low blood pressure whilst walking

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I have the dubious privilege of wearing a 12 hour BP monitor following my over-enthusiastic GP wanting to check my "lows" rather than my "highs" because I'm one of those people whose BP drops suddenly sometimes on movement from bending to standing, and after meals. However, I was shocked to see a rather low reading this afternoon mid-walk. I would have expected it to be higher.

The monitor takes readings every half an hour. The reading before my walk was 120/66, which is normal for me. 10 to 15 minutes into the walk (dog walk) the monitor bleeped and took a reading. It was 90/53. Half an hour later, after having returned from walk and whilst sitting, it was 105/70, and half an hour later, still sitting, it returned to 125/63.

I always understood that exercise, including walking, raised BP during the event. Anyone know why this happened to me?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any change from flat to uphill or a quick sit down perhaps? Changes in activity level or posture during exercise can cause this as well. Did you eat or drink anything?

A lot of athletes suffer from the same thing, due a low blood pressure to start with and a big, efficient heart beating slowly and that takes a few beats to catch up. I routinely have head swimming when I stand and a tri-athlete friend of mine tells me its a problem when going from swim to bike as you're heart is used to pumping horizontally and then when you get out of the water now needs to go up and down.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any change from flat to uphill or a quick sit down perhaps? Changes in activity level or posture during exercise can cause this as well. Did you eat or drink anything?

A lot of athletes suffer from the same thing, due a low blood pressure to start with and a big, efficient heart beating slowly and that takes a few beats to catch up. I routinely have head swimming when I stand and a tri-athlete friend of mine tells me its a problem when going from swim to bike as you're heart is used to pumping horizontally and then when you get out of the water now needs to go up and down.

Thanks for the reply. It was just a walk, partly road, partly rough ground, some inclines, nothing steep, brief stops as you do with a dog and to look at something. No, I didn't eat or drink during the walk and was on my feet the whole time. It really shocked me by how much it dropped. I am no athlete and am 66 years old.

C

catherinecherub

This article is quite good in explaining low blood pressure.

http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/l/low-blood-pressure

"There may be an underlying condition that is causing your low blood pressure. These include:

Have you cut back on your salt intake?

"Your GP may advise you to alter your diet so it includes more salt. However, don't do this unless your G.P. advises you to as this needs to be done in a controlled way".

If I was you then I would take my blood pressure sitting down, sstay sitting for 20 minutes and then stand up and take it again.

I know you are a young at heart 66 year old but it could be age related. @bluetit
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/hypotension

Orthostatic (postural) hypotension
This is very common, especially in the elderly due to a number of underlying problems with BP control. The baroreflex mechanisms which control heart rate and vascular resistance decline with age (particularly in patients with hypertension) who thus display lability in blood pressure. They are particularly prone to postural hypotension, and the effects of drugs.

These are only ideas but might help.

CC.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @catherinecherub

I guess this must be normal for me. I often check my BP sitting then standing. Sometimes there is a drop, other times there isn't. I know I drop post-prandial and from bending down to standing. It was just the walking one that surprised me as I was under the impression walking and exercise increases BP. I may put it down to the warm weather during the walk and my age. My average over the 12 hour monitoring test was 116/67, so probably nothing to worry about.