Low carb, cholesterol, statins: reasons to reconsider

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve always been quite anti statins and refused them at diagnosis despite ldl being a bit high. (Opting to see how low carb helped). Now I’m reading xanthaloma (yellow lumps in corners of eyelid) can be related to both high cholesterol and diabetes. This week I’ve come up in sporadic “spots” on my legs that just might be eruptive xantoma also linked to both.

Does anyone has any experience with these? Is there evidence of which groups of patients specifically are helped by statins? I’ve heard of familial hypercholesteroleamia (sp?) which may be different to standard high lipids in evidence and reasoning to take statins

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only ever heard of the experience in France, where there was a rebellion against statins and an increase in the number of deaths was forecast, but surprisingly the death rate fell by almost that exact number.
An analysis of the people living in an area of Japan which has a larger than expected number of people over 100 years old found that the oldest people were living with higher cholesterol and eating fewer carbs than the average for the area.
I no longer take statins, and my husband has given them up too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be some debate about whether people with FH actually die younger than the general population (it would appear not) so maybe not worth worrying about.
As for statins I'm even more a no after watching Nick Mailers presentation that delves into how they actually work.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sounds like you should see a doctor, stat.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you should see a doctor, stat.
Possibly, but I don’t see a “stat” urgency over a few spots that may be anything. And when I do go I fully expect a statin prescription written before I even get through the door! Which I have been seriously against. I just want to be forewarned with decent quality knowledge before I do go in if it doesn’t resolve itself.

The only information I can find on the skin conditions says it’s related to cholesterol and diabetes but not how or why it should be treated other than the standard anti cholesterol message.

Reactions: Serena51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My trigs were a bit too high last time but my hb1ac recently was good. So half of it. I’ll see what happens in the next week or so and do a bit more research.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My trigs were a bit too high last time but my hb1ac recently was good. So half of it. I’ll see what happens in the next week or so and do a bit more research.

A bit too high isn't the same as a high concentration - some people with problems have trigs in double figures.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After an initial misdiagnosis (again) it turns out the bubonic plague looking rash now covering all 4 limbs and a fair bit of my torso is in fact guttea psoriasis. Yay go me another autoimmune issue! Likely triggered by a throat infection just before the rash. Hopefully it’ll clear with steroid cream in few weeks/months. As it typically affects people a fair bit younger it does seem odd that that I get it now bgl and weightier finally under control.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
After an initial misdiagnosis (again) it turns out the bubonic plague looking rash now covering all 4 limbs and a fair bit of my torso is in fact guttea psoriasis. Yay go me another autoimmune issue! Likely triggered by a throat infection just before the rash. Hopefully it’ll clear with steroid cream in few weeks/months. As it typically affects people a fair bit younger it does seem odd that that I get it now bgl and weightier finally under control.
Just be aware that steroids can affect blood glucose levels:

https://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/loop-blog/steroids-diabetes-effect-glucose-levels/

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only