1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb bread

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Paulm80, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I never had a bread maker even when I used to make "real" bread. What I make now is often mixed and baked in one container - about 3 mins in the microwave. See @Mel dCP's post (#6) back up the thread.

But here's a "proper" low carb sesame flour loaf I baked in the oven:
    sesame_flour_loaf.jpg
    (Similar recipe here: https://www.fatforweightloss.com.au/sesame-seed-keto-bread/ )

Robbity

• Like Like x 2
  2. Paulm80

Paulm80 · Well-Known Member

3. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@Paulm80 I have Tesco’s High protein bread which is 10g carbs per slice - it is quite thick and one slice loaded with filling or toasted with a couple of eggs is enough. Of the lower carb breads I’ve tried it also makes the best toast and freezes well. However the only way to find out which bread suits you is to use your meter and test. Re breakfast I’m not sure how much time you have in the mornings - I don’t have much so tend to have full fat Greek yoghurt with berries but cereals tend to be high carb and lower carb alternatives would be Greek yoghurt and berries or eggs either as an omelette or scrambled etc. Some people dont bother with breakfast but I always do - I can go without lunch or dinner but need my breakfast!!​

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gran25

Gran25 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

When I started on this road not so long ago I made some amazing LC crackers adapted from a recipe on the Diet Doctor site and almond flour scones. Problem was I ate too many. I actually think I like the fillings on bread more than the bread and so many of those fillings were previously considered "bad for you". I now usually use celery as a carrier for smoked salmon, deli meats, cream cheese, almond butter and any number of yummy stuff, but to be honest, sometimes I just use a spoon.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have a couple of slices of the Hovis Low Carb each day. Not quite every day. But when I do then two of those slices is the maximum.

6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I got a loaf of the Livlife bread today - I got some of the Asda protein bread recently I need to compare the two. The Asda stuff is dense and also expensive, though I don't use much bread these days - I restrict myself to one pack of 5 slices a week.
    Once you stop using it regularly it becomes far less a fall back food.

7. Brekkybic

Brekkybic Type 2 · Newbie

LivLife (Waitrose) or Hi-Lo (Sainsbury's). Half the carbs. The Hovis stuff is as good as useless.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook