Low calorie diet

Cathy74

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I have been low carbing but I am sick of it just wondering if I did a low cal diet would it be ok if I kept an eye on the carbs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I have been low carbing but I am sick of it just wondering if I did a low cal diet would it be ok if I kept an eye on the carbs
You're sick of low carb but you want to starve instead?
You can try but why not try and spice up your low carb way of eating instead?
What are you sick of?
Low carb and low cal sounds awful to be honest.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You could check out the meal options on www.dietdoctor.com for low carb or google low carb meals, keto meals etc for some ideas about changing it up some. Sure beats meals starvation diets like low calorie that deprive you nutrients and feeling full for longer.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low cal with low-ish carb is even more restrictive, would likely deprive you of vital nutrients and all in all... Is usually considered a crash diet not suitable for the long term. Deficiencies could develop that'd likely influence your health and quality of life.

Key to low carbing is loving what you eat. Find foods *you* actually enjoy eating. If you hate what's on your plate, there's no way to keep this way of eating up. I tried to eat all the right things, (if you believe the internet) but I'm not a flax seed girl, nor will I ever be proficient in baking elaborate, contrived masterpieces with psyllium husk and whatnot. I just stuck with decent, flavourful meals with lots of herbs and spices, made up out of real food. Eggs with bacon and cheese, salads with tuna, salmon, goat's cheese or steak. Above ground veggies with meat, fish, poultry... For snacks? Cheese, extra dark chocolate, olives, pork scratchings, cold cuts.

Find what works for you. Just try not to inadvertantly harm yourself in the process, eh? And if you can let us know what bothers you most about low carbing, maybe we have solutions and work-arounds for you.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: Allexandro and jwd1

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
If you hate what's on your plate, there's no way to keep this way of eating up.
Stunning statement - Well said.

And if you can let us know what bothers you most about low carbing, maybe we have solutions and work-arounds for you.
Indeed. I read your Post and thought what was it that was awful about for a Low-Carb diet? OK, for me it’s been Bread, Cornflakes, Porridge, the MIGHTY PASTA!, Potatoes and Rice. How on Earth can I cope with NO Spaghetti Bolognese? No Roast potatoes? No Lamb Biryanis? No Porridge in the morning? And instead I’m to up my Cheese, Eggs, Bacon etc? How?? Well guess what? I had an HBA1C of 89 and a 18.0 back in Sept’19 and I’m now HBA1C 52 and this morning I woke up with a 5.5. How? How have I done this? I came to this Forum, read loads of recipes and believed that if others can do it then maybe I could get an edge on this disease. I need to and have to. I’ve just turned 69 and thought a year ago I was a lost cause - not so. I’m on METFORMIN but no Insulin. I’ve had COVID19 and recovered. And I have to say that most probably my recovery has been down to having reduced my Diabetes status to a controlled base line. I’ve done this by expelling Carbs for the first 9 months to almost none on a daily basis and now have proved I can eat a small amount of Carbs knowing that possibly in the morning my overnight fasting will edge upwards, and it has, and know that I can wrangle it back in by the next day.

This is not a Sprint, it’s a Marathon to be take at your speed. Slow and steady is my motto.

My name is Estragon, and I’m a Diabetic.

Last edited: