1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Long Covid. A support thread for those who take a while to recover from Covid-19

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by zand, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It all depends on where you are - some places can be contacted by you, others not. But if you're managing to keep you blood glucose levels around 5.4, you're doing pretty well meantime. How are your covid symptoms going? The fatigue is difficult to deal with, so, as I'm sure you've been told, it's best to pace yourself and not let yourself get too tired. Easier said than done!

• Like Like x 1
  2. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My situation was slightly different. I was diagnosed on lockdown day (the first one!) and had one phone call then. I then kept calling intermittently asking for a second test to confirm and finally got an appointment for 3 months later. That result too was just a phone call. For my years check I phoned 5 times at different times of the day until I got a different receptionist who booked me in. 11 months to the day until I first saw a DN. By the I had virtually got into remission myself

I do recommend try, try trying again, different times of different days to get an appointment. Our surgery now respond better to requests for appointments via their website than phone.
    Don't give up, your situation is much more serious than mine was.
    It is a bit of a lottery but stick with it.
    Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andie79

Andie79 Type 2 · Member

Am not too sure about the process really. I have found out the diabetes nurse is there on a Monday and Friday.. but that was only because I asked if they could up the amount of test strips I was prescribed as only get 100 (2pots) and need more than that.. I got told I had to request the change from my diabetes nurse so asked when she was in and they emailed me back saying I’d have to phone and book an appointment. They have a sign on the door saying they know they can’t answer all the calls.. and when I went in said no pre bookable ones available. rhe fatigue.. well I think I’ve just got used to it.. my hair is coming out at quite a pace.. got advised by online gp to take iron and vitamin D so got some of that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Andie79

Andie79 Type 2 · Member

Thank you.. I was on an insulin pump until the day before I was discharged.. for first few days/week home was 19 or so.. until the steroids left my system.. I had a crash course in injecting and was on my way home. My numbers are lower now.. but would just like to know I’m doing the right thing/heading in the right direction. If I need to change how I’m doing things I’d rather know sooner than later.
    I will persist with trying to get through. Problem is I’m on conference calls most of the day so can’t really sir on hold.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I lost a lot of hair after Covid too. What was left was brittle and broke easily. Hair grows in trimesters, so it will be a while before it recovers. 8 months after Covid mine started to show signs of growing again. A year after Covid my hair is in good condition and as thick as it has ever been.
    The best vitamin D supplement to take is vitamin D3 with vitamin K2, to ease absorption. My chiropractor told me that A supplement of B vitamins would be a good idea too.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. jennyjane

jennyjane Type 2 · Active Member

I had Covid on 27 December and really thought I had the flu as I had no breathing difficulties and although I had a cough it only happened infrequently and I had always suffered with coughing problems before.
    But I eventually realised that I had Covid as I had a fuzzy brain, runny/stuffed up nose, purple big toe and rash on leg near ankle. The toe problem is not a well known symptom and is callee "Covid toe". You can see full details of this if you google same, together with very good photos. I have still got this toe problem three months later. However, at the moment it has not caused many problems only the occasional jab of pain but the toe next to it has become infected as well and this is as bright pink colour!

Wonderful news, I heard on the news today that they are developing as pill in American that if one takes it at the early signs of Covid it will stop it in its tracks! This needs trials before it is released onto the market.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Yes I had a rash on my big toe and another near my knee. That was a very mild symptom for me though.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Andie79

Andie79 Type 2 · Member

Thank you! I’ve got some vitamin D but will get some of the other bits too!.. it’s nice to know that it will settle down and recover! I have (or had) really thick hair so it’s nice to know it will make a re-appearance

• Hug Hug x 1
  9. xxrubywxx_

xxrubywxx_ Type 1 · Member

I contracted Covid back in mid December I only started to feel myself in Feb. Had the Astra jab and it’s put me back it’s like I’m having to start recovery all over again. I had tests as I thought it was low vit or iron but turns out I’m still fatigued from Covid. The jab unfortunately put me 10 steps back. I take vit c & d every morning and I will start some vit b I think. My hair is very dry, nails are brittle etc. You will get there but it takes time. I have started walking during the day that helped me get my blood sugars down.

As soon as they started to lower I started to feel a lot better. But it takes some work. Making sure you are drinking a lot of water each day, taking vits everyday, eating foods that won’t spike your sugars and try to walk or gradually very slowly try become more active.

It’s hard you feel like a broken each time someone asks how your feeling! The past few months has been hard for us diabetics (as well the whole world) but it is quite tough on us.
    I really hope you start to feel better soon!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. BrianDoc

BrianDoc · Well-Known Member

I caught covid in mid October, found out I was diabetic whilst in intensive care with it in late October early November, they were apparently initially unsure if I was diabetic because the steroids give a false reading, however they decided I was, and that I was only recently diabetic but that my readings were I now know the equivalent of 17 on my meter but were probably elevated because of the various medications I was on.

2 weeks in intensive care, a week in high dependency and I was released mid November with the instructions to do very little over the coming 6 months, take 2x 500 metaformin in the morning and again in the evening and forget about diabetes for 6 months.

The first 6 weeks out of hospital I had very little appetite, and by the time my appetite had returned I had found this site and gone on a low carb diet. When I was tested by the surgery nurse in March my readings were equivalent of 6.1, I have to go back to see her in 6 months and if I maintain or improve my readings we willhalf the meds with a view to coming off them all together.

I still haven’t fully recovered from covid, still lose my breath without too much exertion, and have traces of blood in my spit, particularly first thing in the morning, but overall I am much much better, and really can’t thank the nhs enough.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Well I thought long covid was gone having felt fine since January. Not so sure now, I'm very lethargic and my limbs are heavy and I am so tired. Going to bed early tonight. My heart has also gone out of rhythm again, just like all the other long covid episodes.
    It could be that I am coming down with something else, but this feels 'covidy'.

• Hug Hug x 4
  14. Goonergal

It does seem to be the case that long Covid can come back after it’s seemingly gone. I was recently diagnosed with it, having had what was presumed to be Covid in March 2020. I recovered but had several short (24-48 hour) relapses, the last of which (or so I thought) was at the end of October. However it came back with a vengeance at the start of February and I’ve been off work ever since. Seems to be slowly improving, but the unpredictability and persistence of the virus is quite hard to deal with. Not fun at all!

• Hug Hug x 3
  15. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Yes mine have been 48 hour relapses too. I hope this goes quickly too. My brain hasn't been right today. I asked hubby to help me cross the road and he thought I was joking.

Let's hope yours is on its way out for good now.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I was doing quite well Jan to March, then I had my 1st vaccination and it seems to have set me back a bit.

• Hug Hug x 4
  17. Rustytypin

Rustytypin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Just reviving this thread to say that there is an interesting article on long covid in this week’s Private Eye by their “MD”, Dr Phil Hammond.
    Unfortunately he’s saying that that there is no consensus on how to treat long covid, apart from rest in the early stages and taking things slowly. Wish I knew that 18 months ago. Currently research indicates that there are around 200 symptoms attributed to LC affecting all parts of the body.
    Long covid seems similar to ME/CFS and doctors don’t know how to treat them (that?) either.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Goonergal

Popping back here to post a very interesting article. It’s a very long read, but worth it in my opinion. I’ve now had a couple of appointments with the Long Covid clinic in my area - first by phone, which wasn’t helpful, then 3 months later (I got lost in the system), which was a couple of weeks ago, in person. The in person one was far more useful, with the doc seeming well informed and willing to experiment a bit with treatments (as am I).

https://www.mountainhomemag.com/2021/05/01/356270/the-drug-that-cracked-covid

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

No chance of me being referred to a clinic, even if there was one available in my area. According to my GP, because my covid was not verified with a test (this was before testing existed) I don't count as having had it. Despite her agreement that I had covid and probably long covid. She is frustrated by this.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Same here :(

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook