loss of hypo symptoms

johnny37

With no hypo symptons what would happen if left untreated? Would you be rendered unconcious without warning? Or would warning symptons occur before that happens? No comments about better control please.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Johnny 37,
With lack of awareness of Hypos, you run the risk of having too much insulin in your system, causing your BG to fall to the extent that you lose conciousness and cause injury to yourself and others, OR WORSE. The speed of the loss of conciousness can be pretty rapid.
I was advised that if you start to lose awareness of hypos, running your BGs a bit higher for a period can help to regain hypo awareness.
I have also heard that the older insulins can be better than the modern GM created insulins in regaining hypo awareness.
I don't want to harp on but if you drive, try to get this sorted out before DVLA catch you out because nipping this in the bud can be quicker and less of a "ball-ache" than trying to get back a lost licence, aside from the guilt if something goes wrong.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not experienced lows like that... Some people say that 'something' kicks in... But I'm never going to be a guinea pig for that experiment!!!

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
I'm a T1 since 1978 on MDI
I do get some warning signs but I'm pretty low when they do occur though ie below 2.8 to 2.5 ish although this week I did have a 2.0 with no signs at all. I checked before leaving work to drive home and was very surprised at the reading.
Anyways the only signs I get are some flashy spots in my vision If I happen to go from darkish areas to sunny/bright areas like going from an office to outside its very noticeable and sometimes I will suddenly feel heavy limbed. I have not gone unconscious though for a long long time. (15yrs plus)
The advice from books like Thinking like a Pancreas is to not to allow your glucose level drop below 4.4 for a period of at least 2 weeks after which the early sings can reappear but I expect you are aware of this already.
That's the only help I can offer I`m afraid
Alan

smifffy40

Dislikes
Cruelty to kids or animals.
Spongers who just dont want to work.
Immigration policy (no im not racist before people say)
Tories.
Carol Vorderman.
People who are too old to drive (two bad experiences ive seen lately)
I have had t1 for 21 years in 8 days time. My HB1AC is 6.7...Appx 3 months ago I checked my blood in the morning and was 3.7..I had my insulin 5 mins before. I was just about to have breakfast when my mam rang me from Tenerife , so I mumbled away on the phone for ten mins.. as soon as I put the phone down I couldnt help myself falling asleep. I woke up one and a half hours later with a badly tingling horrible taste in my mouth and shaking. My nurse said my kidneys (i think she said kidneys) must have released sugar or else I would have died. I could tell I had been really low by the sweat and numbness. But when i awoke my brain was working ok . I dont think all diabetics get this lifeline. Im lucky.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App