liver function test

belfer100

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 on metformin and gliclazide for last ten months. Combined diet and medication helped to control sugar levels 4.8-5.2.
Recently the liver function tests show serum ALT levels steadily going up and currently shooting over 2400 (top level shouldn't exceed 55)
At the same time I experience hypos everyday, sometimes three times also night time. That is something new to me and worrying.
Has anybody experienced anything similar?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I believe it is the glicizide.
If you have control then you will hypo.

Not sure on liver function, but low carb diet should help as you lose the visceral fat.
That's if you need to!

I had a high liver function and fatty liver, but because of change in my lifestyle, both back to normal..

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
are you on statins?
I've come off three separate ones as they've been doing my Liver function in.....
2400 is pretty big, what your GP say?
Good luck

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 on metformin and gliclazide for last ten months. Combined diet and medication helped to control sugar levels 4.8-5.2.
Recently the liver function tests show serum ALT levels steadily going up and currently shooting over 2400 (top level shouldn't exceed 55)
At the same time I experience hypos everyday, sometimes three times also night time. That is something new to me and worrying.
Has anybody experienced anything similar?

Belfer - That sounds like a big number you have there on the ALT. I would ask a couple of things:

- Do you know what your last ALT score was, to assess whether it has risen significantly>
- Are you low carbing aggressively?
- What scores are you experiencing when you hypo, if your range is 4.8 to 5.2, and when are you at the 4.8-5.2 numbers?

I don't actually agree with @nosher8355 that if you have control, you will have hypos on Gliclazide. I think my thoughts would be that if you have changed your diet and your bloods scores are reducing, then it could well be that your dosage needs to be adjusted. It is very common for those embarking on their diabetes journey to find their medication needs to be adjusted, depending on whether they are gaining great control (might require a reduction), or struggling more to reduce levels for whatever reason (meds might need to be increased).

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes I agree with @AndBreathe.
My post wasn't specific enough.
Glicizide will send you into hypo if your dosage is too high and you have some semblance of good control.
I apologise if it was interpreted different.

To the OP, yes have a talk to your GP, as your liver function is quite high!

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree with @AndBreathe.
My post wasn't specific enough.
Glicizide will send you into hypo if your dosage is too high and you have some semblance of good control.
I apologise if it was interpreted different.

To the OP, yes have a talk to your GP, as your liver function is quite high!

Thanks nosher. I'd hate the OP to consider he was on an unsuitable medication, when control is in place. :)

Reactions: 4 people