Looking to help other type 1s

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
To start, I would love to hear more about your philosophy behind eating a high carb/low fat diet and what improvements you saw in comparison to your previous diet.
This intrigues me as well. I find a high carb diet to really cause issues in terms of blood glucose stability (even when using things like pulses as carb sources). I also find that high carb causes significantly worse dawn phenomenon as your body is expecting to use glucose as a fuel, and therefore gives you more than when it is expecting to use fats.

Please can you elaborate on what high carb means for you and how you manage your diabetes with it @keiran88?

One thing I'd note is that even at 1:15, you were already very insulin sensitive! As a question, did you time your high carb diet with when you started the gym work? Is it possible that that is what made your ratio improve more than the diet change? I ask this because for me, my background insulin requirement dropped dramatically with gym work, but my insulin carb ratio remained very similar.

Griffter15

I think when you've been living under a strict regime for a long time and that gets lifted you might get a feeling of relief about all the things you can now do. And possibly down play the negatives.

For me I'm probably doing the same about a lower carb diet which I've been following since Christmas. Having done high carbs low fat for a number of years I now have better blood glucose levels alongside fewer hypos. For me that's great but I'm sure in time the dietary restrictions are going to start to annoy me.

It's interesting that you see your 1:30 ratio as being a good thing. For me that's make dosing really tricky as the margin for error is much bigger. Insulin being delivered even in half units would mean you needed to eat in increments of 15grams of carbs to get your dose correct?

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im 5ft 4 and 11.5st....Id like to get to 10 ideally but may be unrealistic! I literally don't do exercise. I walk my dog and thats about it! I leave the house at 7.30 and and I'm not back until 6.30pm everyday so I just can't summon the energy or want for exercise :-( that's def what I struggle with! Energy!
what your daily diet consist off? you are obviously busy hard to lose a lot of weight without exercising

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This intrigues me as well. I find a high carb diet to really cause issues in terms of blood glucose stability (even when using things like pulses as carb sources). I also find that high carb causes significantly worse dawn phenomenon as your body is expecting to use glucose as a fuel, and therefore gives you more than when it is expecting to use fats.

Please can you elaborate on what high carb means for you and how you manage your diabetes with it @keiran88?

One thing I'd note is that even at 1:15, you were already very insulin sensitive! As a question, did you time your high carb diet with when you started the gym work? Is it possible that that is what made your ratio improve more than the diet change? I ask this because for me, my background insulin requirement dropped dramatically with gym work, but my insulin carb ratio remained very similar.
nah I weight trained when I was low carb was as strong as red label milk though! yea my ratios were decent before I couldn't complain with my control etc

high carb for me is just keeping my fat low around 30 a day with 150-180 protein and the rest from carbs, dropping some fat at moment so eating around 2400 calories a day... been having around 250-300 carbs

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think when you've been living under a strict regime for a long time and that gets lifted you might get a feeling of relief about all the things you can now do. And possibly down play the negatives.

For me I'm probably doing the same about a lower carb diet which I've been following since Christmas. Having done high carbs low fat for a number of years I now have better blood glucose levels alongside fewer hypos. For me that's great but I'm sure in time the dietary restrictions are going to start to annoy me.

It's interesting that you see your 1:30 ratio as being a good thing. For me that's make dosing really tricky as the margin for error is much bigger. Insulin being delivered even in half units would mean you needed to eat in increments of 15grams of carbs to get your dose correct?
sure that's a valid point! yea it does mean I have to be aware of what I am eatng etc and when the insulin is going to peak etc and how long it has let in the body! in my experience the more insulin you are taking at a meal the longer it stays in your system etc and less accurate it is... as you know the body is mega dynamic and constantly changing depending on so many factors. Think that's what stuff such as dafne etc should just be used as a guide. Ultimately though would you not want to increase your I:C ratios? Less insulin, works better etc?

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

low carb is very effective there is no denying it I had great success but as you said can you really see yourself doing it for the rest of your life? I find potatoes,fruit etc to taste a lot better and have much better energy levels etc

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I done lower carb all my living life (bar 6 months of eating bread and cereal). It stopped complications and kept me a healthy 8-10. Only time I ever put weight on was due to the 6 months of extra carbs and I ballooned to a size 14-16....
The only thing that has been troublesome for me is hypo's due to lower levels..

One thing though. I developed slow colonic transit. Whether this is diabetes related or its idiopathic I cannot know. It wasn't due to high uncontrolled bloods though.

I've never found it restrictive though low carbing but I guess its because I make my own foods and nothing is processed.
I also exclude lactose and gluten and eat lower fodmap foods avoiding onions and garlic especially..
I still enjoy my food but eating out is restricted..

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't think of anything worse than doing low carb! I love carbs, and if I have less than 40-50g at a mealtime, I find myself flagging a couple of hours later. I eat between 150-200g of carbs a day, however I find if I am not doing enough exercise or eat too many carbs close to bed (e.g a big dinner at 8pm and going to bed at 10 or 11pm) I sometimes have a blood sugar level too high in the morning, or after breakfast, like my body is rejecting the extra carbs.

Genuinely don't think I could survive on less than 100g of carbs a day though, don't know how so many manage it.

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I done lower carb all my living life (bar 6 months of eating bread and cereal). It stopped complications and kept me a healthy 8-10. Only time I ever put weight on was due to the 6 months of extra carbs and I ballooned to a size 14-16....
The only thing that has been troublesome for me is hypo's due to lower levels..

One thing though. I developed slow colonic transit. Whether this is diabetes related or its idiopathic I cannot know. It wasn't due to high uncontrolled bloods though.

I've never found it restrictive though low carbing but I guess its because I make my own foods and nothing is processed.
I also exclude lactose and gluten and eat lower fodmap foods avoiding onions and garlic especially..
I still enjoy my food but eating out is restricted..
that's respectable, good on you for taking action

kieran88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't think of anything worse than doing low carb! I love carbs, and if I have less than 40-50g at a mealtime, I find myself flagging a couple of hours later. I eat between 150-200g of carbs a day, however I find if I am not doing enough exercise or eat too many carbs close to bed (e.g a big dinner at 8pm and going to bed at 10 or 11pm) I sometimes have a blood sugar level too high in the morning, or after breakfast, like my body is rejecting the extra carbs.

Genuinely don't think I could survive on less than 100g of carbs a day though, don't know how so many manage it.
whats your fat intake like? sometimes I find a mixed meal later at night can do same... tend to avoid larger meals at night if I can also

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's surprisingly easy is the reason why so many manage it. You can make a great deal of food that is both tasty and filling with very little carbs. It's really quite surprising how easy!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1455138428.628954.jpg

Avocado souffle

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1455138459.345147.jpg

Stuffed pepper

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1455138492.011685.jpg

Best omelette ever!!

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1455138541.861833.jpg

Best curry ever

You got to experiment....
And even if you freeze things like curries they don't have to be carb laden foods in life....

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I should have taken a photo of our chicken Stroganoff and Sausage Casserole!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That curry looks amazing!!!!!!!!

It did 6 meals!! Even without anything else!! No cauli rice, nothing else with it.

When food is good I just can't stop taking photos!!

The two avocado souffles in picture had got stuck together, so its all experimenting really...

Low carb definitely isn't boring!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, will find it tomorrow..

Basically though it was either salmon or chicken (salmon was gorgeous).. Coconut milk.. Mines in a carton (not tinned) and left in fridge over night so the watery stuff separates and I just use the thicker milk.. Then it is a 1/2 jar though of curry paste..
Tomatoes only taste good in a curry if sugar is added.. So don't get tempted to shove any in.
This curry had just 1 butternut squash in and also a cup of peas.
Mushrooms can be added and onions fried up first but I can't eat them so miss them out.

Will get exact recipe tomorrow... The salmon goes in at the end because I leave it all stirred up for 20-30 mins and that is enough to cook the salmon pieces...