of non diabetics eat these Lidl rolls, from body builders to fitness fanatics because of the high protein. I actually noticed one in my friend's kitchen recently. She is vegetarian and buys them for the seeds mainly. I can't believe they are poor sellers anywhere.

S

serenity648

I have tried one of these rolls today and they are worth shouting about, so I would contact the Manager and ask why they dont stock and tell him to tick them on the stock request sheet as I believe most Lidl's stock these so they must .
If he insists they cannot get them then find the head office address and ask them why they dont stock and aif no valid reason ask for them to be stocked.

I live in a village and have to travel over 16 miles in either direction to find a Lidl. Both of my closest Lidls are small and have restricted items they sell. I will ask my daughter, who lives in a city, if she can find some for me, and send them (in a box)

S

serenity648

Plenty of non diabetics eat these Lidl rolls, from body builders to fitness fanatics because of the high protein. I actually noticed one in my friend's kitchen recently. She is vegetarian and buys them for the seeds mainly. I can't believe they are poor sellers anywhere.
Believe it, some of us only have access to the small Lidls.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The low GI bread is 20 percent carbs, over twice that of the protein rolls

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I received a reply from Lidl this morning - impressive customer service!
Unfortunately as I suspected the rolls may be Low GI but are not Low Carb. I am disappointed as after more than a year of having the High Protein rolls for lunch most days, I am always looking for a change.
The roll I bought weighed 87gm so at 44.9gm per 100gm that means that one roll is 39gm Carb - too much for me.
Here is the full information.....

Lidl 5302428 Low GI Roll
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 295kcal / 1240kJ
Fat 8.5g
Of which saturates 1.08g
Carbohydrate 44.9g
Of which sugars 4.2g
Fibre 8.4g
Protein 14.0g
Salt 0.78g

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The low GI bread is 20 percent carbs, over twice that of the protein rolls
If you mean Lidl's 5300877 Low GI Bread then according to the info I received today from Lidl it is 36% carbs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you mean Lidl's 5300877 Low GI Bread then according to the info I received today from Lidl it is 36% carbs.

No, it is 44.9% carb. In easier terms, 45%. Your 39g is per roll, not per 100g. So nearly half of each roll is carbohydrate.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took the 20 percent figure from myfitnesspal having searched for Lidl low GI bread - but is possible that it is incorrect.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, it is 44.9% carb. In easier terms, 45%. Your 39g is per roll, not per 100g. So nearly half of each roll is carbohydrate.

We may be at cross purposes here but....

Low GI Roll 44.9% Carbs so a 87 gram roll contains 39 grams
Low GI Bread 36% Carbs

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only ever seen the loaves, not rolls - perhaps different stores stock different products.