lidl protein rolls

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I

Have just bought some. Weighed one and it’s 103 grams. So 21g ish carbs.
Will have half of one for lunch later, I’ll report back.
That’s a lot higher carbs than they used to be - if I recall they used to be around 9g carb per roll as I’ve just looked in Myfitnesspal from my past foods and I would occasionally have 1/2 of one and I have them in at 4.5g per half. Look forward to your report :)

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: zand and Antje77

Kernow Debra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok drum roll please!
Had half a roll(well buttered) with 2 boiled eggs, mayo and 3 slices of salami. 5.6 before first bite, 2 hours later 5.9.

Was very tasty, a bit chewy but in a good crusty way.
Made a nice change.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did a recce in the local Lidl first thing this morning - nada, niente, nope.

Unfortunately too carby for me, although I was intending to try them on the unsuspecting Mrs A as lunch rolls.

Reactions: Paul_ and Antje77

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
Did a recce in the local Lidl first thing this morning - nada, niente, nope.

Unfortunately too carby for me, although I was intending to try them on the unsuspecting Mrs A as lunch rolls.
Same here way too high in carbs. I’m really carb sensitive. They do sound really nice tho

andrewk75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I emailed Lidl last week asking about bakery products as a result of another thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/lidl-low-gi-bread.183821/#post-2670373

The low GI stuff most definitely isn’t low carb. The high protein roll is best at 20% carbs. Most loaves and rolls are in the high 40% and most of the baguettes over 50%. Low GI and protein data below. I have the rest if anyone wants a specific item.

5300877 Low GI Multiseed Cob

Ingredients
Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin); Water; Sunflower Seeds (8%); Linseed (4%); Wheat Gluten; Oat Grits; Wheat Bran; Pumpkin Seeds (2%); Rye Flour; Yeasts; Oats; Dried Wheat Sourdough; Sourdough Powder (Pregelatinised Wheat Flour, Lactic Acid); Sugar; Salt; Burnt Sugar; Caramelised Sugar; Corn Grits; Full Fat Soya Flour; Dried Rye Sourdough; Malt Barley Flour; Flour Treatment Agents (Calcium Sulphate, Ascorbic Acid); Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Soya Lecithin, Sodium Stearoyl-2-lactylate); Whey Powder (Milk); Dextrose; Palm Fat; Raising Agent (Disodium Diphosphate) Wholemeal Rye Flour.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 287kcal/1206kJ
Fat8.5g
Of which saturates1.0g
Carbohydrate36.0g
Of which sugars3.8g
Fibre8.0g
Protein13.2g
Salt 0.90g
Allergens
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see highlighted ingredients. May contain traces of Sesame.
Useful Information
Suitable for vegetarians.

5302428 Low GI Roll

Ingredients
Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin); Water; Sunflower Seeds; Wheat Gluten; Brown Linseeds; Wheat Bran; Pinhead Oats; Yeast; Rye Flour; Pumpkin Seeds; Sugar; Salt; Whey Powder (Milk); Burnt Sugar; Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed Oil, Palm Oil); Dextrose; Wheat Fibre; Malted Wheat Flour; Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid).

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 295kcal/1240kJ
Fat8.5g
Of which saturates1.1g
Carbohydrate44.9g
Of which sugars4.2g
Fibre8.4g
Protein14.0g
Salt 0.78g
Allergens
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see highlighted ingredients.
Useful Information
Suitable for vegetarians.

79358 High Protein Roll

Ingredients
Water, Wheat Flour, 8.6% Linseed, Wheat Gluten, 5.2% Sunflower Seeds, 5.1 % Soya Bean Meal, Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Wheat Bran, Yeast, Soya Protein Concentrate, 1.5% Sesame Seeds, Salt, Barley Malt Extract (Barley, Water), Acid: Lactic Acid; Acidity Regulator: Sodium Acetates; Roasted Barley Malt Flour, Apple Fibre, Dextrose, Wheat Malt Flour, Glucose Syrup.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 283kcal/1184kJ
Fat11.7g
Of which saturates1.9g
Carbohydrate20.4g
Of which sugars2.2g
Fibre10.5g
Protein18.9g
Salt 1.37g
Allergens
For allergens, including Cereals containing Gluten, see ingredients in bold. May also contain Egg and Milk.
Useful Information
Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
This is very useful, on the occasions I have rolls I tend to go for Low GI, I knew the carbs weren't low but it avoided the initial high spike. At one point I was eating LivLife low carb bread, but it wasn't always easy to find. I may well go back to it as carbs are quite low and protein relatively high, so a better option than my current favourite.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is very useful, on the occasions I have rolls I tend to go for Low GI, I knew the carbs weren't low but it avoided the initial high spike. At one point I was eating LivLife low carb bread, but it wasn't always easy to find. I may well go back to it as carbs are quite low and protein relatively high, so a better option than my current favourite.
Freeze a loaf or two. That also reduces the digestible elements somehow as does reheating it. (Think frozen Brad to toast) Might be a small difference but it all helps. I always freeze this bread as I eat so very little of it. Sainsbury’s do Hi Lo bread that’s similar, with a few carbs more though