losing more weight; high fat with grapefruit added ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
aid61401-v4-728px-Eat-a-Grapefruit-Step-7-Version-2.jpg
what do you think of this article claiming that mice on high fat diet combined with grapefruit lose more than without grapefruit ?

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0108408

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ill-...eZaQa6I4zqQ_ijhhY_hGRPpAjePI67tLMFVzafQWF3g-r

Last edited:
Reactions: Evie-D

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a mouse either. I would also check meds beforehand. Statins and other things say avoid grapefruit.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes but I wonder if the grapefruit juice makes some of ones body´s enzymes work better i a more healthy way...I am going to give it a try.. after all there has been a lot of hype of grapefruit in banting-methods years back..
it seems to have also affected blood glucose in a lowering direction.. which is weird as there is carbs in grapefruit juice

And yes it is important to know what medications are hugely affected by grapefruit... it can end up dangerous.. but could also in a controlled approach maybe lead to a lower intake of some kinds of medications...

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think anything about the article because I didn't read it but I know what my meter says about grapefruits. I love them and I might eat one right before swimming or such but I find them hard to dose for, like most fruits.

Reactions: Freema

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d be highly sceptical. We’re not mice, fructose is not good for us and the authors of the study think that high fat diets without grapefruit will make you gain weight, which those of us on LCHF or keto have proved not to be true.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sigh... Rodent studies.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If anything,grapefruit lowers my sugars.Dont know whats going on,but it certainly doesnt seem to be harming me.There is a bit of research out there saying it may lower insulin resistance.I like it as it seems to be an innocuous way to get citrus.So for me,backed up by testing,it works,or at least its doable.

Reactions: Antje77

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not a mouse either. I would also check meds beforehand. Statins and other things say avoid grapefruit.
Grapefruits say to avoid statins.I agree with the grapefruits on this one.:)

D

Deleted member 308541

I did not know mice liked eating citrus fruit, ya learn something new every day on the internetwebz... :***:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
If anything,grapefruit lowers my sugars.Dont know whats going on,but it certainly doesnt seem to be harming me.There is a bit of research out there saying it may lower insulin resistance.I like it as it seems to be an innocuous way to get citrus.So for me,backed up by testing,it works,or at least its doable.
Why do you feel the need to "get citrus"?

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do you feel the need to "get citrus"?
I LIKE citrus.

The first time I did the diabetes thing I did low carb/lower calorie,and it worked well,while I was on it.Problem was I thought I cured it,and stopped testing and fell into old diet patterns.Which led to Diabetes 2.0,LCHF that Im doing now.

All that to say I did a grapefruit daily,large ones,and my FBG's were in the 4.6 ranges,and I forget the A1c but it was in normal range as well.So it worked well for me.

Reactions: Antje77

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I LIKE citrus.

The first time I did the diabetes thing I did low carb/lower calorie,and it worked well,while I was on it.Problem was I thought I cured it,and stopped testing and fell into old diet patterns.Which led to Diabetes 2.0,LCHF that Im doing now.

All that to say I did a grapefruit daily,large ones,and my FBG's were in the 4.6 ranges,and I forget the A1c but it was in normal range as well.So it worked well for me.
Fair enough but there's no need to shout.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not know mice liked eating citrus fruit, ya learn something new every day on the internetwebz... :***:

no mice are I guess not fond of citrus... it seems to have been forced upon them... as they were deprived from water... cruel actually... my cat wanted to try my grapefruit-water today... so maybe it is not that bad for other animals... but there is an essential point here where most animals differ from humans ; almost all of them can produce vitamin C by themselves...

anyway I am in general too high in blood glucose averaging ca. 6.3mmol , and now I add the carbs from grapefruit twice a day... it might affect one of my non-diabetic medications so I´ll take 1/3 less of that and drink 1 dl of grapefruit juice daily shared in 2 portions.one in the morning and the other half in the evening. so time will show how it will affect me..

Reactions: 1spuds

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The pink or red grapefruit are rather higher in carbs than the yellow ones - and it is fun to eat one in public as people are so used to them needing sugar. I have even had one cheeky onlooker pinch a segment and try to eat it, thinking it was an orange.
Come to think of it, I was eating three grapefruit a week when I was losing weight - I'd forgotten that.

Reactions: 1spuds

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My long term studies indicate that mice are more likely to die in a trap than lose weight eating a high fat diet - with or without grapefruit.

Seriously though I used to eat pink grapefruit regularly on a normal/full fat moderate carbs diet years before diabetes reared its ugly head, but I ended up with middle age spread well before I had to stop eating the grapefruit due to its incompatibility issues with non-diabetic medication.

Robbity