List your food[s] you cant eat 'again'

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I don't have a list, because I think creating "forbidden" foods is a recipe for feeling deprived, resentful and rebellious. So, if I really wanted something I would eat it - however I probably wouldn't eat a whole litre of ice cream like I used to in the bad old days, but that's because I now know what was driving that behaviour before - an out of control blood glucose roller coaster.

However, two years later and I have yet to "need" to eat bread, pasta or anything made with grains because I know how bad my digestion (not to mention my BG) will be afterwards and it's simply not worth it. I've had occasional rice, potato, bananas but can happily live without them most of the time.
My no way list is tripe tomatoes and coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I don't have a list, because I think creating "forbidden" foods is a recipe for feeling deprived, resentful and rebellious. So, if I really wanted something I would eat it - however I probably wouldn't eat a whole litre of ice cream like I used to in the bad old days, but that's because I now know what was driving that behaviour before - an out of control blood glucose roller coaster.

However, two years later and I have yet to "need" to eat bread, pasta or anything made with grains because I know how bad my digestion (not to mention my BG) will be afterwards and it's simply not worth it. I've had occasional rice, potato, bananas but can happily live without them most of the time.
Bananas?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used them occasionally as a sweetener in low carb baking but I don't cook "treats" often. Also occasionally not too ripe small ones with lots of cream and low carb jelly. I've never noticed a huge impact on BG level, but it's not something I do often.

Reactions: 2 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I can never have anything with Gluten every again (do to Celiac) I can't have anything with Dairy, Eggs, Nuts, Coconut, Bananas, Avocado, Nightshades or Sugar Cane in it (allergic) and I have to watch anything that has Soy in it (do to soy sensitivity/intolerance)

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I can never have anything with Gluten every again (do to Celiac) I can't have anything with Dairy, Eggs, Nuts, Coconut, Bananas, Avocado, Nightshades or Sugar Cane in it (allergic) and I have to watch anything that has Soy in it (do to soy sensitivity/intolerance)
Is there anything you can eat?

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is there anything you can eat?
yep most other fruits and veggies are still good, rice is still an option (lots of things on the market of an asian nature are made with rice and not flour around here) as are Beans, Lentils, Quinoa and a few other grains out there that are gluten free by their nature (though buckwheat does have to be watched out for since it can be easily contaminated).

One might think that with reduced options that there wouldn't be much out there but the reality is there is still plenty of options it just eating out at restaurants and going over to peoples places or events and meetings that takes more planning (or just not doing it - as I found out last friday after going to a local place we'd been going to for years ate a treat within the hour I was in the ER all because the same delis item I treated myself with was no longer coconut free, I'd without thinking just chosen the same old same old not thinking they'd even change the "milk" used in the item, but they did and I paid for my over sight. I'd also thought since the owner was there and the server knew of my allergies (we go there weekly if not several times a week when we have the funds) that she'd have said something but even they forget their customer needs/issues (lesson learned).

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I miss being able to eat white bread :(

It is annoying when its something that you once enjoyed, but the longer you can't have it the easer it is to not miss it (though since its easy to get and cheaper the most others on the market its a constant reminder of something you where forced to give up that you wouldn't have given up without being forced to do so).

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

I don't have a forbidden list per se but there are foods I won't be eating again. Such as starchy carbs. It's not that I can't stuff my face with them if I want to but I don't enjoy feeling dizzy or watching my bs go into double figures! So I choose not to eat them! It's all about the psychology, isn't it? :D

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
yep most other fruits and veggies are still good, rice is still an option (lots of things on the market of an asian nature are made with rice and not flour around here) as are Beans, Lentils, Quinoa and a few other grains out there that are gluten free by their nature (though buckwheat does have to be watched out for since it can be easily contaminated).

One might think that with reduced options that there wouldn't be much out there but the reality is there is still plenty of options it just eating out at restaurants and going over to peoples places or events and meetings that takes more planning (or just not doing it - as I found out last friday after going to a local place we'd been going to for years ate a treat within the hour I was in the ER all because the same delis item I treated myself with was no longer coconut free, I'd without thinking just chosen the same old same old not thinking they'd even change the "milk" used in the item, but they did and I paid for my over sight. I'd also thought since the owner was there and the server knew of my allergies (we go there weekly if not several times a week when we have the funds) that she'd have said something but even they forget their customer needs/issues (lesson learned).
Hope you're better now!