1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Long Covid. A support thread for those who take a while to recover from Covid-19

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by zand, Oct 9, 2020.

1. BrianDoc

BrianDoc · Well-Known Member

No long Covid clinics in Scotland as far as I know, and if there were the chances are by the time you get an appointment most people will be clear of it !

Still coughing up blood from time to time so phoned the dr last month, she referred me for an urgent ct scan, to make sure it was as a result of Covid and not lung cancer, she said I would get an appointment within a week, when I still didn’t have an appointment nearly 3 weeks later, I phoned her again, she chased it up only to be told there is a 22 week waiting list for urgent ct scans .... people will be terminally ill before they get a scan never mind an appointment for treatment !!

• Hug Hug x 6
  2. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

17 months on and, although I am mostly well, any extra exertion seems to tire me out for several days.

• Hug Hug x 4
  3. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

Yes me too. I guess it's progress as at least I can do a bit more now, even though I suffer for a while afterwards.

• Hug Hug x 5
  4. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Me too. Had this unidentifiable virus (because there were no tests available, in Scotland anyway) back in March 2020, ie 19 months ago. Was pretty poorly for a few weeks but eventually came back to normal - apart from breathlessness which wouldn't go away. Doctors have said it "probably was" covid but noway of telling at this stage. No obvious signs of damage to my lungs, and it eased off considerably for a while, but came back a couple of weeks ago. Now I've caught a cold and it is much worse. Doctors are happy to leave well alone - especially since they don''t have an answer. It's very wearing - not made any easier by exhaustion any time I do anything - literally anything, even just standing up. Reminds me of years ago when ME was considered to be a middle class imaginary condition - until they discovered a reason for it and started calling it a "post viral" condition.

• Hug Hug x 3
  5. Kyambala

Kyambala Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good afternoon Annb,
    This thread has gone on a long time - but then so has Long Covid.
    After about 18 months I still have little energy - but then I am almost 80 years old now.
    My blood sugars are good - between 5 and 6 and my HbA1c was 46 a few weeks ago - but after mainly sitting watching the TV or on my Laptop all day (even the Churches have been closed) my legs hurt whenever I go for a short walk.

I long for Summer and the energy to go outside again regularly. My wife does everything around our home and all I do is wash dishes.

I wish everyone on this site well, good health, and the energy to get those limbs working again.

If I don't speak to you again before then - Happy Christmas.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Maybe the long term exhaustion has something to do with age - I'm 76 and do almost nothing. My son has even started dealing with the dish washer in the last couple of days - that's something I always felt I could handle - and maybe will in a few days, who knows? It could also be high bg - that's a constant struggle for me. That's part of the trouble - exhaustion could be caused by anything. But I don't think the breathlessness has anything to do with diabetes.

Edited to add: I actually just drove to our local pharmacy - about 1/4 mile away but no way I could even think of walking it. But I needed a prescription and my son is also unwell at present, so I had to really push myself. And it just about killed me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  7. Kyambala

Kyambala Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply Annb,

Yes, perhaps age is a factor. I have a brother at 89 and a sister at 87 and another brother st 85 and another sister at 83 and they all seem to move around quite freely.

My father died aged 79 and my mother died aged 86, my oldest brother died some years ago aged 81 (too much whiskey) and an older sister died of cancer at 79.

I am the 7th of 10 siblings. My great grandfather died aged 98 - he was working as a Blacksmith shoeing a horse and fell over backwards and split his head open - otherwise he might still be alive - he would be about 200 years old now.

I do hope that you get your strength back soon and that your son makes a good recovery.

Have a nice day.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook