List your food[s] you cant eat 'again'

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
I have had some massive improvements in my blood sugar control over the past 2 years or so and this has been since I completely stopped eating pizza and takeaway, crisps and alcohol. I eat a lot of foods which are super loaded with carbs so I do not miss the foods I no longer eat and I feel much better.

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love jacket potato's so I just eat the skins now with a big dollop of butter and my husband gets the rest! Also can't eat Rice, Pasta, Pizza, or pastry.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
brett said:
Since trying marmite, can't eat that again. Nothing to do with levels just can't stand the stuff.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

:p Marmite
We all seem to either love OR hate it eh .
I cant stand it either [far too bitter and overly strong a taste ]

Don't like peanut butter either [yuck] :thumbdown:
How can folk 'like' this one ?

Basmati rice is best for keeping my BG levels lowest I have found.
Portion only a small cup of this though ...
Nice with some home made chilli con carne :thumbup:

Anna .

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love Marmite :)
Lovely with Philadelphia on Vogels Soya and linseed bread

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Beer and everything else that I once liked to eat and drink. I think that covers it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Vanilla slices
Home made deep meat and potato pie
Home made Rice pudding
2 slices of toast - I can manage 1 slice
Marmalade.
Honey
Bananas

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have given up sugar in my cups of tea ... did so as soon as diagnosed ... I love tea.
Packed in white bread and only rarely eat any other ... bread is almost gone.
Beef ... I don't know why but I am much healthier without beef.
I will occasionally have a burger or meat balls but almost gone.
I've become a label reader whilst out shopping but am fortunate that my wife grows stuff cooks and bakes and pickles etc.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Beer and everything else that I once liked to eat and drink. I think that covers it.
I still drink beer but not very often.
I've discovered that vodka is the best for me and I like it neat so don't need any mixers.

mpe

You could try making rice pudding using lactose free milk and a vanilla pod, if you must sweeten it use stevia. Custard too can be made this way.

The way that milk is made "lactose free" is to add lactase to it. Thus the lactose is "pre-digested" to glucose and galactose. Whilst this is a good thing for people who don't produce lactase themselves it also has the side effect of raising the GI.
It's also a good idea to check that stevia sweeteners do not contain maltodextrins as bulking agents (Since these are a form of glucose so far as the human body is concerned.)
Though the biggest problem is going to be the rice itself...

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Things I dont eat now include
bread, pasta, rice, breakfast cereals, noodles, potatoes, fruit (other than berries), milk chocolate, cake, crisps, pizza, pastry, Ben & jerrys ice cream (sob!), chocolate eclairs etc

Funny as some of these things I only had a lot of these things occasionally but I now have times when I really want them.

What I do miss is having big fruit salads and being able to easily get food when eating out - everything needs planning so much - as a vegi most lunch time foods in shops and cafes are bread or pasta based - finding vegi salads without pasta is often tricky which is ridiculous!

Eating out is often tough - most restaurants serve high carb vegetarian meals, I do miss wagamammas and my lovely local Italian restaurant :-(

Lilliepop

Much like Squire I didn't have a sweet tooth before so don't miss sugary treats. I can't really think of any foods that I couldn't eat again as there's not many foods I exclude, if something did caused a bg spike I would eat less of it and only have it as an occasional treat.
I can't eat sweetcorn, peas, bread, sugar high fibre food, cabbage, sweeteners,everything with flour and sugar added really. Maybe there is some kind of patterned here with everyone that might show why we are diabetics or pre diabetic. Just a thought.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Basically anything with flour or rice in it for me, but having said that I will still indulge in small quantities from time to time, say maybe two tbs of fried basmati rice if we having a curry, but definitely not very often

Its the bread and pizza I miss most, I would love to find a good thin crust pizza base that I could eat.
I can use a tiny bit of flour to thicken a sauce but rice and bread too! Rice and pasta are my worst - double figures which rise every half hour for 2 hours! I love pizza and hope that some day I may be able to have some! :confused:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
:lol: Then again I guess it's the same as dipping croissants into coffee which I enjoyed when i was younger and I actually put butter in my coffee instead of cream sometimes and it's really rather nice! :D
Oooo croissants! :(

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
for those of you missing pizza google cauliflower pizza base! no need to miss it this is just as good if not better!!
Don't know why but I'm always a bit sceptical. Which part of the cauliflower do you use?

innilus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Unappreciative people, Stress, Facebook
To be honest, I eat anything and everything. If I know I'm going to be packing down a big calorific meal I'll just Give myself some extra juice and/or make sure I haven't eaten anything within 4 hours

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a list, because I think creating "forbidden" foods is a recipe for feeling deprived, resentful and rebellious. So, if I really wanted something I would eat it - however I probably wouldn't eat a whole litre of ice cream like I used to in the bad old days, but that's because I now know what was driving that behaviour before - an out of control blood glucose roller coaster.

However, two years later and I have yet to "need" to eat bread, pasta or anything made with grains because I know how bad my digestion (not to mention my BG) will be afterwards and it's simply not worth it. I've had occasional rice, potato, bananas but can happily live without them most of the time.

Reactions: 4 people