Liver on the menu?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now funny enough... I mentioned that earlier, which got cut? (Far enough!)
But I'm left thinking I'm wrong, the bad is now good.. Then I'm shocked to find the good is bad.. :banghead:

A whole generation brought up on this stuff to be replaced with "pot noodle.."

To be fair. I would agree dietary requirements will change over the life cycle regarding nutrients..

@Bluetit1802 my mum was told the same thing about liver, carrying my sister & I...
Lol, it never did us any harm..! ;)

and it never did my daughter any harm either, 100% healthy and bouncing. She still is (most of the time!)

Reactions: Jaylee

benford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DOCTORS
Good afternoon my griends I am in my 4th week of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes,sticking to my diet regime but I would like to ask another question if I may,can I eat lambs liver ,thank you:)
One of my favourites with onions,had it on Tuesday delicious.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back to the liver. Yes it was the Terra Nova expedition if anyone wants to read up as to why you shouldn't eat dogs liver and possibly go easy on anyone else's liver while you are at it.
Even when washed down with a fine wine?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How strange. My GP advised me to eat liver when I was pregnant with my eldest as I was so low on iron. Liver and guinness :D

Perhaps that was before the advice changed? They're always updating pregnancy advice.

It's not just liver. The NHS advises against taking Vit A supplements if pregnant. I checked my pregnancy vits just to be sure and they had a message on explaining they didn't contain Vit A.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps that was before the advice changed? They're always updating pregnancy advice.

It's not just liver. The NHS advises against taking Vit A supplements if pregnant. I checked my pregnancy vits just to be sure and they had a message on explaining they didn't contain Vit A.

I believe for @mahola (sorry if wrong!?) it was 12/14 years back..?

When did you have yours...?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my last baby last year :) The advice is changed pretty often :)

Wow! Belated congratulations then.. :cool:
Forgive me. I always thought you were diagnosed after your last kid. Didn't realize it was so young...?
(I normally switch of notifications after I tag you in the baby stuff.) ;)

Reactions: azure

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Liver, onion gravy and almond flour polenta is now a firm favourite. Found some chicken livers the other day and gave them just a fast, light saute, then piled them up on a socca pancake. Really tasty! :happy:

Reactions: Oldvatr

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have liver stroganof(spelling ?) called strongenough in our house ! Liver ,lots of onions and mushrooms ,cream ,squeeze of lemon and seasoning served on caulli florets or a little basmati rice if you can manage the carbs
PS The liver is sliced very thinly and cut into strips
CAROL

Reactions: Oldvatr

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love liver, particularly with bacon but onions will do just as well. I dunno whether the warnings are valid or not, but it seems to have done me no harm since childhood, when it was a firm favourite in our house. (I suspect it was also a cheap option that my poverty-stricken parents could afford).

Must admit, I take the warning with a bit of salt - mostly because it's the NHS website, and .... well ... they're the ones that advise the Eatwell Plate don't they, and we all know what that means ... :eek: On that basis, I'd sorta, kinda, be inclined to do the opposite of what they advise ..... or at least think about it very carefully.

BTW, I'm sure I remember Tim Noakes including liver amongst a range of other things, when introducing babies to solid foods during weaning process. The tutorial is in @Indy51 thread about his trial, can't remember which session number it was in - one of the later ones, but I remember him mentioning it (though of course my memory could be at fault).

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How strange. My GP advised me to eat liver when I was pregnant with my eldest as I was so low on iron. Liver and guinness :D

In the 70s Guinness or Stout was advised every day here too when pregnant and breast feeding. Any alcohol during pregnancy is now a total no no.

Reactions: azure

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that dog liver should be avoided. There was a story about a breakaway group from Scott of the Antarctic's party. They survived by eating the dogs as they headed home. Large areas of skin fell off due to the fact that dog's liver is particularly rich in vitamin A.

Not a lot of people know that.
I have a BSc degree from the Open University - it turns people into vacuum cleaners for knowledge. The particularly dangerous livers are from carnivores, as they have concentrations of vitamin A thousands of times above the safe level. There was an ancient Human fossil found which showed signs of Vit. A poisoning. The surface of it was all rough and it must have been really painful to move.

S

serenity648

I buy organic lambs live and eat it once a week with onions and tomatoes. Yummy!!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love liver, particularly with bacon but onions will do just as well. I dunno whether the warnings are valid or not, but it seems to have done me no harm since childhood, when it was a firm favourite in our house. (I suspect it was also a cheap option that my poverty-stricken parents could afford).

Must admit, I take the warning with a bit of salt - mostly because it's the NHS website, and .... well ... they're the ones that advise the Eatwell Plate don't they, and we all know what that means ... :eek: On that basis, I'd sorta, kinda, be inclined to do the opposite of what they advise ..... or at least think about it very carefully.

BTW, I'm sure I remember Tim Noakes including liver amongst a range of other things, when introducing babies to solid foods during weaning process. The tutorial is in @Indy51 thread about his trial, can't remember which session number it was in - one of the later ones, but I remember him mentioning it (though of course my memory could be at fault).
Your memory is excellent - in the latest video posted (Part 32), he talks about the 5 foods required to cover full nutritional needs and liver was one of them. Can't recall all 5 but sardines is another. Kale he says is the best of the veggies. Apparently full details are covered in his book "Raising Superheroes".

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sunflower seeds was also one of the five foods. One reason to avoid liver is if you have hemochromatosis (sp?) which is more common in people of Celtic descent. People with this should avoid red meats and organ meats high in iron.

Reactions: Indy51