Low carb diet, tired, hungry, weight not moving

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: low carb diet, tired , hungry , weight not moving

ok today I tried a different breakfast , I had 5 tablespoons of scotts porridge oats with semi skimmed milk and a sweetner in it ,,
now . is porridge ok to eat ?? or have I used to many oats lol

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

sandysan said:
ok today I tried a different breakfast , I had 5 tablespoons of scotts porridge oats with semi skimmed milk and a sweetner in it ,,
now . is porridge ok to eat ?? NO!, NOR SS MILK - USE FULL-CREAMor have I used to many oats ?? lolYES - LEAVE THEM OUT COMPLETELY

Ian:
If you want a quick, easy & sustaining b'fast, try nut porridge:

ground almonds, coconut flour (or desiccated), milled flax seed, add flavour with cinnamon, cardamom, low cal drinking choc, etc ....
4 - 6 d'spoons mixed with boiling water, or m'waved with FULL-CREAM milk - it does thicken.

Nuts provide a sustaining blend of veg fats, proteins & fibre, & low carb. They don't give a BG spike, & last for twice as long as a cereal b'fast - & if you do need something late morning, cheese (or nuts).

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

From another thread

IanD said:
I did the same experiment with 40 g oat porridge with readings every hour:

Oat porridge:
300+ Kcal
fasting - 6.6
1 hour - 13-7
2 hours - 9.1
3 hours - 4.5
4 hours - 4.6
Seriously hungry mid-morning

Fruit & Fibre:
500 Kcal
fasting - 5.7
1 hour - 14.3
2 hours - 5.1
3 hours - 4.1
4 hours - 4.7
Seriously hungry mid-morning

Nut porridge:
373 Kcal
fasting - 5.8
1 hour - 7.4
2 hours - 5.5
3 hours - 5.7
4 hours - 5.4
Sustaining for the whole morning, with no significant spike.

The low carb, high fat nut porridge provides a sustaining b'fast whereas the "traditional" cereal b'fasts demand a further snack mid-morning. My experience is that I have plenty of energy for active sports without resorting to energy drinks or bananas. My weight is stable, with a BMI about 26.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

i find it hard at the moment to try and cut everything out , but am trying so hard here ,
last time i eaten was last night at 6pm. i had chiked 2 small boiled new potatoes , lots of cabbage and sprouts , after a yoghurt ,
2 hours later bs was ,,, 5.0. then before bed it went up to 5.6 . then when i woke up this morning it was it was 6.2 ,, why is it going up when i didnt eat since 6pm last night ???

today i had 4 tbls spoons porridge and 1 high seeded toast as i was hungry , 3 hours later my bs was 5.5

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

sandysan said:
i find it hard at the moment to try and cut everything out , but am trying so hard here ,
last time i eaten was last night at 6pm. i had chiked 2 small boiled new potatoes , lots of cabbage and sprouts , after a yoghurt ,
2 hours later bs was ,,, 5.0. then before bed it went up to 5.6 . then when i woke up this morning it was it was 6.2 ,, why is it going up when i didnt eat since 6pm last night ???

today i had 4 tbls spoons porridge and 1 high seeded toast as i was hungry , 3 hours later my bs was 5.5

Don't!

It's normal for bs to rise in the morning, it's your bodies way of waking you up.

Those are good figures.
I made smaller changes, I dropped the potatoes for sweet potato, as they release sugar more slowly, switched to low fat yoghurt, smaller portions, but if you feel starving all the time you won't last the course. So a plum or two in the evening, or a cup a soup,
Burgen bread was a slow release for me, but then again that's a good figure even with seeded toast.

Low GI worked for my bs, then I went low calorie for weight loss. But from the same selection of foods I was eating previously, I just choose low cal, so fats and carbs are very restricted.

It's took me a long time to become T2, it's took two years to change my diet to one that I'm happy with, and I'm in control of.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Sandysan
I've been low carb for a number of years. I don't eat bread, other than Burgen or Livlife, or other baked goods I also haven't had a portion of breakfast ceral for years. I occasionall have 2 baby new potatoes [portion size matters!] or a tablespoon of steamed rice.
I'm 66, and have lost loads of weight, although I do sometimes get tired, it's not a major part of my life. I keep active by going to water execises 3 times a week and the gym and hiking. As well as running after very young grandchildren. I consider my low carb diet as essenial to my good health. My Bs remain in the range of 4.5 - 5.5 pretty much all the time and my HbA1c hasn't risen out of the 5%s for about 8 years.
Low carb works, but it MUST be high fat and yyou have to keep those carbs RIGHT DOWN. 150g or 200g carb per day is LOWER carb, but NOT LOW>
Hana

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

hanadr said:
Sandysan
I've been low carb for a number of years. I don't eat bread, other than Burgen or Livlife, or other baked goods I also haven't had a portion of breakfast ceral for years. I occasionall have 2 baby new potatoes [portion size matters!] or a tablespoon of steamed rice.
I'm 66, and have lost loads of weight, although I do sometimes get tired, it's not a major part of my life. I keep active by going to water execises 3 times a week and the gym and hiking. As well as running after very young grandchildren. I consider my low carb diet as essenial to my good health. My Bs remain in the range of 4.5 - 5.5 pretty much all the time and my HbA1c hasn't risen out of the 5%s for about 8 years.
Low carb works, but it MUST be high fat and yyou have to keep those carbs RIGHT DOWN. 150g or 200g carb per day is LOWER carb, but NOT LOW>
Hana

What happens if you don't keep fat input high.
I'm on a low calorie diet, which is working well, but carbs are very restricted, and fats are virtually zero. I'm losing weight, having no bad effects, but what should I be looking for?

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You do need the fats as that is the alternative to carbs for fuel, I don't personally believe they need to be saturated fats though, I mainly get my fats from mono and polyunsaturates and that seems to work fine for me.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Your readings aren't bad actually. There are guys around here with readings in the teens and when I started, 9s and 10s were common.

Some people advocate low carb high fat. I found some time ago that zero carb high protein only worked for me, but it was not sustainable. In fact, I felt unwell. When I was starting the day in the 9s and 10s I cut out all simple carbs and ate limited complex carbs, so, brown rice, wholegrain bread, wholegrain rye ryvita, wholegrain pasta and so on, and kept an eye on portion size. I also cut off the excess fat off meats, limited the types of cheese and so on. I found that I wasn't always hungry and the weight came off and the BGs kept coming down.

I avoid things like skimmed milk with the porridge but use milk subtitutes, one called Koko is my favourite. Don't trust supermarket wholemeal bread. Most of it isn't wholemeal. Waitrose wholemeal for example only contains 6% wholegrain flour. It's a joke. Pumpernickel is good, and filling.

As your readings are not too bad at all, see if a low GI diet suits you. You are in a position where you can start off cautiously cutting down and being careful with what you eat. You also have to think about what you ate before. For many people, simply cutting out sugary stuff, sweets, buns, biscuits, chocolate bars and so on is already a major improvement to their diet. You may not have to do much more than cut all that out.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Thommothebear said:
You do need the fats as that is the alternative to carbs for fuel, I don't personally believe they need to be saturated fats though, I mainly get my fats from mono and polyunsaturates and that seems to work fine for me.

I don't want to put fuel in though.
I want to burn off my stored fuel, so surely putting either more carbs or more fats than I burn in a day will add to the store, whereas avoiding them will let me burn off some of mine?

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

so much to learn so much to think of not knowing what to eat,or if its good or bad for you.....
this afternoon, for dinner i as out and about shopping and i thought hmm what can i have to eat so i went to sainsburys and bought a packet of chiken tikka fresh not processed, so me and my hubby shared it . and i had a treat a cappochin coffee ,,,well i got homw and wowwwwwww my bs was 7.6 and i thought i was doing good ,,

the other thing that puts me off eating fats is that i am already big at 17st over , i have cut all the rubish out choc,biscuits, pop, ect ,, and been eating or trying to eat what i thought was healthy but obviously not , but i have managed to loose nearly a stone in weight in three weeks ,,,,,,, now its at standstill , so if i eat cheese, bacon sausage ect, altho my bs may be ok , im going to put the weight back on ,,,, sorry if i sound a bit thick here , but its so hard to take it all in :D

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

You're certainly not thick.

You've done all the right things, and there is an awful lot to take in.

Again 7.6 after eating isn't bad.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

sandysan said:
so much to learn so much to think of not knowing what to eat,or if its good or bad for you.....
this afternoon, for dinner i as out and about shopping and i thought hmm what can i have to eat so i went to sainsburys and bought a packet of chiken tikka fresh not processed, so me and my hubby shared it . and i had a treat a cappochin coffee ,,,well i got homw and wowwwwwww my bs was 7.6 and i thought i was doing good ,,

the other thing that puts me off eating fats is that i am already big at 17st over , i have cut all the rubish out choc,biscuits, pop, ect ,, and been eating or trying to eat what i thought was healthy but obviously not , but i have managed to loose nearly a stone in weight in three weeks ,,,,,,, now its at standstill , so if i eat cheese, bacon sausage ect, altho my bs may be ok , im going to put the weight back on ,,,, sorry if i sound a bit thick here , but its so hard to take it all in :D

If you've quit the chocolate, biscuits, pop, and lost a stone in three weeks, with a bs of 7.6, why do you think you're doing anything at all wrong?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

The reading you think is high was probably caused by the milk in the coffee.

11g of carbs in a glass of milk, so go Americano next time if you want to.

There may be a bit of sugar in the tikka sauce as well, but again, when you're out, it's better than a sausage roll, so it's a good choice.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

hhahaha doug could of easily had a massive bar of heaven chocolate lolol

:thumbup:

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

It will only burn off stored fat if you have a calorie deficit, but if that deficit is too great then it will hang on to the fat like grim death (starvation mode). It also appears that the stored fat comes primarily from excess carbs rather than dietary fat, so having fat in your diet will actually work for you rather than against you. I probably have not explained that terribly well and I'm sure somebody else will do so better than I.

All I can say is that I eat plenty of fat and protein, more fat than protein in fact, very little carb and I'm losing weight quite nicely on a 1400 net calories per day (that is calories eaten minus calories burned through exercise) that is 490 cals less than my basic daily energy requirement of 1890 cals. I tried the same calories intake and offset with a normal carb/fats/protein balance and failed to lose any weight at all for 6 weeks, going low carb immediately changed that. i normally do around 400-500 cals of exercise a day so I tend to consume around 1800 cals in total to offset that.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Thommothebear said:
It will only burn off stored fat if you have a calorie deficit, but if that deficit is too great then it will hang on to the fat like grim death (starvation mode). It also appears that the stored fat comes primarily from excess carbs rather than dietary fat, so having fat in your diet will actually work for you rather than against you. I probably have not explained that terribly well and I'm sure somebody else will do so better than I.

All I can say is that I eat plenty of fat and protein, more fat than protein in fact, very little carb and I'm losing weight quite nicely on a 1400 net calories per day (that is calories eaten minus calories burned through exercise) that is 490 cals less than my basic daily energy requirement of 1890 cals. I tried the same calories intake and offset with a normal carb/fats/protein balance and failed to lose any weight at all for 6 weeks, going low carb immediately changed that. i normally do around 400-500 cals of exercise a day so I tend to consume around 1800 cals in total to offset that.

That's what I'm doing, watching calories, admittedly it's low calorie, low carb and low fat, but from what I've looked at, extra calories, ie say 3000 a day, whether from fat, or carbs, will be stored up by your body.
So I'm slightly surprised when the low carb diet is recommended in this thread so much, without giving the idea that quantities must still be watched.
Even your diet is low calories, and in the same ball park as mine.
About 3000 calories deficit a week should use about one pound of body fat instead.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Low carb and low fat won't work. Those are the two energy sources available to you, if you low carb and low fat you are going to be in starvation mode and you will lose no stored fat because your metabolism will slow right down, and you will be very tired all the time. In fact if anything gets broken down its more likely to be muscle which is very bad because muscle tissue is what insulin acts upon to get rid of your excess blood glucose.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty

Low carb,low fat,low calorie will not be sustainable once all the weight has been lost unless you want to be a living skeleton and will not provide enough energy for a busy average adult to function on.

Paul

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

It's important to find one that works for you personally.

High fat previously I lost nothing, without counting calories with it. To be honest, 1800 calories a day isn't high fat, it's 200g of cooking oil, or just over 14 peperami would be your total food for the day counting calories as well. And the peperami would only be 8.5g of carbs.
So in theory, 50 peperami would be ok if I only watched the 30g carbs, but that's a whopping 6300 calories.

But low fat, low carb, counting calories, I've lost two and a half stone, got my HBA1C down from 6.4 to 4.6%, and felt good enough to join the gym, doing about 4 hours a week on the treadmill and resistance, and another 4 hours swimming. Still on target to lose another stone and a half.
Review with the doctor has just halved one of my meds as well.