Losing weight

Velour

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it best to join a slimming club, if so which one? Advice gratefully received.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It helps you keep motivated I would imagine......

how much weight do you think you need to lose?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@novorapidboi26 has hit the nail on the head here.

It's often said that people are more likely to succeed in a pursuit when part of a group. So you may find something like Slimming World to give you that extra push that you may (or may not) need. I've never been so can't comment first hand, however some family members swear by it.

If you feel that you're determined enough to do this solo, then there would be no need to join a club. There is more than enough advice and guidance (from trustworthy sources) online to keep you right. This site is one of them:) You'd also avoid having to pay for that advice as well...

If you'd like to meet other like minded folks in person, then a club would be the way to go for you.

Good luck in your endeavours!
Grant

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I would say no unless you can find a group that supports a Low Carb High Fat diet that a lot of us have found to be great for controlling Type 2 . I am assuming you have Type 2 as your profile states.
There will be few slimming clubs that follow this. Why not just join us here? We can be upportive and usually have pretty good results..

Reactions: Prem51

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Is it best to join a slimming club, if so which one? Advice gratefully received.

You might like to speak to your GP. I live in High Wycombe and round here GPs will refer patients to either Weight Watchers or Slimming World. I think they pay for the first 12 weeks which will at least help you get on your way.

I think there are several benefits including having a choice of diet regimes including low carb, many recipes to add some variety and I think if you choose to "weigh in" with others, that may be of benefit also.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree with @bulkbiker - consider joining our low carb lifestylers here on the forum. The problem with many slimming diets is that weight can be regained once you stop dieting. With LCHF you change your way of eating permanently and adjust your proportions of carbs, protein and fats depending on whether you want or need to wither lost, maintain, or even gain, weight. So you never need go back to previous eating habits, and it costs you no more than your normal food bills.

Robbity

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There is a low carb program here on the site that is free to join. Why not give it a try? Slimming world will still be there if you decide low carb is not for you.