Loosing the will to check

bronte slack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys, I've been diagnosed just over a year now and all has been going well. But this year like many other pre diabetes years I have felt down. I have been trying to ignore my diabetes and not been checking my sugars or even wanting to refill my pump when it becomes empty. I realise this is very bad and is affecting my health. I just can't find the will to be able to check my sugars and take insulin. Not to mention missing my clinic appointment. I need support but nobody understands me.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've been diagnosed for only around 3 weeks now so I guess my situation is quite different and I probably haven't been through what you have yet but I have had at times. Sometimes I feel like not checking but I do because I have to. We don't like doing all this but we have to now to stay healthy. We have to make sure we are in control of everything and not let the diabetes control us. Just remember if you get into a habit of checking things then it'll be easy and you'll start feeling a lot better about it. Hope that helped and if you want to message feel free to :)

Reactions: 4 people

bronte slack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you. I hope everything is okay with you diabetes and not. I guess I'm just finding it hard to do anything right now not only diabetes related. I just wish it would go away. But it wont.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would be lying if I said I know how you feel but I think I have suggestions which may help. Start attending your clinic meetings again and either discuss with them or others about how you feel. Most people are bound to go through bad stages and they should be able to slowly help you feel a bit better. They are only there to make us feel better and help us :)

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you. I hope everything is okay with you diabetes and not. I guess I'm just finding it hard to do anything right now not only diabetes related. I just wish it would go away. But it wont.
hi, you aren't the first where it just gets all too hard, you only need to read the forum for 10min to see that :)
there is an anon care line you can ring about anything big or small or just a chat
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Teens/Help-and-support/We-can-help/Careline/

TBH from what I have read on the forum, with teens, your bg is going to be all over the place anyway and what worked last week doesn't work this week.
it sounds it could be a bit like diabetic burn-out and a bit of depression, I'm T2 but I have a bit of depression, so I know what it's like to feel down and you just want to pull the bed clothes over your head and stay in bed.:confused:
the old saying of a problem shared is a problem halved is true, grab your mum and tell her you want a shoulder to cry on and not be cheered up and told how wonderful and brave you are. Ask your team or dr for a counselling appointment. it's good that you have got it a bit off your chest here and your feelings need to get out or they just fester :lock:

remember the meter is just a number to help you adjust your insulin, it's not an exam with pass and fail, an in-range number has the same value as a high or low number with your BG control :writer:

this isn't from a dr but it makes sense to me
http://www.diabetesexplained.com/diabetic-burnout.html
http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-five-stages-of-grief.html

I hope you didn't mind my grandpa lecture, I mean well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hey guys, I've been diagnosed just over a year now and all has been going well. But this year like many other pre diabetes years I have felt down. I have been trying to ignore my diabetes and not been checking my sugars or even wanting to refill my pump when it becomes empty. I realise this is very bad and is affecting my health. I just can't find the will to be able to check my sugars and take insulin. Not to mention missing my clinic appointment. I need support but nobody understands me.
Hi Bronte,
you need to print off what you have written here and hand it to your DSN with a large help on it. Or even write down all of your problems and post it to your DSN. Hope fully this will help you as well.
I'm not going to tell you off or tell you that you are stupid as all you need is some encouragement and guidance.
The consequences though of no compliance are
No driving licence if you want one at some point.
Your pump will be removed as non compliant and improper use. (not using) not attending clinics or testing.
You wont be able to have children
Your sight will go
Kidney damage and the list goes on. :(

There is a lot of help out there, you need though to be brave and say to your team you have a major problem, how can I resolve it.
Having diabetes is a right pain in the butt at times but in this day and age it shouldn't stop you doing very many things in life :)
Do you have any help from parents?

Can you start with the barest minimum of 4 tests a day? Before meals and before bed?
I'm sure there are plenty f people on the forum who are willing to help you as well. :)

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
CarbsRok suggestion to put it all down in a letter and hand it to your DSN is a great suggestion.

Whatever you do don't struggle alone, ask for advice from your HCP's so that they can help you overcome these difficulties, good luck Bronte.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I assume you have had some formal training with pump and hopefully a carb counting course........?

maybe a wee refresher course or some time with your nurses might help you reignite the motivation.......:)...

its definitely your teams responsibility here and not yours as any pump user should be in the routine of testing comfortably without the pressures of everyday life getting in the way.......

fingers crossed your team can help you..............good luck......

bronte slack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you everyone, I'm feeling better tonight ending the night at a 12.5 after having others support into encouraging me to check again. However I am still feeling extremely unhappy with everything but at least my diabetes is a bit more under control tonight.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hey bronte, we are here for you , we all have our }#%* moments sending you a big (((hug))) we are all in this together! All the best::))

Reactions: 3 people