Low carb = diarhea??

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Could a reduction in carbohydrate intake lead to a week-long bout of diarhea?

Also had my eyes tested about three weeks ago and was told prescription has stayed the same, but for the past year i've noticed i've had to peer over glasses to read...and its got particularly bad this past week...could it be linked to diabetes? Even though BG has actually been dropping for past week.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Can only speak for myself here but I find low carbing tends to make me more constipated than loose!!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
hoolyuk said:
Could a reduction in carbohydrate intake lead to a week-long bout of diarhea?
I have never heard of that as a reaction to a reduction in carbs, so I suspect you have picked up a tummy bug.

Also had my eyes tested about three weeks ago and was told prescription has stayed the same, but for the past year i've noticed i've had to peer over glasses to read...and its got particularly bad this past week...could it be linked to diabetes? Even though BG has actually been dropping for past week.
When your BG reduces, particularly when it happens over a short period of time, the drop in sugar can cause a temporary change in the shape of your eye lens, which can give rise to blurred vision or can change your optical range. This generally wears off in a few days.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hello hoolyuk,

Could the diarrhea be caused by anything that you're eating more of to replace the carbs?

Also, some artificial sweeteners can have a laxative effect.

Regards,
timo.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Low carb is more likely to lead to constipation than diarrhoea. Unless you are eatin humungous portions of fat.

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Since i increased carbs on friday things have settled down a bit.

Hadn't been using any artificial sweeteners or anything like that, had just removed bread and milk from my diet.

Is it possible that an increase in excercise and a moderate weight loss, bout 1/2 a stone, could have settled things down? Have only had 1 10+ reading since wednesday lunchtime [19 readings] and all waking readings have been under 7

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Finally seen the practice nurse. Seemed to be reasonably clued-up, though as i expected she wanted to put me straight onto meds, even though my average readings are down from 13mmol to 9mmol in 2 weeks by diet/exercise alone.

Have told her if my next HBA1C[mid dec] is above 8% then i'll go onto metformin, and she's making me an appt with dietician and podiatrist in the meantime.

Wasn't keen on me self-testing, thought it a waste of time, and also claimed i couldn't be type 1 at 43!!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've recently come across a piece wich suggesed that ssome new low carbwers get diarrhoea, because they start eating more fibre than they are used to. It sorts itself out quite quickly. Do you remember the fuss about "the F Plan Diet"?