Losing the will to LIVE!!!

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Sick of the constant HIGHS!! Can’t eat f**k all without blood sugar rising!! I eat the same breakfast most days and it goes HIGHER than it did yesterday and the day before!!
IMG_2321.png

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Mine was exactly the same , I used to get fed up with what I would say is the dawn phenomenon with my liver dumping glucose into my system to get me going , bg s sometimes going as high as yours and then taking ages to drop , one thing I have done which seems to have almost eliminated the problem is cut out alcohol , it's like I'm treating my liver with more respect has made it work with more kindness .

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had 3 wheat bisks for Breakfast!
That does seem a lot of carbs to me but if that is what you have always had it does seem strange that it has changed , how long have you noticed this ?

Reactions: Neckarski_94

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Mine was exactly the same , I used to get fed up with what I would say is the dawn phenomenon with my liver dumping glucose into my system to get me going , bg s sometimes going as high as yours and then taking ages to drop , one thing I have done which seems to have almost eliminated the problem is cut out alcohol , it's like I'm treating my liver with more respect has made it work with more kindness .
It’s so frustrating!! Just out walking and it’s dropping rapidly!!
IMG_2323.png

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The fact that it then drops so quickly does seem like it is just a liver dump spike .

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
That does seem a lot of carbs to me but if that is what you have always had it does seem strange that it has changed , how long have you noticed this ?
The thing is I adjusted my insulin dose by adding a couple of units to see if that made any difference. Saturday it didn’t go out of range and yesterday and today it went HIGH!!

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I did have to experiment with my Basel and did up my bolus a bit but I was quite often then going low , I also set my Libre alarm to 9 and if it awakened me during the night as my dawn phenomenon sometimes started at 3 - 4 am I would give myself a 2 unit bolus jab it did work but now with the exclusion of alcohol which I will say used to be quite a lot, it very rarely happens .

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The thing is I adjusted my insulin dose by adding a couple of units to see if that made any difference. Saturday it didn’t go out of range and yesterday and today it went HIGH!!
If it's only been two days I don't think I would worry too much about it !

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
I did have to experiment with my Basel and did up my bolus a bit but I was quite often then going low , I also set my Libre alarm to 9 and if it awakened me during the night as my dawn phenomenon sometimes started at 3 - 4 am I would give myself a 2 unit bolus jab it did work but now with the exclusion of alcohol which I will say used to be quite a lot, it very rarely happens .
I haven’t been told to adjust my bolus insulin doses myself. I’m just sick of the HIGHS!! My basal insulin dose was 12 units at first but now it’s 10. I was having a few hypos during the night. I just slept through them! I’m doing a DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) course in October but that’s months away!!

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I haven’t been told to adjust my bolus insulin doses myself. I’m just sick of the HIGHS!! My basal insulin dose was 12 units at first but now it’s 10. I was having a few hypos during the night. I just slept through them! I’m doing a DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) course in October but that’s months away!!
If you are often going hypo during the night without waking you maybe confusing your liver into giving a liver dump of glucose to rectify the problem !

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
If you are often going hypo during the night without waking you maybe confusing your liver into giving a liver dump of glucose to rectify the problem !
I’m no longer having the hypos during the night thank god!

• Winner
Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Hi @Neckarski_94 I wonder if the online T1 bertie course might help you.

T1 diabetes can seem very complicated in the beginning, and I'm still learning how to manage mine after 54 years, so I think you may be expecting too much from yourself at this stage. The old phrase, T1 is a marathon not a sprint, comes to mind.

As a new diabetic you also may still be producing random amounts of insulin (called the honeymoon period), which just makes things more complicated. Sometimes I think it may have been easier in the days before cgms and glucometers (yes I am that old) when we never knew about the spikes we were having.

Please try to celebrate your victories rather than getting discouraged when a high happens, things should get better with time but you just don't have the data yet on how your body reacts to insulin and exercise and all the many other things that affect blood sugar.

I urge you not to compare your situation with the non insulin using diabetics on here who can often achieve normal bgs by means of diet. Some T1s do get good results with a low carb diet, but others find that they can manage a "normal" (whatever that is?) diet just fine once they've learnt to dose for it. (And that takes time).

Good luck and please don't panic. It will get easier.

Neckarski_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Hi @Neckarski_94 I wonder if the online T1 bertie course might help you.

T1 diabetes can seem very complicated in the beginning, and I'm still learning how to manage mine after 54 years, so I think you may be expecting too much from yourself at this stage. The old phrase, T1 is a marathon not a sprint, comes to mind.

As a new diabetic you also may still be producing random amounts of insulin (called the honeymoon period), which just makes things more complicated. Sometimes I think it may have been easier in the days before cgms and glucometers (yes I am that old) when we never knew about the spikes we were having.

Please try to celebrate your victories rather than getting discouraged when a high happens, things should get better with time but you just don't have the data yet on how your body reacts to insulin and exercise and all the many other things that affect blood sugar.

I urge you not to compare your situation with the non insulin using diabetics on here who can often achieve normal bgs by means of diet. Some T1s do get good results with a low carb diet, but others find that they can manage a "normal" (whatever that is?) diet just fine once they've learnt to dose for it. (And that takes time).

Good luck and please don't panic. It will get easier.
Thank you! I’ll check out the course!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn’t realise how many carbs wheat bisks had! I’m not a morning person and so I won’t be making myself an omelette in the mornings! What I have is easy and convenient.
Unfortunately @Neckarski_94 wheat bisk is mostly carbohydrate, so having 3 in one go isn't a great choice for those of us coping with diabetes. If you add milk, you can pour an awful lot of lactose (milk sugar) onto breakfast cereals.

If you need a breakfast that's quick and easy, you'll find lots of tasty breakfast options, including porrridge which contains no wheat or oats, in the Food and Nutrition neighbourhood of the forum.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Just a reminder to everyone posting on this thread that @Neckarski_94 is a new T1 on insulin . Though carbs can be a big issue for many diabetics, particularly T2s, many T1s inject just fine for them....