Low Blood Sugar

Litzen67

Hello - I am new to this group. I searched it out because something is strange with my Diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 13 years ago, I am currently 53 years old. I treat it with 2000 mg Metformin and 36CC of Insulin daily. I tested positive for COVID on 07/19 (Since I have tested negative on 08/03). During my illness with COVID I had a really hard time keeping my blood sugar normal, it was low all the time. I was having a hard time eating enough to keep up with the medicine. Since this started I am only taking 1000 mg a day of the metformin and the same amount of insulin and my numbers are still low. I have sent an email to my Doctor and waiting to hear back. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello - I am new to this group. I searched it out because something is strange with my Diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 13 years ago, I am currently 53 years old. I treat it with 2000 mg Metformin and 36CC of Insulin daily. I tested positive for COVID on 07/19 (Since I have tested negative on 08/03). During my illness with COVID I had a really hard time keeping my blood sugar normal, it was low all the time. I was having a hard time eating enough to keep up with the medicine. Since this started I am only taking 1000 mg a day of the metformin and the same amount of insulin and my numbers are still low. I have sent an email to my Doctor and waiting to hear back. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Hi, I haven't had covid, but I've experienced lows, quite a lot.

A couple of questions if you don't mind?

Are you using a glucometer to record your blood sugar levels?
If so, what do you consider low?
Have you had any recent blood tests such as Hba1c?
Are you using too much insulin?

There maybe others along, that have T2 and use insulin.

Take care

Reactions: EllieM and Litzen67

Litzen67

Hi, I haven't had covid, but I've experienced lows, quite a lot.

A couple of questions if you don't mind?

Are you using a glucometer to record your blood sugar levels?
If so, what do you consider low?
Have you had any recent blood tests such as Hba1c?
Are you using too much insulin?

There maybe others along, that have T2 and use insulin.

Take care
Hello - Yes, I test daily, my blood sugar levels. I consider anything below 70 low, I start shaking and feel crummy. My last AIC was 8.1 two months ago. I did send a note to my Doctor to ask what I should be doing in this situation. I appreciate the feedback, thank you!!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Since this started I am only taking 1000 mg a day of the metformin and the same amount of insulin and my numbers are still low.
Hi @Litzen67 , welcome to the forum!
There can be a lot of reasons why the amount of insulin we need can change, either temporary or permanently.
If you have been taking the same amount of insulin and have been going low on that for weeks, please contact either your doctor or another HCP in a more direct way than through e-mail, it's likely your doses need some adjustments.
You can always phone 111 for advice, otherwise I'd give your doctor's office a phonecall tomorrow morning and make it clear it's urgent because you're going low all the time.

Wish you all the best, and let us know how you get on!

Litzen67

Hi @Litzen67 , welcome to the forum!
There can be a lot of reasons why the amount of insulin we need can change, either temporary or permanently.
If you have been taking the same amount of insulin and have been going low on that for weeks, please contact either your doctor or another HCP in a more direct way than through e-mail, it's likely your doses need some adjustments.
You can always phone 111 for advice, otherwise I'd give your doctor's office a phonecall tomorrow morning and make it clear it's urgent because you're going low all the time.

Wish you all the best, and let us know how you get on!
Good advice, thanks so much!!!

Reactions: Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to read about your difficulties, @Litzen67
Good advice above.
Thankfully, I have avoided Covid.
However, following my java, I have become more sensitive to insulin. My second jab was more than 2 months ago and I still need about 20% less insulin.
I wonder if this is for the same reason you are seeing lower levels

Reactions: Litzen67

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

You certainly did the right thing contacting your doctor on the issue.

What insulin/s have you been prescribed.?

Were there patterns to the low sugar episodes, like late morning, the latter part of the day or at night?

Litzen67

Sorry to read about your difficulties, @Litzen67
Good advice above.
Thankfully, I have avoided Covid.
However, following my java, I have become more sensitive to insulin. My second jab was more than 2 months ago and I still need about 20% less insulin.
I wonder if this is for the same reason you are seeing lower levels

Thank you for your response!! My Diabetes seems to be evolving. Last night before bed my Sugar was 117, so I did not take my insulin and this morning woke up in range instead of low blood sugar, felt much better. I can't wait to get into see my Doctor and ask a million questions. So weird!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

What you are doing does seem dangerous.
Surely you should not take the same amount of insulin even it it is making you hypo but adjust it to keep you in normal numbers.

Litzen67

What you are doing does seem dangerous.
Surely you should not take the same amount of insulin even it it is making you hypo but adjust it to keep you in normal numbers.
The problem is I was going to bed and my blood sugar was already in range 117, if I took any amount of insulin, my blood sugar would of tanked again. Low Blood Sugar is very hard on my body so I am trying to void it. I woke up and my blood sugar was 111. Something is off with my Diabetes, I am trying to get into the Doctors about it. I came onto hear to see if anyone has had this issue. Thanks!