Linseed - what do you do with it?

Finzi

As an impulse buy when I was wandering round sainsbury's yesterday, I bought some linseed (I think that's what they are - I've thrown the packet away now cos I like things to be in pretty glass jars lol). They are slightly larger than sesame seeds but similar looking, more golden brown in color.

So, now I've got them, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them. Any suggestions?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Toast em grind em bake em eat em they're awfully versatile!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Put them in the bin maybe lol

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Linseed is like flax.
Honestly i get it ground or milled or in oil form as its harder for the body to break down the husk.
Its brilliant for diabetes and is packed with omega oils.
Google it for yourself for the full range of benefits.
If i were you, so as not to waste it, i would get it in a pestle and mortar and then perhaps throw it in your cereal or porridge.
Don't bin it. That's a **** suggestion:grin:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its good for everything :) Very high in fiber. It can be soaked in water and then eaten. Very good for any gastrointestinal problems. if you grind it you can use it for baking

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can make muffins with it. I make low carb bread with it. I'll post the muffin recipe tomorrow if I remember! Very high in fibre, so low in net carbs.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Make bread with them, sprinkle them on your cereal if you eat cereal, throw some in the blender when you make a smoothie ... or throw them out in the garden for the birds, they love linseed! :D

Finzi

Oh well to start simple then I will put some in my protein shake tomorrow morning. And then I eagerly await the muffin recipe :). I did google, but an awful lot of the recipes seemed to be for bread, and I'm not sure baking bread is something I'd want to do - for a start I'd eat it all!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use seeds in my porridge everyday, both pumpkin seeds and golden linseeds. They are a good source of vitamins and minerals, you do have to be careful on the quantity as linseeds can have a laxative effect.

Restocked 2 weeks ago in Holland & Barrett, paid 99p for a 125g packet of linseeds and got the second for 1p, not sure if the offer is still on but they do repeat it from time to time.

Finzi

I think I'm going to brave some porridge tomorrow. It's been a while and I truly think my insulin resistance has improved since then. I'll put lots of seeds on it as well which hopefully might help.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Her you go, more of a breakfast muffin than a sweet one:

90g Linseed
30g ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
240 ml milk
2 large eggs
60 ml vegetable oil
4 tbsp splenda
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together and put in the oven on 180 for 30-40 mins. Makes 6 muffins, 3.1g carbs per portion. Recipe from The Low Carb Gourmet by Karen Barnaby. Great book.

Susiebabs

Oooh Finzi - you'll love it! There's so much I've made and liked and still more to try. The nut butter brownies are great as are the coconut mounds (I make them and store them in the freezer and take one out for my packed lunch and it's defrosted by lunch time).

The dressings and sauces are great too! It really helped my transition to LCHF....! So much loveliness to choose from and to make that I barely even noticed the carbs I wasn't eating any more!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll second that! Not done any of the puddings yet, think I'll have crack this weekend!