Long-term metformin woes; has anybody experience quitting?

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with type 2 whilst undergoing surgery as a hospital inpatient in 2003 and prescribed gliclazide. Issued with a glucometer, I adopted a low carbohydrate, healthy fat lifestyle. As my health improved, I was able to halve the daily dose to 40 mgs, but was advised by my GP's practice nurse not to reduce it further. In 2010 metformin was added.

In December 2018, I was advised to wean myself off gliclazide. Following a bumpy ride, I succeeded. Unfortunately, my metformin dose was increased to 1000 mg twice a day to compensate. This higher dose has caused diarrhoea most days, which has never settled. I would really like to quit metformin or at least reduce the dose. Has anybody experience of this?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with type 2 whilst undergoing surgery as a hospital inpatient in 2003 and prescribed gliclazide. Issued with a glucometer, I adopted a low carbohydrate, healthy fat lifestyle. As my health improved, I was able to halve the daily dose to 40 mgs, but was advised by my GP's practice nurse not to reduce it further. In 2010 metformin was added.

In December 2018, I was advised to wean myself off gliclazide. Following a bumpy ride, I succeeded. Unfortunately, my metformin dose was increased to 1000 mg twice a day to compensate. This higher dose has caused diarrhoea most days, which has never settled. I would really like to quit metformin or at least reduce the dose. Has anybody experience of this?
Oh yes - I lasted about 5 weeks on the tablets, and then I threw them in the bin. The combined effects of Metformin and Atorvastatin were too much to bear.
I rely on a low carb diet, and it works. I never actually needed to go through that misery, though I am mentally stronger now.

Reactions: LivingLightly

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Resurgam and TriciaWs for your replies.

Because the diarrhoea occurs first thing in the morning (30 second warning!), I'm fully prepared and able to avert a pants disaster most of the time. That said, I'm concerned about possible nutrient loss, so would like to reduce the dose.

Wonder whether halving the evening dose or whether taking the same dose every other day would help me adjust gradually.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Resurgam and TriciaWs for your replies.

Because the diarrhoea occurs first thing in the morning (30 second warning!), I'm fully prepared and able to avert a pants disaster most of the time. That said, I'm concerned about possible nutrient loss, so would like to reduce the dose.

Wonder whether halving the evening dose or whether taking the same dose every other day would help me adjust gradually.

Have you tried the Extended/Slow Release variant? Many find that helps with the gastric upset.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried the Extended/Slow Release variant? Many find that helps with the gastric upset.
Currently, I'm on bog standard metformin. When I enquired about the slow release version, I was warned that SR capsules could make the timing of my bouts of diarrhoea less predictable than at present. That said., thank you for your suggrstion; it's worth a try.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Currently, I'm on bog standard metformin. When I enquired about the slow release version, I was warned that SR capsules could make the timing of my bouts of diarrhoea less predictable than at present. That said., thank you for your suggrstion; it's worth a try.

What do you have to lose? If you start the SR leading into a quiet weekend (or whatever), it could put your mind at ease.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started metfomin about a year ago and had dreadful tummy ache, so I went on gastro slow release, I did have tummy cramps for about a week but persevered and now I don’t have any symptoms at all. I take 1000mg twice a day.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started metfomin about a year ago and had dreadful tummy ache, so I went on gastro slow release, I did have tummy cramps for about a week but persevered and now I don’t have any symptoms at all. I take 1000mg twice a day.
Righto, Ms M
I'll give SR metformin a whirl

Reactions: MissMuffett

bitofagit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed Metformin very recently, 2 tabs of 500 twice a day. After taking them for 2 days I found I was unable to really function on the third day. I scanned posts on this forum to find that I was not alone with this and immediately decided to bin the meds.
Started low carb diet that day and have been trying to increase physical activity also. Bought BG meter and testing as I go.
I would much rather attempt control of this T2 thing under my own control, not that of meds.
It has only been a few days, so lets see what happens.

Good luck with whatever you decide to action.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was prescribed Metformin very recently, 2 tabs of 500 twice a day. After taking them for 2 days I found I was unable to really function on the third day. I scanned posts on this forum to find that I was not alone with this and immediately decided to bin the meds.
Started low carb diet that day and have been trying to increase physical activity also. Bought BG meter and testing as I go.
I would much rather attempt control of this T2 thing under my own control, not that of meds.
It has only been a few days, so lets see what happens.

Good luck with whatever you decide to action.
Dear me, 2 x 500 mg twice a day was a whopping dose if it was your first encounter with the drug.
The usual starting dose is one 500 mg tablet once a day. That dosage may be gradually increased over time, as needed.

In my case, metformin was first prescribed c. 2010. All was well until 2018 when my prescription was increased to 1000 mg twice a day (see OP). That was when the early morning 30 second warnings began. I was told the diarrhoea would clear up once I became accustomed to the increased dose. Unfortunately, it never has.

Good luck with your quest to control your blood glucose readings solely with diet and exercise. Clearly it's better to manage without medication if possible.
LivingLightly

Ladynijo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m on 1000mg Metformin SR, which I take in the evening with my main meal of the day. Only started in February, had 3 or 4 episodes of turbulent bowels since. I consider I’ve got off lightly so far but the frustrating thing is not knowing what triggers it do I can avoid the problem. I was marshalling for a Marathon race & stuck out in the middle of nowhere one time, so it was acutely difficult to deal.

I know it’s not the statins because although I was handed those at the same time, I didn’t start taking them for a couple of months so I could be sure of what the side effects of Metformin were first. The statins don’t seem to have any adverse effects for me so far.

Ggls

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

To answer your question, no, I have the opposite problem. My doctor took me off of Metformin and put me on Ozempic which was a bit difficult to adjust to but I'm fine now but since I am on 3 highly constipating drugs I have to dose myself with 3 different types of laxatives. I don't think there is an easy answer, sorry.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your contribution to this thread. I suppose most drugs have their drawbacks.

My GP is away all this week and I have a stock of bog-standard Metformin tablets to use up. I'll try halving the evening dose over the next 7 days whilst monitoring the effect on my blood glucose readings. The alternative is to request a trial with SR metformin when my GP returns.