Little to No Sex Drive/Libido

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed when I was 15 months old. I went through a stage of my life where for ~7 or so years I had blood sugars ranging from 300-HI every day consistently. It got to the point where I adjusted and had normalized the 7 year headaches and constant dry mouth.

My blood sugars resulted in my A1C’s being 10%-12% throughout all of middle school and high school. Because of this, My body’s growth was delayed and I now have swollen knuckles with crooked fingers. After I learned about the resulting damages of my high blood sugars, my doctor explained how my body was working then/and now (or at least I think my endocrinologist explained this to me when I was like 10). The onset of puberty for me was delayed and didn’t hit it until around sophomore or junior year of high school.

When puberty did hit for me, I didn’t display any of your generic puberty behaviors like being obsessed with sex, masturbation, or girls. I never cared and didn’t see the need for it. It’s now roughly 6 years later and I’m in an incredible relationship of 4 years with the girl of my dreams, yet I have very little desire for sex on a daily basis. I don’t really ever think about sex and tend to want to do other things.

It makes me feel terrible because I know it affects her self esteem and her views of our relationship.

Does anyone know what’s happening with me or at least experiencing any of these things that I am?

Any tips/advice?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you spoken to your Doctor about this?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It no doubt does effect our libido the old diabetes......

I know that I have very obvious drops in libido but it does go back up again and I can walk about for weeks like a dog on heat....

I personally have other factors though to consider like long days at work and two young kids and my wife has minor health issues of her own and medications that can effect her drive....

the trick for me is to accept that I wont want it all the time and neither will she......just making time for each other is important and the rest will come....

I would visit the doctor though if you have no desire at all, ever.....

it doesn't mean there is an issue with the relationship though, that's an important point...

what are your partner thoughts on it all....?

Reactions: Guzzler

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It no doubt does effect our libido the old diabetes......

I know that I have very obvious drops in libido but it does go back up again and I can walk about for weeks like a dog on heat....

I personally have other factors though to consider like long days at work and two young kids and my wife has minor health issues of her own and medications that can effect her drive....

the trick for me is to accept that I wont want it all the time and neither will she......just making time for each other is important and the rest will come....

I would visit the doctor though if you have no desire at all, ever.....

it doesn't mean there is an issue with the relationship though, that's an important point...

what are your partner thoughts on it all....?

She has said in the past how it’s crushed her self esteem and how it doesn’t feel like I love her (things have gotten better from that point though) since I wasn’t physically showing her my affection.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
She has said in the past how it’s crushed her self esteem and how it doesn’t feel like I love her (things have gotten better from that point though) since I wasn’t physically showing her my affection.

That's good, we can still show physical affection without full on sex......

I assume your still attracted to her, its just the appetite for sex isn't there or strong....?

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's good, we can still show physical affection without full on sex......

I assume your still attracted to her, its just the appetite for sex isn't there or strong....?

Exactly! She still takes my breath away every single day. Pretty much, it feels like I could actually live the rest of my life without having sex ever again and I’d be completely fine. But obviously she’s not going to want that, nor should she. Ya know?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LordReptilia ,

Welcome to the forum.

Your blood sugar levels. How are they running at the moment?
I know i can be a little standoffish with the simple contact stuff when high...

I've been asked if there was "somebody else?" But nope. Just me & my meter... ;)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Exactly! She still takes my breath away every single day. Pretty much, it feels like I could actually live the rest of my life without having sex ever again and I’d be completely fine. But obviously she’s not going to want that, nor should she. Ya know?

Communicating these points to her is critical.......sometimes some people just need to work up to it a lot slower, so as to awaken the libido, it will still be there......

but don't forget the doctor as I am sure there will be some medical solutions that can help you out too....

and of course.....get the BG under better control.....;)

Reactions: LordReptilia

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LordReptilia ,

Welcome to the forum.

Your blood sugar levels. How are they running at the moment?
I know i can be a little standoffish with the simple contact stuff when high...

I've been asked if there was "somebody else?" But nope. Just me & my meter... ;)

Lately, they’ve been sort of everywhere with finals coming up and my sophomore year of college coming to a right close. Sometimes they’ll be in the 300’s and sometimes they’ll be mid 100’s.

Hahah I completely agree with that statement

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Communicating these points to her is critical.......sometimes some people just need to work up to it a lot slower, so as to awaken the libido, it will still be there......

but don't forget the doctor as I am sure there will be some medical solutions that can help you out too....

and of course.....get the BG under better control.....;)

Fair enough! And ya I really need to look into this and figure it out.

Ahh the never-dying villain, BG’s...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lately, they’ve been sort of everywhere with finals coming up and my sophomore year of college coming to a right close. Sometimes they’ll be in the 300’s and sometimes they’ll be mid 100’s.

Hahah I completely agree with that statement

Hi again.

So when the "planets align." Stuff still works down there?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
“When the planets align” oh my god hahahah. Genius! But yes, everything functions properly

Sorry about that.. Spent too long writing songs in a rock band. :shy:

If it's any consolation to you.? I'm headbutting 50. When Orion's belt shines bright. It still sets our world alight.

Blood sugar managment is the key..
I wouldn't be too overly concerned regarding your libido. Not everyone thinks about sex 24/7.

Keeping the mechanics working when you're ready, is where it's at!

LordReptilia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry about that.. Spent too long writing songs in a rock band. :shy:

If it's any consolation to you.? I'm headbutting 50. When Orion's belt shines bright. It still sets our world alight.

Blood sugar managment is the key..
I wouldn't be too overly concerned regarding your libido. Not everyone thinks about sex 24/7.

Keeping the mechanics working when you're ready, is where it's at!

Nothing wrong with Rock at all! Favorite musicians/bands? I guess I’m worried because I’ve already had it for 20 years and spent half of it with my A1C’s averaging around 12% in the US and like 118 in the EU

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Nothing wrong with Rock at all! Favorite musicians/bands? I guess I’m worried because I’ve already had it for 20 years and spent half of it with my A1C’s averaging around 12% in the US and like 118 in the EU
Well, I was diagnosed at 8 in 1970 and didn't have a glucometer until my early 20s. I know my sugars were bad all the way through my teens :), but have no idea how bad. (I think my hbA1C was round about 12 or so when I was first given a glucometer, which was definitely a life changing moment.) It's never too late to take control of your diabetes and many complications are reversible. After 48 years my diabetic issues are mild on again off again background retinopathy, which hasn't yet required any treatment. So use your previously high HbA1C as a reason to lower it now, rather than a reason to panic.

Good luck, and definitely talk to your doctor about your issues. Hopefully you've also told your girl friend what you've written here.