1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

little changes can make a big difference

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by mullaneder, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have always eaten Basmati rice as it is considerably less sticky and starchy than ordinary long grain rice, I also rinse it in cold water before cooking and this washes out more starch, or so I am told :)

The difference now is I only have a very small single scoop of rice rather than completely covering my plate with the stuff before adding a mountain of meat :lol:

2. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's not just Brussels Sprouts. Pretty much all green veg is a powerful weapon against BG spikes! String Beans, Brocolli, Spinach - they're all great for Diabetics...

I've also noticed a small change in BG (going the right way - down!) after eatting pickled onions. it turns out that vinegar is good stuff too.

Eggs have a minimal effect on BG... I like nothing more than 4 eggs scrambled with a dash of double cream for breakfast.

3. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

Not so for everyone Patch. As an insulin user I followed with interest Fergus's messages about using eggs for breakfast on their own or with bacon and mushrooms.

For some unknown reason I found that a plain 2 egg omelette raised my bg levels to way above 12 mid morning. This was with a starting bg reading of 4.8 and using my usual basal dose plus 4 units of bolus. I was quite surprised to see how high my bg had gone even though I had not eaten any carb. I did not bother to correct and just wait until lunchtime and then do a bg test. Guess what, it had fallen just to 10 so was still way too high. If I had eaten my usual breakfast of half slice of toast and used the same amount of insulin, my bg would have been about 6-7 mid morning and then drop back to 3 or 4 by lunchtime.

4. Doczoc

Doczoc · Well-Known Member

Celeriac is a great mash alternative, can be roasted with great effect too! Low carb and low GI.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook