Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
During Diabetes Week on Thursday 16 June, Diabetes.co.uk will be conducting a Q&A with renowned diabetes expert and author Dr David Cavan.

Dr Cavan is the author of Reverse Your Diabetes: The Step-by-Step Plan to Take Control of Type 2 Diabetes and follow-up Reverse Your Diabetes Diet: The new eating plan to take control of type 2 diabetes, with 60 quick-and-easy recipes.

Dr David Cavan also worked for 17 years as consutant physician at the Bournemouth Diabetes and endocrine centre. He has expertise in all areas of diabetes management, particularly intensive management of type 1 diabetes.

Dr. Cavan will be answering questions from the diabetes community live between 7pm-8pm (1900-2000). Questions can be posted in advance on this thread, or posted to our Facebook and Twitter feeds during the live session.

THE Q&A HAS NOW ENDED

Last edited by a moderator:

TJohn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My question.

Have lost 3 and half stone and am now off metformin and insulin after 6 years. Following diet for blood sugar. Feel fantastic. Cut carbs to 60 a day with gp permission. No bread rare potatoes. My question is that why does my sugar levels rise if I have no carbohydrate in a meal. Just for information everything made fresh all fresh food decided to have a binge weekend fresh bread cake sweets alcohol. Results I slept most of weekend felt so ill. Husband had bad stomach did I say he lost 2 stone without knowing I just changed meals. Food impacts on the brain back on plan but really struggled as body quickly wanted carbs particularly sugar. Can anyone answer my question.please. first time on forum

glenford56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have monckeberg but the doctor has little knowledge of it or how to treat it. I was advised to take l carnitine but I am still in the dark and get restless legs frequently. Any advice pls

Mammy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Last month I went for my 6 months checkup and my Dr was quite mad at me because my GI was 6.0 mmol/l and according to her was too low! What is the realistic counter if you are type 2 with 1.65m and 60Kg? I am confused as I though I would got a trophy!! Btw. I am currently reading your book.got

Colorado

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Last month I went for my 6 months checkup and my Dr was quite mad at me because my GI was 6.0 mmol/l and according to her was too low! What is the realistic counter if you are type 2 with 1.65m and 60Kg? I am confused as I though I would got a trophy!! Btw. I am currently reading your book.got
I think normal readings if non diabetic are 4.5 - 5.5!

Reactions: 2 people

Badboydavey1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
During Diabetes Week on Thursday 16 June, Diabetes.co.uk will be conducting a Q&A with renowned diabetes expert and author Dr David Cavan.

Dr Cavan is the author of Reverse Your Diabetes: The Step-by-Step Plan to Take Control of Type 2 Diabetes and follow-up Reverse Your Diabetes Diet: The new eating plan to take control of type 2 diabetes, with 60 quick-and-easy recipes.

Dr David Cavan also worked for 17 years as consutant physician at the Bournemouth Diabetes and endocrine centre. He has expertise in all areas of diabetes management, particularly intensive management of type 1 diabetes.

Dr. Cavan will be answering questions from the diabetes community live between 7pm-8pm (1900-2000). Questions can be posted in advance on this thread, or posted to our Facebook and Twitter feeds during the live session.

High I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on the the 7th may I was put on metformin 500mg once a day and within 2 weeks id lost 1 and half stone and bouncing off the walls that's when I was rushed into hospital with levels of 32 now my question is I suffer from chronic pancreatitis and 2 days ago I had to take it into my own hands for aGAD and C-PEPTIDE test to see how much natural insulin my pancrease is producing also I'm on day 5 of low carb diet and I have slashed levels from high 20's and low 30's to 17 GREAT

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
High I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on the the 7th may I was put on metformin 500mg once a day and within 2 weeks id lost 1 and half stone and bouncing off the walls that's when I was rushed into hospital with levels of 32 now my question is I suffer from chronic pancreatitis and 2 days ago I had to take it into my own hands for aGAD and C-PEPTIDE test to see how much natural insulin my pancrease is producing also I'm on day 5 of low carb diet and I have slashed levels from high 20's and low 30's to 17 GREAT

Particle Subfraction tests showing the number, size, density of LDL are now common in the USA. Clearly understanding whether our LDL is small dense or large fluffy as part of our Lipid Panel is important for a complete understanding of of cholesterol health.

Is this test readily available on the NHS in the UK yet?

So far I have only found a private Harley street test at around £300.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

JeanCL

New Question for Dr Cavan: I saw the 'How to stay young' with Angela Ripon who said she was taking Inulin healthfood shop supplement to help with her visceral bodyfat and have been trying this as I think I'm starting to get this and have been taking it for a few weeks. My Hba1c recent reading was 43, same as 18 months ago, and I don't want it to rise to full diabetes. I've started taking Low GI bread, seeds with my porage and sweet potatoes as starch. I walk loads with my dogs and have a low BMI. I'd been getting more tired, hungry, thirsty, loo visits for quite a while. Do you feel I can avoid 'progressing' to T2D? Thank you

happy2b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear Dr Cavan

... ARRESTED BECAUSE OF LBS. I recently had a spurt of very low blood sugars and often wasn't aware of having them. On one occasion, I left a well known store with a pair of shoes in my trolley, I had paid for everything else but hadn't noticed these underneath a carrier bag. I was standing outside in a complete daze when a security guard asked me to follow him and I was taken to a back room in the store and told they were going to call the police. I tested my sugar and it was 1.4. I explained that I was diabetic and that I had the proof of low blood sugar, but they completely ignored this. I felt too out of it to say anything much in my defence. Police came, but also ignored me when I explained why the shoes had been in my trolley and I was cautioned and told to come to the police station next day. I wrote a full explanatory statement, but nobody would read this and I was told that if I was interviewed I would have to go to court. I was also told by the duty solicitor that they (police) had already made up their minds that I was guilty and that they would prosecute, so I should pay the fine and accept the criminal record. Is there anything else I could have done? I have never been accused or found guilty of anything and had no intention whatsoever of taking anything, I just wasn’t really aware of where I was or what I was doing.