1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low blood sugar

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by Jac25, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Jac25

Jac25 Type 2 · Member

Hi, I'm pre-diabetic, and was slightly derailed from LCHF over Christmas. I've been back to low carbs properly since New Year, but my blood sugar has been all over the place - as high as 10.5, and today, as low as 3.6 (2 hours after eating a bowl of porridge). I am struggling to lose weight as I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome at the moment, which severely limits exercise, but I have been fasting until late morning, then having brunch and a main meal (low carb, not ultra low) in the evening.
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Any advice appreciated, I'm new to pre-diabetes. Many thanks.

2. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I too varied away from my usual diet and found my BS responded accordingly in 36 hours, however the same isn't working in reverse. @Brunneria seems to have the same problem. So I don't think you are doing anything wrong, other than being impatient for results - arn't we all!!

3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

To do low carb you'd have to eat a really tiny amount of porridge - porridge oats are going to be 60 percent carbs, possibly a bit more - eating something more sustaining such as meat or fish with a salad or low carb veges would perhaps give you more energy and also not cause insulin release.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook