under a tonne of stress so dont understand the lows

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Non diabetics go as low as 3.5 regularly.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
earlier i had a bacon and cheese twist, didnt check sugars
just feeling off and my BS is 3.9
been having lots of readings in the low 4's but never this low
i hardly take metformin now
just had a small cupcake as dinner still a while away
is this a cause for concern
im panicking at the moment
under a tonne of stress so dont understand the lows
I think you're at a point where you might want to discuss going off the Met with your doc/nurse? Sounds like you've got this licked with diet-only.

Don't panic, too much... If you feel odd, just eat a few carbs to get your BS up again, but if you feel fine, I doubt there's need to worry. I've hit 3.2 and got the shakes then, but was still quite alert enough to do something about it. So if you're ever uncertain, and feel hypo-ish (tremors, sweats, palpatations, crawling skin, weak knees, whatever), test, and have a sweet or something. Oreo's were my go-to for a while. ;)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
so should i been worrying or not
i used to be lucky if i got MY BS at 5

I would say keep an eye on your blood glucose levels.
I regularly record between 4-5 especially fasting or doing work or chores. I'm non diabetic.
Your readings are in normal levels, I would surmise that you have done enough to get your blood levels out of diabetic levels. And you have stabilised enough to get those readings regularly.
What was latest hba1c levels?

D

Deleted Account

Bear in mind our meters are not 100% accurate.
It is likely a reading over 3.9 is really avid 4 and not something to be too concerned about.
As others have said, it is not unusual for someone without diabetes to have a reading this low

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@licklemoose - As you aren't taking ant strong meds likely to cause hypos, if you felt fine, I'd be supremely unconcerned. Non-diabetics can see low numbers, but of course they rarely do, because they simply have no idea where their blood are running, given they don't test.

I often see numbers that low. If I feel fine, I just get on with whatever I'm doing. If I feel hungry and my meal (I don't snack) is about ready, I tell myself to be patient, then just enjoy my meal. If a meal isn't on the near horizon, personally I'd just have a cup of tea, with some milk, which fills a space until my meal is ready.

If you felt off with your low number, then having something to eat, or drink, makes sense, but personally I'd be trying to avoid a big carb hit.

Last edited: