Not open for further replies.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done Molly!!

My hubby worst diyer ever, but great at sourcing and cuffing up free wood for log burner. Keeps him more active too...

My stepdad does a lot of wood turning, (rather thanwoodworking) and it keeps him occupied all day everyday. My mum has a doorbell to buzz in kitchen so he comes in for food!!

Occupying our minds is good for our bodies in a strange sort of way.

Really pleased that you talked to your friend too..

Hope OH does get on ok when he goes for next check up...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hope OH does get on ok when he goes for next check up...

Have an appointment at end of next week.....

However, evidently he had a call from the doctors to say that they had his blood test results and asked him to make an appointment with his GP......he put this off as had already made appointment to see the diabetic nurse.

Not sure if I should be worried or not....if it was me I would want to know now.

sas401

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have had some progress since starting this thread in terms of him deciding that he needs to find things to occupy himself. He does enjoy woodwork so have suggested that perhaps he can spend some time sorting out the shed and making something useful.....May be just a small step but it is a step in the right direction.

Have also been giving some more thought as to how I can help him and encourage him to make some changes to help himself.....am feeling a little more positive for now. :)
Hi Molly,
I have just posted a very similar thread to you before I read your post. The only difference is that my husband is willing to excersize and he keeps himself interested in hobbies. He has had two surgeries on his back and is awaiting replacement hips due to damage caused from farming - these restrict the amount he can do but it doesn't stop him wanting to get out and do something. It just frustrates him when he cant physically do it.
I am glad your husband is starting to take a step in the right direction. I have found that a little at a time is the best method and when he realises that something does help him he is happy with it and willing to try more.
He has never had a good diabetic nurse and although he has tried so many times, I have found that they have been unreasonable and I do think sometimes it can result in a worse condtion rather than better.
Will keep an eye on your post too as is very relevant to my post.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Molly,
I have just posted a very similar thread to you before I read your post. The only difference is that my husband is willing to excersize and he keeps himself interested in hobbies. He has had two surgeries on his back and is awaiting replacement hips due to damage caused from farming - these restrict the amount he can do but it doesn't stop him wanting to get out and do something. It just frustrates him when he cant physically do it.
I am glad your husband is starting to take a step in the right direction. I have found that a little at a time is the best method and when he realises that something does help him he is happy with it and willing to try more.
He has never had a good diabetic nurse and although he has tried so many times, I have found that they have been unreasonable and I do think sometimes it can result in a worse condtion rather than better.
Will keep an eye on your post too as is very relevant to my post.

Hi, have just read your post and seems similar circumstances. I would be interested to hear the outcome or suggestions to your post as I think my partner may be going towards insulin injections....which I know he will adamantly refuse...he has already said that he will not take any more tablets when we go to see the nurse next week so could have a situation on my hands to deal with.

Am thinking perhaps a bit of research is needed before the appointment to go prepared for different scenarios so will be useful to see what answers come back to your recent post and look into the options available. Is always difficult when you are not the patient though as to knowing how much you can ask without breaching the rules!

Is good to know that here is someone else on the forum in similar circumstances ....will also keep an eye on your posts to see what info and advice is offered which may also be of use to me

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you haven't done so already read this thread --> kman and then make sure your hubby reads it. If that doesn't make him want to take control of his diabetes then nothing will.

Reactions: 2 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you haven't done so already read this thread --> kman and then make sure your hubby reads it. If that doesn't make him want to take control of his diabetes then nothing will.

Thanks for the link...have had a read myself but have not shared with my partner as yet.

Will wait and see what his blood test results are next week before making any other suggestions....best to see how the land lies first before making any decisions.

Perhaps the threat of moving on to insulin will be the incentive he needs without having to resort to other tactics....am not sure this is the case for definite but the doctor did indicate at one appointment it would be 'when ' not 'if' insulin would be the next step.....and 'sooner rather than later'

Don't know that my partner took this on board at that point because it was me that asked the question...in fact he probably didn't even notice that I had asked...or if he did he wouldn't have remembered as he has such a shocking memory at the moment.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have been giving some more thought to the diet side of things as this is something that I can influence to some extent. My partner has I think got into some bad habits with eating that are probably having an impact on his diabetes.....

To start with he rarely eats breakfast as he has problems getting up in the morning - have stressed the importance of eating breakfast but can't make him!

Having looked at the forum though I have learnt that carbohydrates are the main enemy....rather than the sugar....and have explained this to him....which leads me to his habit of eating a bowl of cereal late in the evening a couple of hours after his evening meal - a very strange habit to me and one which I think I should more actively discourage.

This leads me to the question.....what should I encourage him to eat if he feels that he needs something to satisfy any hunger pangs?

I am going to try to discourage cereal or bread (both of which he will pick on during the evening before going to bed) and was thinking of encouraging say cheese and biscuits (table water biscuits as low in sugars and fats) .Had also thought that nuts (eg Brazil nuts) would be another suggestion.

Are these suggestions good or is there any reason why these should be avoided....am finding the whole food issue a bit confusing the more I look at it...are there any other suggestions of food that I could actively encourage?

Is porridge ok or is that another no no

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
was thinking of encouraging say cheese and biscuits (table water biscuits as low in sugars and fats)

He needs high fats .. Cheese biscuits can be good .. But look at the carb content as some are lower than others .. I cannot eat porridge .. It spikes me way to high .. I know others can eat it ... I can eat one slice thin slice of granary bread with cheese toasted .... This is my breakfast most mornings.

For my supper I often have mixed berries with a scoop of full cream chocolate ice cream with a dribble of double cream and a few almonds

Started dibeites t2 in January .. And have lost 4 stone so far with the low carb high fat diet .. It's all down to my wife sorting out how and what I eat then taking bs to see what works for me. My bs are between 4.5 and 6.0 most days .. My cholesterol is perfect .. As I have heart problems have to watch cholesterol levels ..

We are all different .. So test .. Eat ... 2 hrs after test again .. Make lots of notes of eating and bs numbers to remind you and him of what's good and not good ....

Hope he sees that it's the best for him .. I feel so good now the weight is going down and the sugar is under control

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The idea of having cream is a good one. Since your OH likes cereal he might be enjoying the milk as much as anything else so cream is good and higher in fat. The mixed berries is another good idea and sometimes I have diced apple in my extra thick cream. At the moment of course there are strawberries which are proving popular with me.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We are all different .. So test .. Eat ... 2 hrs after test again .. Make lots of notes of eating and bs numbers to remind you and him of what's good and not good ....

Thanks for the advice.....unfortunately my partner has been told that it is not necessary to test which I have questioned in one of my other posts on this forum......another thing to query with the diabetic nurse when we see her on Friday.

Am pleased that you and your wife have found some success with keeping an eye on what you eat and improving your bs....it gives me some hope that perhaps a change of diet will lead to some improvements, however small.

I do think that I will have my work cut out though as difficult to change the habits of a lifetime but it must be worth a try.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are almost all told not to test !!! But without testing you will never be able to take control of the sugar .. He will also be told to eat way to many carbs ...
It's up to him to trust you and not some medic that is just following orders with the advice they dish out.
In this life we have choices .. He can choose to not take control or listen to good advice within these forum pages from people who's lives have been touched by diabetes.
Most of us here have changed eating habits of a life time ..
All my blood tests have returned to normal .. And I feel better than I have for years.. For me it was easy .. I trusted the research my wife has done and tested .. I don't talk to my diabetic nurse anymore .. Just nodd and get my blood test results

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This leads me to the question.....what should I encourage him to eat if he feels that he needs something to satisfy any hunger pangs?

I am going to try to discourage cereal or bread (both of which he will pick on during the evening before going to bed) and was thinking of encouraging say cheese and biscuits (table water biscuits as low in sugars and fats) .Had also thought that nuts (eg Brazil nuts) would be another suggestion.

I think we must have mice......the cheese I bought yesterday disappeared during the night!.....plus half a packet of water biscuits

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think we must have mice......the cheese I bought yesterday disappeared during the night!.....plus half a packet of water biscuits

You may have to just sit the "mice" down and explain that with cheese, there has to still be portion control.. Especially if Mr Mouse is still eating higher amounts of carbs....

Loving life

Reactions: 5 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As already mentioned by @Enclave above, many T2 diabetics are told that there isn't any need to test. Just eat 'healthy', which isn't much help at all.

I used to eat a LOT of fruit and high GI complex carbs, virtually fat free and low sugar (in terms of cakes, chocolate, processed foods).

If I had carried on eating that way I would now be on insulin and having laser treatment for bleeds in my eyes and difficulty walking - just like my sister :-(

It is important to test how food raises your blood sugars - everyone is different so there are no set rules. If your OH won't test then I would suggest you gradually change all the white carboy foods such as bread, pasta, flour, rice etc for high grain ones and reduce portion size.

There are a number of recipes on the lowcarb forum for things like breads, cakes, and substitutes for asked potatoes etc.

Reduce the amount of fruit and increase the amount of non-startchy veg.

Also, could you encourage him to take some exercise with you, maybe a gentle walk to begin with or a swim?

AND - what about getting him to make lots of woodwork trinkets/boxes/anything! to sell at a christmas craft fair? If he had a focus he might be more inclined to get up and out and about.

Another thought is diabetics are apparently more likely to be depressed (my DN asks every time I have my annual review - think she is a bit disappointed she can't prescribe any medications for me). Exercise and diet are crucial in coping with depression.

I know it must be very hard for you but well done for trying to help your OH.

G

graj0

Thanks for that, absolutely fascinating.

I quite often only consume between 800 and 900 and usually it's not a problem hunger wise, I'm not sure how I would do with rabbit food and a drink or two, although I do make a thing in my nutri bullet with supplements and apple and a Benecol drink which does me OK for breakfast. BTW I'm no longer losing weight on that amount, I wonder if the learned professor could tell me why.

I had been wandering about why diabetes II tends to be progressive and had wandered if it was anything to do with taking drugs to get the pancreas to produce more insulin for a long time, and then the pancreas "struggling" to create any insulin at all, only a theory. I had a C-Peptide test done a few weeks back and my pancreas is producing within normal range of insulin.

I was also interested in what he said about fat and if my memory serves me well he said that excess fat is stored as fat rather than excess calories are stored as fat. I better watch the other one now. He was also suggesting that the fat we consume affects how well our insulin deasl with glucose, although I need to double check that.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Correction to my earlier post.....just found half a packet of cheese at the back of the fridge behind the bowl of salad....seems that the mice ate only half of the cheese! Perhaps it is not so bad after all.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Status
Not open for further replies.