beckysalvage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I have recently moved from the UK to Costa Rica for a job for 2 years and I am struggling a little with my diabetic control. In the UK I was well controlled, minimal hypos and an HbA1c of 6.5 (when I left in June 2016). I have been Type 1 diabetic for 25 years, since I was 2 years old. I use Homolog and Lantus and I carb count having been on the DAFNE course a couple of years ago (which I totally recommend if anyone has the chance to do one!)

My blood sugars are fine during the day and in the evening. For example yesterday they ran at about 7 all day, and when I went to bed they were 6.3. However I woke up this morning at 20.4, and this is not the first morning I have had such a high blood sugar. Has anyone else had experience of this? I thought coming to Costa Rica my blood sugars would be lower as I tend to run lower in the heat, but that hasn't been the case. Any advice on having a single high blood sugar first thing in the morning would be great!

Also, I know its a long shot - but anyone had any experience of diabetic care out here in Costa Rica?? As I am working I pay taxes to the CAJA (like an NHS type service) but they don't seem to supply the insulin that I need. Does anyone have experience of purchasing insulin here??

Thanks so much for taking the time to read!

Becky

Reactions: himtoo

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hey @beckysalvage
welcome to the forum !! :)
I think I am one of the few T1's that get higher bloods( more insulin resistance ) with warmer weather.

I have to increase my basal doses by around 10-25% to keep numbers in range.

you will need to do some basal testing to ensure you titrate your overnight insulin correctly.

bolus doses for meals increased for me as well in the warm weather ( july and august in Italy )

all the best !!

adcurtis100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i think the heat does affect insulin for eg most insulin works better in cooler weather also it might be worth looking into what you eat other in rica because most foods in uk contain additives and preservatives was as costa rica may be fresh so the sugar in the food might take longer to get into your system when do you take your lantus insulin @beckysalvage