Looking For Pork Belly suggestions

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just bought some pork belly and am looking for any suggestions. I've never cooked to before. Simpler is better... whatcha got for me?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Roggg , did you mean to type LF (low fat) in the title? If so pork belly is quite a fatty cut of meat, I assume you mean LC (low carb)?

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Roggg , did you mean to type LF (low fat) in the title? If so pork belly is quite a fatty cut of meat, I assume you mean LC (low carb)?
Actually I meant "Looking For". Sometimes acronyms gets in the way...

Reactions: Rachox

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
I just roast the belly slices and it’s mouth watering delicious x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a halogen oven. I put the meat on a metal rack over a bowl and cook it at quite a high temperature for ten minutes each side, then turn the temperature down and cook it for long enough to be completely cooked and then a little more so it is falling apart tender. Sometimes I put veges on a perforated tray underneath so they are gently basted in the juices as they cook.

Nigel182

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tend to roast on tray in oven and sometimes coat with a sauce after checking its carb content or marinate for a few hours mostly soy sauce and ginger but plenty of other options.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For anyone interested, here's what I did. The pork belly I bought was pre-cut into strips about 4cm wide, and sadly there was no skin. I used salt and spices on the sides and bottom, and for the fat cap scored it and used salt only. 45 minutes in the oven at a high temp (500f) and then abut 2.5 hours at a low temp (275f).

It was fantastic. Rich and fatty. Tender and juicy. I will definitely make again.

I paired it with a fantastic cauliflower mash: chopped half an onion and then caramelized in generous portion of butter. Garlic (2 cloves) added near the end. Chopped and steamed a head of cauliflower until tender. Blend the onion/garlic butter, cauliflower and a splash of whole milk. Return to saucepan to heat and then stir in half a cup of grated parmesan.