Looking for some inspiration

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As to what you all eat, I currently have 'issues' where I'm not very confident in adjusting my insulin so tend to stick to a certain amount of carbs per meal, so breakfast will be 30g, lunch 40g and dinner 30g, this is an improvement from a few months ago but still not enough but I will get there, so hit me with your favourites please :) x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Heya @kaylz91 I have to be honest I eat pretty much the same thing every day, I have livilife bread for breakfast as it's a high protein low carb loaf, 4g of carb per slice, soup for lunch and nuts for snacking and evening meal is always a main but minus the carbs, so I give the household their dose of chips/mash/rice and mine is without, it's easy to manage every day when you eat the same sort of thing, but regardless each day I get different results as it also depends on levels of exercise, stress and hormones, all of which affect my BG levels. So I don't aim for perfection as that's impossible but just focus on managing my meter.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I'm eating pretty much the same things everyday too, porridge and raspberries for breakfast, a sandwich and nature valley bar for lunch and then potatoes and veg with either meat or fish for dinner xx

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
What do you usually eat? Beef, pork, chicken, fish, seafood, other meats, all, some or no veggies? What's your favourites?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just mentioned what I tend to eat above, veg tends to be sprouts at the moment and mushrooms, green beans, eat chicken once a week, fish 3 times a week, mince twice a week and thin cut steaks once a week x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hummus (ideally home made) with raw vegetables is really yummy and really filling. Depending on how much hummus you pig out on you can add a slice of bread to boost the carbs as necessary.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kaylz91 - Do you like to eat "traditional" meals or would you like things like tray bakes, which could be, say chicken portions (drummers/thighs, or whatever), plus either a mixture of something like onion, butternut squash, carrots, or if your looking to have something a bit lighter the veg could bo courgette, peppers, still some onion, and a tomatoes.

If you use different spices you can change up the flavours. Generally speaking, depending on the size of your veggie chunks and meat, the time spent is in the chopping, then give it all a decent ignoring in the oven for 45-60 minutes.

Is there anything you really don't like?

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just mentioned what I tend to eat above, veg tends to be sprouts at the moment and mushrooms, green beans, eat chicken once a week, fish 3 times a week, mince twice a week and thin cut steaks once a week x
lol, that post wasn't there when I asked the question. Sounds like you'll eat just about anything. Meals for one, two or more.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the things I do is a frittata, a recipe which I adapted from the diet doctor website. I hate cooking passionately, and even I can manage it. Stick it in oven for 20 minutes. Then I have 4 nights of dinners (it gives 8 pieces and there are two of us), which I have with some spinach leaves, and Boyfriend-Bells has with some salad.

I have cup a soup for lunch, but if you're a bit braver in the kitchen, you could make soup? Apparently there is also such a thing as a soup maker.

Reactions: db89

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like variety - can't do with the same thing day in, day out.

I'm not the world's most accomplished cook but I'll give stuff a go - one pots (honey mustard chicken with parsnips is a cold month favourite), frittatas as @EllsKBells pointed out (BBC Good Food has a cracking Prawn and Leek one) and I can usually whip up something to go in a jacket potato. I tend to portion stuff out once made, freeze the excess and have it again in a week or two.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't think you're low carb so ... steaks Diane, fajitas, hamburgers, chicken parmesan, stir fry, ribs, souvlaki, meatloaf, Monte Cristos, chicken Caesar salad, tenderloin with creamy mustard sauce, taco salad, lasagne, bacon wrapped chicken breasts.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the suggestions guys they sound great but I know there are quite a lot the others in the house wouldn't eat, I wouldn't say low carb no but I do have a 'fear' of things I haven't tried and tested since diagnosis so unfortunately at the moment there are quite a few things off bounds like pasta etc xx

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Do you carb count? Have you been given ratios? If you have then one way to rid yourself of the fear might be to experiment with a small amount, say 10g - 20g of the scary food and see what it does to your bs, how long it takes to have an effect and how long it lasts. Have it on it’s own so that your results aren’t affected by anything else you’ve eaten? It all depends whether you’ve got the time to wait to see the effect and how hungry you tend to get.

Reactions: becca59

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I've been carb counting since a month after I was diagnosed and yes I have my ratios, I don't really have the time at the moment and I get very hungry xx

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I eat whatever I want. Carb count and bolus for the carb intake. If I get it wrong then I remember for the next time I eat that food and adjust accordingly

D

Deleted Account

Like @porl69 I eat what I want and bolus for the carb intake.
I'd like to do the "if I get it wrong then I remember for the next time..." thing. Unfortunately, I get bored with food very quickly so eat variety. I can't even cope with the same thing for breakfast more than two days running (toast one day, yoghurt the next, eggs the next, cereal bar as I run for the train the next, fruit the next, ...). As a result, by the time I eat the same dish again, I'm back to the drawing board calculating my bolus requirements. Thankfully, they are mostly correct and I test regularly for correction doses.
The dietician once told me I needed to remember no more than 10 meals because that's all the average person eats - that's less than half a week for me! I probably eat getting on for 50 different meals in a month.

mollykins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yeah I'm eating pretty much the same things everyday too, porridge and raspberries for breakfast, a sandwich and nature valley bar for lunch and then potatoes and veg with either meat or fish for dinner xx
well done you have done well I am struggling you have given me something to think about

mollykins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Like @porl69 I eat what I want and bolus for the carb intake.
I'd like to do the "if I get it wrong then I remember for the next time..." thing. Unfortunately, I get bored with food very quickly so eat variety. I can't even cope with the same thing for breakfast more than two days running (toast one day, yoghurt the next, eggs the next, cereal bar as I run for the train the next, fruit the next, ...). As a result, by the time I eat the same dish again, I'm back to the drawing board calculating my bolus requirements. Thankfully, they are mostly correct and I test regularly for correction doses.
The dietician once told me I needed to remember no more than 10 meals because that's all the average person eats - that's less than half a week for me! I probably eat getting on for 50 different meals in a month.
It's just motivating yourself I think your doing well I have had biscuits and the odd bit of cake I have to be strictl with myself

mollykins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One of the things I do is a frittata, a recipe which I adapted from the diet doctor website. I hate cooking passionately, and even I can manage it. Stick it in oven for 20 minutes. Then I have 4 nights of dinners (it gives 8 pieces and there are two of us), which I have with some spinach leaves, and Boyfriend-Bells has with some salad.

I have cup a soup for lunch, but if you're a bit braver in the kitchen, you could make soup? Apparently there is also such a thing as a soup maker.
soup is brilliant Red pepper and Butternut Squash is lovely add onions 1 stock cube boil 20 minutes then Liquidise lovely

mollykins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I like variety - can't do with the same thing day in, day out.

I'm not the world's most accomplished cook but I'll give stuff a go - one pots (honey mustard chicken with parsnips is a cold month favourite), frittatas as @EllsKBells pointed out (BBC Good Food has a cracking Prawn and Leek one) and I can usually whip up something to go in a jacket potato. I tend to portion stuff out once made, freeze the excess and have it again in a week or two.
Good idea db69 you don't waste anything I love fricatta you have given me food for thought ty.