Low blood sugars

jasonhinds610

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rainy weather
Have type 2 on metformin but having low blood sugars ranging from 2.7 - 3.8 almost on a daily basis and highs between 7.8-20 .any ideas of what can cause it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The highs of 20 are probably to do with diet - but the fluctuations might be reactive hypoglycaemia rather than type two.
Can you supply more information about when you see the extremes and what you are eating in the way of carbohydrates? That might throw some light on the situation.

jasonhinds610

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rainy weather
Pasta ,rice and bread mainly . It mainly happens around 17.00-19.00 around 1.5 to 2 hours. Last Saturday though at around 3 pm I had had lunch ,8 was at home watching tv I felt the symptoms of low blood sugar and tested, it was 3.0

jasonhinds610

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rainy weather
Pasta ,rice and bread mainly . It mainly happens around 17.00-19.00 around 1.5 to 2 hours. Last Saturday though at around 3 pm I had had lunch ,8 was at home watching tv I felt the symptoms of low blood sugar and tested, it was 3.0

1.5 to 2 hours after eating it goes down

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just ask what meter you are using? We recently had a new ember who was getting quite similar readings to you but it was his meter that was the problem. I'm guessing that you are aware that pasta, rice and bread are pretty bad foods for a Type 2 to be eating? They could well be the cause of your high readings..

jasonhinds610

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rainy weather
Can I just ask what meter you are using? We recently had a new ember who was getting quite similar readings to you but it was his meter that was the problem. I'm guessing that you are aware that pasta, rice and bread are pretty bad foods for a Type 2 to be eating? They could well be the cause of your high readings..
I have a free style insulin. I eat pasta ECT at work because it is a very physical job loading furniture by hand on to lorries other than that I avoid to many carbs as possible at home and on the weekend

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a free style insulin. I eat pasta ECT at work because it is a very physical job loading furniture by hand on to lorries other than that I avoid to many carbs as possible at home and on the weekend
I'm guessing thats a freestyle insulinx? have you checked your test strip use by date?
Are the high readings after you have eaten pasta etc or generally all the time?

jasonhinds610

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rainy weather
I'm guessing thats a freestyle insulinx? have you checked your test strip use by date?
Are the high readings after you have eaten pasta etc or generally all the time?
Yeah checked test strips dates they expire 2020. The high ones are mostly after eating but have had high readings of up to 20 in the morning before breakfast

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah checked test strips dates they expire 2020. The high ones are mostly after eating but have had high readings of up to 20 in the morning before breakfast
How long diagnosed? 20's in the morning is pretty high.. I might be tempted to firstly double check the reading by doing a second test and secondly going back to my GP and discussing..

jasonhinds610

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rainy weather
How long diagnosed? 20's in the morning is pretty high.. I might be tempted to firstly double check the reading by doing a second test and secondly going back to my GP and discussing..
Was diagnosed 2011 . I saw a GP last week and tried to explain the things that have been going on and wad fobbed off and told to book an appointment with the diabetec nurse and discuss it as there is nothing she can do

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was diagnosed 2011 . I saw a GP last week and tried to explain the things that have been going on and wad fobbed off and told to book an appointment with the diabetec nurse and discuss it as there is nothing she can do
Maybe start a detailed log of food and readings and take that along to the DN appointment.. if you are lucky the DN may well be better informed than the GP anyway..If not we can always try to analyse for you..

jasonhinds610

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rainy weather
Maybe start a detailed log of food and readings and take that along to the DN appointment.. if you are lucky the DN may well be better informed than the GP anyway..If not we can always try to analyse for you..
Yeah will do I have hba1c test next month and will see the DN 2 weeks after

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you test pre meal, before breakfast?

Have you done testing, one, two, three hours?

I'm certain a food diary would be very useful with those results you are getting.