Liver problems

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Hello all. I've got problems with my liver at the moment possibly from a nasty virus or a recent course of antibiotics. I had a blood test to check HbA1c and its gone from 50 to 55 in 6 months with no real change in diet. Could this relate to liver problems? Has anyone else been here?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. I've got problems with my liver at the moment possibly from a nasty virus or a recent course of antibiotics. I had a blood test to check HbA1c and its gone from 50 to 55 in 6 months with no real change in diet. Could this relate to liver problems? Has anyone else been here?
Hi

Forum rules prevent us diagnosing or trying to diagnose, but people might be happy to share their personal experiences.

It's fairly common for a period of illness to go along with a raised BG - I've had this and you'll find many other accounts on the forum. The body seems often to respond to illness by providing more glucose. Sometimes I'll see the BG rise a day or so before I start to feel off.

That said, the increase in your A1c result is comparatively small and could be entirely caused by the 5% acceptable error in the HbA1c test. A true A1c of 52/53 could give results of 50 or 55, admittedly at the opposite ends of the allowable range.

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Hi

Forum rules prevent us diagnosing or trying to diagnose, but people might be happy to share their personal experiences.

It's fairly common for a period of illness to go along with a raised BG - I've had this and you'll find many other accounts on the forum. The body seems often to respond to illness by providing more glucose. Sometimes I'll see the BG rise a day or so before I start to feel off.

That said, the increase in your A1c result is comparatively small and could be entirely caused by the 5% acceptable error in the HbA1c test. A true A1c of 52/53 could give results of 50 or 55, admittedly at the opposite ends of the allowable range.
I've never thought about that. I always assumed that it was accurate. It was changes like that that always got my doctor suggesting more medication. I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse on Monday so I feel forewarned now thank you.