lidl protein rolls

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I expect this will make a lot of people happy, I never took to them myself but they were very popular here on the forum so fingers crossed that they may be here to stay. I suppose it will depend on how they sell

Reactions: Paul41

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
these rolls are back in lidl but only for a trial period. !
Ooh, the stuff of legend...! I remember the uproar here, when they were discontinued. Still not available in the Netherlands, alas. (Quickly checked their site). Found others inedible, but maybe one day Lidl rolls will take over the world, and I'll be able to give those a go.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

Donna85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm seen a few people rave about these. What are theu called again, please. Would like to try them.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh, the stuff of legend...! I remember the uproar here, when they were discontinued. Still not available in the Netherlands, alas. (Quickly checked their site). Found others inedible, but maybe one day Lidl rolls will take over the world, and I'll be able to give those a go.
Thanks for checking, saves me the work. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm seen a few people rave about these. What are theu called again, please. Would like to try them.
Protein rolls, they are triangular in shape with lots of seeds (or they were when available last)

LittleGreyCat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
No sign of them on the Lidl website at the moment.

• Hug

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No sign of them on the Lidl website at the moment.
I can’t find them either, it’s worth pointing out that the low GI rolls are not the High Protein rolls for anyone who’s reading this thread and haven’t seen the Protein rolls in the past

Reactions: Tone E

septua

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
They are on the back page of the Lidl Weekly mag, 11-17 January, billed as "Special Guest, here for a limited time only". No longer triangular, more a shallow loaf shape.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77 and IanBish

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Protein rolls, they are triangular in shape with lots of seeds (or they were when available last)
They definitely had some on Saturday. They were oblong shaped, rather then triangular, with lots of seeds on, and they were definitely protein rolls. They were in the "Special Guests" bit, which implies they're only temporary. But they did actually exist on Saturday!

• Informative
Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They definitely had some on Saturday. They were oblong shaped, rather then triangular, with lots of seeds on, and they were definitely protein rolls. They were in the "Special Guests" bit, which implies they're only temporary. But they did actually exist on Saturday!
Thanks for the info, I don’t shop in Lidl so haven’t had eyes on them, I didn’t want those that haven’t had them in the past confusing them with the low GI rolls because the carb count is very different- or it used to be.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know if there is up to date nutrition on the current protein rolls? That would be good to have rather than assume that they are still the same nutritionally- especially as the shape has changes, other things like weight and ingredients could have changed too

Reactions: Donna85

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to @HSSS, this is the info given in an email from Lidl.
79358 High Protein Roll

Ingredients
Water, Wheat Flour, 8.6% Linseed, Wheat Gluten, 5.2% Sunflower Seeds, 5.1 % Soya Bean Meal, Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Wheat Bran, Yeast, Soya Protein Concentrate, 1.5% Sesame Seeds, Salt, Barley Malt Extract (Barley, Water), Acid: Lactic Acid; Acidity Regulator: Sodium Acetates; Roasted Barley Malt Flour, Apple Fibre, Dextrose, Wheat Malt Flour, Glucose Syrup.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 283kcal/1184kJ
Fat11.7g
Of which saturates1.9g
Carbohydrate20.4g
Of which sugars2.2g
Fibre10.5g
Protein18.9g
Salt 1.37g
Allergens
For allergens, including Cereals containing Gluten, see ingredients in bold. May also contain Egg and Milk.

HSSS

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t find them either, it’s worth pointing out that the low GI rolls are not the High Protein rolls for anyone who’s reading this thread and haven’t seen the Protein rolls in the past
I emailed Lidl last week asking about bakery products as a result of another thread https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/lidl-low-gi-bread.183821/#post-2670373

The low GI stuff most definitely isn’t low carb. The high protein roll is best at 20% carbs. Most loaves and rolls are in the high 40% and most of the baguettes over 50%. Low GI and protein data below. I have the rest if anyone wants a specific item.

5300877 Low GI Multiseed Cob

Ingredients
Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin); Water; Sunflower Seeds (8%); Linseed (4%); Wheat Gluten; Oat Grits; Wheat Bran; Pumpkin Seeds (2%); Rye Flour; Yeasts; Oats; Dried Wheat Sourdough; Sourdough Powder (Pregelatinised Wheat Flour, Lactic Acid); Sugar; Salt; Burnt Sugar; Caramelised Sugar; Corn Grits; Full Fat Soya Flour; Dried Rye Sourdough; Malt Barley Flour; Flour Treatment Agents (Calcium Sulphate, Ascorbic Acid); Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Soya Lecithin, Sodium Stearoyl-2-lactylate); Whey Powder (Milk); Dextrose; Palm Fat; Raising Agent (Disodium Diphosphate) Wholemeal Rye Flour.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 287kcal/1206kJ
Fat8.5g
Of which saturates1.0g
Carbohydrate36.0g
Of which sugars3.8g
Fibre8.0g
Protein13.2g
Salt 0.90g
Allergens
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see highlighted ingredients. May contain traces of Sesame.
Useful Information
Suitable for vegetarians.

5302428 Low GI Roll

Ingredients
Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin); Water; Sunflower Seeds; Wheat Gluten; Brown Linseeds; Wheat Bran; Pinhead Oats; Yeast; Rye Flour; Pumpkin Seeds; Sugar; Salt; Whey Powder (Milk); Burnt Sugar; Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed Oil, Palm Oil); Dextrose; Wheat Fibre; Malted Wheat Flour; Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid).

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 295kcal/1240kJ
Fat8.5g
Of which saturates1.1g
Carbohydrate44.9g
Of which sugars4.2g
Fibre8.4g
Protein14.0g
Salt 0.78g
Allergens
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see highlighted ingredients.
Useful Information
Suitable for vegetarians.

79358 High Protein Roll

Ingredients
Water, Wheat Flour, 8.6% Linseed, Wheat Gluten, 5.2% Sunflower Seeds, 5.1 % Soya Bean Meal, Wholemeal Wheat Flour, Wheat Bran, Yeast, Soya Protein Concentrate, 1.5% Sesame Seeds, Salt, Barley Malt Extract (Barley, Water), Acid: Lactic Acid; Acidity Regulator: Sodium Acetates; Roasted Barley Malt Flour, Apple Fibre, Dextrose, Wheat Malt Flour, Glucose Syrup.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 283kcal/1184kJ
Fat11.7g
Of which saturates1.9g
Carbohydrate20.4g
Of which sugars2.2g
Fibre10.5g
Protein18.9g
Salt 1.37g
Allergens
For allergens, including Cereals containing Gluten, see ingredients in bold. May also contain Egg and Milk.
Useful Information
Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose the proof of the roll will be in the eating, and the bg after.
Anyone tested them yet?