Lost insulin

ChrisY1981

I have lost my Accu-Chek glucometer, which also had my short acting insulin with it (Novorapid). I have taken my long acting insulin (Tresiba) as usual. I realise I should probably go to the hospital but it’s Saturday night so will be choaos! My dad has type 2 diabetes and takes Metformin so I’m wondering will it hurt to take a Metformin and will it be of any help?
Thanks

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ChrisY1981, I don't think metformin would be a good idea as it's not a substitute for insulin and won't help if you're high. I would ring 111 if you're in the UK and see what they advise, they may suggest an out of hours pharmacy or going to a walk-in centre for a prescription in the morning. As you've had your tresiba hopefully you won't be high, can you use your dad's blood tester until you get a replacement?
It's always a good idea to have back ups for everything - insulin pens, blood testers, finger pricker etc etc

Reactions: iceman39

ChrisY1981

Hi @ChrisY1981, I don't think metformin would be a good idea as it's not a substitute for insulin and won't help if you're high. I would ring 111 if you're in the UK and see what they advise, they may suggest an out of hours pharmacy or going to a walk-in centre for a prescription in the morning. As you've had your tresiba hopefully you won't be high, can you use your dad's blood tester until you get a replacement?
It's always a good idea to have back ups for everything - insulin pens, blood testers, finger pricker etc etc

ChrisY1981

Hi sleepster. Thanks for you’re reply. I have used my dads glucometer and I am currently at 26.6 mmol/l. I have been in contact with 111 and they are going to get a doctor to ring me within the next 2 hours so hopefully something sorted soon
Thanks again

Reactions: sleepster

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi sleepster. Thanks for you’re reply. I have used my dads glucometer and I am currently at 26.6 mmol/l. I have been in contact with 111 and they are going to get a doctor to ring me within the next 2 hours so hopefully something sorted soon
Thanks again
Oh dear, hope you don't feel too grim and they can offer some help soon. Are you able to test for ketones?

Reactions: oldgreymare

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Thanks again
Hope you managed to get insulin. I would walk into A&E instead of waiting for 111 in your shoes.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would go straight to A&E. Any overnight pharmacy may be able to provide some emergency insulin?

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
You really do need to keep a back up pen ,