Type 1 Lipohypertrophy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey!
I was wondering if anyone has suffered with Lipohypertrophy due to injecting insulin?

I've been a type 1 for 22 years since i was 6 and ive always injected. The last few years I've noticed my right arm has a 'bulge' that is very noticeable to the point where I won't wear any short sleeves tops or have my arms on show because it makes me feel very uncomfortable and down.

I've been to my gp who had never even heard of this before and they referred me to my diabetic team at the hospital who also had never heard nor dealt with this before or they just told me it will go away on its own in a few months just don't inject. I have not injected in this arm for over a year now and Its not improved ATALL!

I just wondered if anyone has had this issue or could give me advice? Is there any treatments available even if it's something I have to pay for. I just want to feel normal in my body and at the minute I feel its not because I'm restricted to what I wear due to the lumps. I'm only 28 years old and It's very hard to deal with something like this when I feel there is no way out of sorting this out.

thank you in advance

From a very desperate diabetic!

Sophie x

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Is lipohypertrophy treated?

I'm scared of a doctor who has never heard of it, especially since this side effect is indicated on every insulin instruction

but if these words make you feel better, then no one pays attention to it. Mine was noticed only by me and my doctor. I hope this is clearly visible in the photo
IMG_20230220_232044.jpg

ps. I'm 27, my diabetes is almost 19

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I'm scared of a doctor who has never heard of it, especially since this side effect is indicated on every insulin instruction

but if these words make you feel better, then no one pays attention to it. Mine was noticed only by me and my doctor. I hope this is clearly visible in the photo
View attachment 59487
Thanks for your reply! Yes it concerned me when both my gp and consultants told me it wasn't a thing they had really come across! I surely can't be the only diabetic in my hometown that has this!

May I ask how long you've had the lump for? Has it improved at all from not injecting in the area?

Type of diabetes
Type 1

View attachment 59487

Attachments

• Snapchat-1128847297.jpg
    Snapchat-1128847297.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've been T1 for 53 years and have had a lump on my stomach for about 30 years. My GP noticed it once and asked if I wanted to do anything about it. I said I wasn't bothered, but at that time I was borderline obese so I can't say it made any cosmetic difference and I didn't see the point in unnecessary surgery. I think she was talking about surgical removal (liposuction?) as a cosmetic procedure but freely admit to maybe misremembering.

The only real annoyance is that I have to avoid injecting into it or putting my sensor there.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have lipohypertrophy in my thighs (from clexane injections, not insulin, so I don't inject insulin there). I'm very surprised your doctors have never heard of it. Every diabetes clinic I've been to has a big poster on the wall about it and my box of needles even mention it on the side of the box

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks for your reply! Yes it concerned me when both my gp and consultants told me it wasn't a thing they had really come across! I surely can't be the only diabetic in my hometown that has this!
Doesn't surprise me that the GP hasn't heard of it, they are often pretty clueless about insulin treated diabetes. I guess a very young or very old consultant might not be aware of it but I would expect all the diabetic nurses at the clinic to know about it.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
May I ask how long you've had the lump for?
about 3 years.

Has it improved at all from not injecting in the area?
No, it hasn't improved neither from refusing injections to this place, nor from massage :( and to be honest, I've never heard of it disappearing from anyone. But if something can be done with lipohypertrophy, I would really like to do it with mine.