Low blood sugar high keytones

MamaBettany

Hi my two year old has been unwell with a tummy bug - the last 24 hours his bloods have been between 4-6 his keytones tonight are 2 - this is the first time we have experienced this - any advice ?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi my two year old has been unwell with a tummy bug - the last 24 hours his bloods have been between 4-6 his ketones tonight are 2 - this is the first time we have experienced this - any advice ?
Ketones are a problem for type 1's if they are ill and dehydrated and their blood sugars have been above 13 mmol/l for an extended period of time. They will need to follow sick day rules and take extra insulin and stay hydrated.

Reactions: MamaBettany

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
@MamaBettany
Forum rules don't allow us to diagnose (and I honestly don't know what is going on here). While it's quite possible that these ketones are just because he isn't eating, given his young age complicated by the fact that he isn't eating and is T1, I'd contact my medical team if I were you. I'd ring 111 if you can't get through to someone in his team.

How are you managing on the insulin front if he isn't eating? (I see from your previous posts that he was diagnosed T1 in January?)