Liver Health

TonyTruthful

Hey Dudes,

Over the last couple of years my blood tests are showing I have raised liver enzymes. I think my AST is @ 61 and should be btw 10-40. I do drink a fair bit of alcohol, probably too much.

However, I was given the option of leaving it [and reduce alcohol in-take] or go for an ultrasound and further blood tests as the Dr said it could be something more sinister. I said I would have more tests.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Starting to diagnose myself via the web and worrying myself.

I’ve been T1 for 12 years.

Thanks,

TonyT.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I thought I might have liver problems or cirrhosis because of pains under my right rib that wouldn't shift- I got a lot of evidence off the internet that suggested I did have liver problems: all turned out to be false. Don't worry too much for now- if you're at something like stage 4 or cirrhosis, you'd know about it, and I'm pretty sure your numbers would be a lot worse. If you're not that far gone, there's a lot you can do to help your liver heal.

Get your tests done for piece of mind, and if there *is* anything that needs to be sorted, the sooner you catch it, the better.

TonyTruthful

I thought I might have liver problems or cirrhosis because of pains under my right rib that wouldn't shift- I got a lot of evidence off the internet that suggested I did have liver problems: all turned out to be false. Don't worry too much for now- if you're at something like stage 4 or cirrhosis, you'd know about it, and I'm pretty sure your numbers would be a lot worse. If you're not that far gone, there's a lot you can do to help your liver heal.

Get your tests done for piece of mind, and if there *is* anything that needs to be sorted, the sooner you catch it, the better.

Thanks Geordie! I was giving myself a couple of years and no more booze ever. Great thing to do on a Monday!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For years, my full blood panel results always showed I was on my way to a fatty liver and liver function tests that were high, these were fasting tests.
All my doctors said to cut out alcohol. The fact that I had not had an alcoholic drink for a few years. They didn't believe me, no surprise there!
After diagnosis and low carb diet. I was still getting a high reading with my liver function. But soon after, when I lost the weight, I was told that if I wasn't careful, my liver results would not be good, so I was then told that I had NAFL.
The next step was through diet, to get my liver function down. But it never did until I was told that because it was a fasting test, I was dehydrated.
So next blood test, I drank a lot of water before.
Result, not a problem and my NAFL had somehow repaired itself.

So yes, it can be done!