Low carb diet side effects

Does anyone have any experience of the possible side effects of a LCHF diet? Basically, how did it go when you started?

This is something I'm probably going to have to try, just kind of scared of basically 'hacking' my metabolism.
Thoughts on long-term issues too?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have any experience of the possible side effects of a LCHF diet? Basically, how did it go when you started?

This is something I'm probably going to have to try, just kind of scared of basically 'hacking' my metabolism.
Thoughts on long-term issues too?

Depending on how low you go and how fast you may get a bit of keto flu then again you might not.
For me the side effects were significant weight loss, dramatic lowering of blood sugar levels to non diabetic and a general improvement in overall health.
Oh yes I also made a load of new friends here and learnt a whole lot about Type 2 diabetes and my own metabolism.
One last thing which may or may not be considered positive - I also became a bit of an evangelist for an ultra low carb way of eating.

Reactions: SammyDerby

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you might want to keep an eye out for how solid your dumps might become... mine went pretty solid and it was not too great.. though the painkillers for frozen shoulder probably did not help. :)

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Our side effects (that is effects apart from normalising blood sugars and reversing diabetic symptoms) were weight loss, suddenly feeling very happy and healthy, full of energy, a sense of getting our lives back. That was four and a half years ago. We both continue to be well and energetic and feel at least a decade younger than we actually are.
Should you be concerned about possible initial negative effects, have a look round the Diet Doctor site, which goes through the various issues. We had none of these.
Sally

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I suffered carb flu because being a panic merchant I jumped in too quick. Take it steady and slow at first until you find the right levels for you. Good luck.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it could be wise to add a multi vit tablet and some calcium. apart from the poops it can effect liver and kidney function. whilst using it as a standard diet my practice nurse checked my kidney and liver function every 8-12weeks. oddly it was the statins thats messed them up caused quite bad liver function damage and muscle aches. the diet over two separate years of use did not effect the function.it cured the fatty liver that i had and reduced my cholesterol to normal levels. my hba1c at the time was 37 and remained stable. compared to low calorie diets its pain free. it does not stress the body like seriously low cal diets. im not promoting it but for me it works i just dont over do the fats.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The overall benefits are awesome so don't be put off by initial side effects. Long term benefits = much more energy, less spikes and much better overall control.
If I'm honest I found it very bizarre to be eating more of things I'd previously avoided in the past, like cheese for example.
I did struggle in the first couple of weeks, suffered a lot of lows especially overnight and first thing. Whilst they are draining in themselves I also felt really exhausted and a bit anxious about things as I was really overthinking and analysing my results.
My advice would be to take it step by step. Don't go cold turkey and reduce your carbs gradually and give yourself chance to rest as your body gets used to it.

Thanks for the replies.

The possible side effects do worry me. I already suffer from intractable constipation, insomnia, anxiety and reactive hypoglycemic symptoms and I can't really afford to lose any more weight either. It's ironic - many of the things I'm seeking to avoid are things I may have to endure further in order to be rid of them!

I'm waiting for an OGTT and a diagnosis, but in the mean time I think I need to take it slowly as advised. Maybe giving up bread as a start, tbh that would actually be a huge step for me, just figuring out what to eat instead. It doen't help that I'm useless in the kitchen and pretty much housebound too. Gotta start somewhere:eek:

Please for give my ignorance, but what is the difference between low carb and LCHF/ketogenic? Is it merely one of degree? Won't eating low carb without high fat basically mean starvation?

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb is anything under 130g carbs a day whereas ketogenic is under about 25g a day.
High fat is taken by some to mean the overall % of fat in the diet compared to other macronutrients some people put it at above 60% others go closer to 75/80% fat. Quite a few people are fine at high fat levets, others ( including myself) are not. Some people seem to go for a Xgram per day range of daily fat, which may just reflect the % fat they are personally aiming for
Its a case of experimenting and seeing what works for you. My line is to make the least changes necessary to get a significant improvement

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My philosophy on life is - approximately - don't push your luck.
The Greeks used to say 'meden agan' and probably still do, meaning 'nothing in excess'.
Having read and heard of the complaints about eating a low fat diet many seem to be due to trying to see results greater, or sooner, without regard to everything that is going on - like those who drink far more than necessary and then have to deal with the consequences of loss of metabolites. They reason that as adequate water is advised then more than adequate water must be better - and so on.
If things are going wrong - aka side effect - on the low carb diet that normally means that a central interpretation is not suiting you - unlike medication where there can be side effects even when the tablets are doing what they say on the packet, low carb is not a hammer to knock your metabolism off the square, it is a wedge to level it up and make it right again.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As @hankjam described you will likely see a change in your toilet habits, some of which may hurt a little.

Another side effect is having to pretend to be deaf when everyone tells you that you’re mad to do it.

Strangely enough after over 30 months of eating this way, I am starting to get “carb cravings” whereas I rarely did when I started.