Low blood glucose but feeling ok?

swttbsy5

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I certainly know the spike/crash cycle of reactive hypoglycaemia very well and for many years. What happened to me the last week (bgl 2.7) was not that. I think it was a normal part of the process of my body adjusting to low carb/keto.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sometimes until you do get continuous good levels, you will still get the odd spike or drop into hypo levels, at least you are recognizing when you are getting low readings!

swttbsy5

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have just read most of your posts.
Yes you have all the hallmark symptoms of hypoglycaemia, but because of you fasting for quite a period something else may be going on.

I did a fasting test to confirm the diagnosis of reactive hypoglycaemia.
This is usually done over a few days, up to 72 hours in a controlled environment supervised in a hospital. This test is designed to discover wether you have a hypoglycaemic episode during fasting.
If you don't go hypo, you have reactive hypoglycaemia.
If you do go hypo then more tests are done to find out what pancreatic condition is causing the Hypoglycaemia, such as insulinoma.

So I would definitely stopped fasting, until you know what is going on.

Best wishes. Keep safe
I saw the endo today. She was very open minded and helpful. Supportive of the keto diet and confirmed the previous diagnosis of idiopathic RH. I told her about the 2.7 reading when fasting and she suggested the 72 hour fasting in hospital test and also gave me a slip to get my own blood test if I want to do a 24 hour fast at home. She said do the test when glucose is under 3 if possible which is the best time to detect insulinoma - but suggested it's most likely not that and is probably RH and to be managed with the keto diet and no medication for as long as that can be avoided. Seemed like a really open minded doctor. She said my case is unusual and it shows that medical science does not know everything and hopes a study will be done into people living with RH and on a keto diet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For so many people 50 gm of carbs a day seems to be 'about right' - I could just about manage it, but it is easier to plan for 40 gm a day and wiggle room for the times when I'd like a dessert - though that doesn't happen often these days.
I did have a few hypo like sensations when coming down from the ridiculous amounts of 'healthy' carbs I was supposed to eat - I just had a drink and three grapes and that sorted it for me - I don't know if they were real or a carb denied brain having a tantrum, but they soon passed.
I'm glad to see your endo is happy with the idea of low carb and hope you can continue to see her.

Reactions: swttbsy5