Loss of C & D entitlements

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moaning
Hi all, I am a newly diagnosed T1. I inject and take gliclazide. I have just had a letter from the DVLA, who are restricting my licence to 3 yrs, which I'm fine with; however the real bummer is that they are removing my entitlement to drive c1 & d1. I am a school teacher and I regularly take students out on trips.
I appreciate the risk however my lowest reading has been 3.8 since I was diagnosed on 11/3.

I'm a bit shocked by this decision and wondered if anybody knew what is the best way to challenge this decision.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Saddened to hear this,but it has happened to us all, insulin users that is. It's the rules. I have heard, however that there is a review underway whereby our licences would be good for 10 years, instead of the current 3. Perhaps this may be reviewed at the same time.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
If this is recent then it's because you need to provide 90 days worth of BG readings and attend a medical with DVLA approved doc. Once this is completed satisfactorily, you should get entitlement back. Get in touch with DVLA and they will inform you of paperwork required and next step. It is standard procedure unfortunately.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moaning
Cheers Mo that is very helpful I will give them a bell next week (whilst I'm in Snowdonia on a trip) restrictions don't come into force until the end of this month luckily. Thanks once again people.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If this is recent then it's because you need to provide 90 days worth of BG readings and attend a medical with DVLA approved doc. Once this is completed satisfactorily, you should get entitlement back. Get in touch with DVLA and they will inform you of paperwork required and next step. It is standard procedure unfortunately.

And then have a repeat annual medical with a DVLA doc as well.

I think my nearest one was Peterborough. For the regularity I need to drive a transit or minibus I couldn't be bothered.

denbo

Hi all, I am a newly diagnosed T1. I inject and take gliclazide. I have just had a letter from the DVLA, who are restricting my licence to 3 yrs, which I'm fine with; however the real bummer is that they are removing my entitlement to drive c1 & d1. I am a school teacher and I regularly take students out on trips.
I appreciate the risk however my lowest reading has been 3.8 since I was diagnosed on 11/3.

I'm a bit shocked by this decision and wondered if anybody knew what is the best way to challenge this decision.

At least u have the teaching job not like me I do hgv for a living and just got my hgv bk after 7mths ov waiting without any income and no benefits as they sed I adnt enough contributions stinks really as I've worked from age 16 and I'm 60 this yr and folk cum in this country paid nothin in and get benefits

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been through the same. 3 year restricted licence, and lost C and D. Thankfully I don't need to drive a transit or minibus, have only ever driven a van once for moving house.

It's all a bit meh....

Y3MBailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a teacher and equally can not drive minibuses. Can't say it has been too much of an issue just means I need to find someone else to drive on trips but as a general rule we never take trips out with just one teacher anyway.

On the plus side we get shiny new licenses every few years.... particularly like the new blue tint the new ones have :p

but in all seriousness a minibus license if your school is anything like mine is not something most have so it should not cause you too many problems. :joyful:

kind regards

enjoy the rest of your summer :headphone:

Matt